MLS in Austin

Discussion in 'Austin FC' started by POdinCowtown, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    antnee7898 and wingman2468 repped this.
  2. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018

Confirmation from the Soccer Don himself. Everything important happens on friday ;-)

Jay34 repped this.
  3. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Someone also thinks the stadium leasing contract was signed today, no authentic source on that topic yet.

Jay34 repped this.
  4. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Happy MLS Cup! Hope you're able to sit down and watch the future of professional sports in Austin.

One day we'll be able to walk, bike, scoot, train and petty cab to watch the MLS Cup final in one of our own neighborhoods. We'll pre-game at one of the many bars and beer gardens already surrounding Mckalla Place, March along with 3772 of the best supporters in the League to the match, Chant with 20,000 other El Tree fans standing at our seats, and celebrate afterwards whether it be on Rock Rose, Downtown, or enjoying live music at the Celis Biergarten and the Mckalla Place Ampitheater.

Most of all, something I look forward to one day, Austin will get to come together and have its very own Champions Parade. Celebrating the effort of OUR team, who work year round to embody the spirit of austin.

Then we take our spirit and win at the international level.

Shawn Collins, unlikelyfan19 and Jay34 repped this.
  5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Are people in Austin actually embracing the "El Tree" nickname other groups used as snark?

6. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Snark or not, it came up organically in a Twitter exchange between Austin FC peeps. I think it's generally liked and embraced.

Shawn Collins repped this.
  7. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    The founder of Villa's Army (El Tri Supporters) here in Austin was the first to use it. I think its great! Alot of others do too.

PSV will be majorly successful here in Austin, and I'm pretty sure that upsets "other groups" more than anything else.

unlikelyfan19 and Jay34 repped this.
  8. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #34 MjrGrubert, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    El Tree?

[​IMG]

9. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    You have to remember, we are 35% Hispanic here and that culture in a lot of ways spans across a lot of demographics in Austin. Most of us root for both because we have close friends and family from Mexico. Now we rib each other and banter, but it's all in good fun. "El Tree" is embraced because it's a fun pun to fuse together what our community actually looks like.

Mr. Bandwagon, Shawn Collins and Jay34 repped this.
  10. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Very much this. As someone with deep Tejano ancestry (paternal abuelo's line: http://mymendozas.com/pedigree.php?...15&parentset=0&display=standard&generations=6), I find it such an amusing embrace of Austin and Tejano/Latinx culture and really do love it.

Shawn Collins and unlikelyfan19 repped this.
  11. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    Jay34 repped this.
  12. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't the University of Michigan nickname from "snark"? Also North Carolina Tar Heels was "snark" was it not? It happens I guess.

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes, that's the objection to it. Associating your US club with the Mexican national team won't win you many friends in the US soccer community. But you be you.

14. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    It will here. You are sounding extremely immature and close-minded. Our neighbors, friends, husbands and wives are from Mexico. This is what Austin (and Texas for that matter) is. You don't have to like it. We also don't dive a damn what the "US Soccer Community" thinks of us.

15. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    If anything the association with the El Tree nickname helps the Mexican soccer community become more involved with american soccer.

And if the US Soccer community had a problem with Mexican National team the wouldnt have opened a second franchise in Mexico's second home (Los Angeles)

unlikelyfan19 repped this.
  16. loonytoony

loonytoony Member

Newcastle
    Sep 6, 2018
    Austin, TX
    You may find attitudes a bit different down here. They're our neighbors, family, friends.. Sure our countries are rivals on the field, but we know the people well. They are us and we are them so to speak.

Jay34 and unlikelyfan19 repped this.
  17. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for letting them be them, cause I don't think they were going to be them til you said that. Now Austin can move forward with being Austin. I mean after all, it is their team.;)

Auriaprottu and wingman2468 repped this.
  18. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    In the Columbus thread, timon19 and POdinCowtown are discussing this topic a bit. Here's what POd had to say:

This one just speaks for itself. Ignorant fool.

You seem to assume that all of the Hispanic people in Texas were born in Mexico. Or that the children of immigrants won't still claim the sports allegiances of their parents' home country.

And who are you to place restrictions on whether immigrants can still support their ancestral teams?

I read somewhere recently in this debate, I don't remember where at this point or from whom, but it stated that most people tend to think of other cities or regions as just slight variations of their own. I think someone from Columbus speaking about Texan/Hispanic/Tejano/Mexican-American culture the way you are would do well to do your research to understand how Texas and Austin are different from what you think they are before you speak anymore on the subject.

Mr. Bandwagon and unlikelyfan19 repped this.
  19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Name calling is against the terms of service.

I've made no assumptions about where people were born. My mom is from Texas for what it's worth (Dallas area) and my grandparents from Beaumont. I think it's fine for citizens of Mexico on either side of the border to cheer for El Tri. And if they live in Austin also cheer for Austin FC. But the ones who come to the US and become US citizens should assimilate and among other things cheer for the US.

Given that one of the purposes of the founding of MLS was to strengthen the USMNT, it seems very odd for fans of a potential MLS team to be cheering for our biggest rival. I'm not sure how representative the Austin posters in this thread are, but they don't do their team much credit. You sound like MECHA members.

LainfordExpress repped this.
  20. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. People who think and say things like this in general and among other things are really poor examples of what America aspires to. Shame on those folks.

21. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    You assume we take pride in Mexican culture and our shared heritage because "we know or are related to" Mexican immigrants. As if the only Hispanic people in Texas are immigrants. So yeah, you made a pretty big assumption.

I know many Texans who support El Tri and then maybe support USMNT after that. And there's nothing you can do about it, despite how things "should" be, according to you.

unlikelyfan19 repped this.
  22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes, as stated by your fellow posters unlikelyfan19 and loonytoony. Maybe you guys should get your story straight.

You are right of course that I can't do anything about it, nor do I intend to.

23. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Be it known that PO's viewpoint is his own and not an Ohio one. The whole assimilate and leave your customs behind is hogwash.

That said, I don't believe anyone should cheer for El Tri. ;)

24. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    There's not an eyeroll emoji big enough...

Mr. Bandwagon repped this.