"MLS Hopes World Doesn’t Run Out Of Rich Guys"

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by DaveBrett, Aug 2, 2016.

1. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do these people think the same thing about franchises in other sports leagues?

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This is one of those sites that has long since jumped the shark. It's not worth giving the guy the clicks. It's always lazy.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  5. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True enough. It's just annnoying to see this kind of stupid from people who understand what's really going on. Or at least should understand.

(1) Growing businesses frequently operate at a loss, because taking full advantage of opportunity may require even more investing.

(2) If one business you own operates with a modest loss, but allows others you own to be profitable, it's well worth it.

Neither of these ideas are particularly complicated, and anyone who fashions themselves as an economist or business expert should understand it.

When my grad school hosted one of the first RSL execs (Steve Pastorino, I think), he said their overall business model was profitable if the team controlled both venue and broadcasting in addition to the team. That research was based on the darkest days of MLS (1998-2004).

jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it especially hilarious that, right at the bottom of the article, the links to related articles include headlines about the NHL's $500 million expansion fee.

Apparently the NHL has no problem finding even richer guys.

8. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    People clearly have never read fieldofschemes before. The site shits on every single sporting league that get subsidized stadiums. That includes MLS, NFL, NHL, and anything else you can think of. In fact, the only positive story of note has been about Orlando and their stadium plans (if you can even call it positive).

9. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if they oppose any use of incentives to draw businesses to a municipality, or if it's specific to entertainment, or even just sports.

Seriously, malls and mega-retailers and car dealerships and factories all frequently get tax breaks, subsidised infrastructure, or other assistance.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    In part because of this, I shit on anyone who even posts articles in the daily thread.