MLS Greatest Goals 1996-2003 DVD

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Przybylinski, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Brazil
    Not sure if this is somewhere else on the board.

I just picked up the MLS Greatest Goals 1996-2003 on DVD.

Has anyone else watched this? What do you think?

Personally I don't understand how you can only have 50 minutes of greatest goals in 8 years of play. The music is really annoying throughout the program. Some of the goals are great and it's pretty cool to see, the one thing I can't stans is the music. JP Dellamera hosts the program and introduces each section and then it's on with the music. They break it out by Bicycle Kicks, Indiv. Moves, Diving Headers, Left Foot, Long Distance, Free Kicks, Newcomers, Most memorable, Playoffs and Goalie of the the Year.

I paid $14.99 for it at BestBuy, you can order it on-line with free shipping.

Dave P.

2. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

Apr 20, 2001
    North Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States
    I'm still waiting for mine that I ordered long ago from deepdiscountdvd.com.

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    United States
    I have an older greatest goals VHS that I got free with some order (eurosport? MLSnet?).

I saw some great goals on there but I saw just as much bad (really bad) goaltending. there was some truly awful, awful, awful plays by keepers.

4. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I finally picked this up this afternoon, and all I can say is I want my $15 bucks back. I'm content with the idea that MLS can't afford the best. I wasn't expecting a lot of frills with the DVD, or any super keen inserts. I didn't expect them to pay the licensing fees for good or even decent music. Hell, I wouldn't have cared if they had a polka going on in the background. Suffice it to say, I'm not that picky when it comes to MLS merchandise. I was upset with this product.

They didn't even try. Whoever chose the clips to use apparently didn't have access to 60% of the available video. Many of the goals were replayed over and over again. Goals in the Memorable Goals section were run of the mill for the most part. The celebrations section was incredibly lame. How do you have a celebrations reel without Clint Mathis' "I love NY" celebration? How do you omit the Digital Crawl? Even though it was in the Open Cup, how do you leave out Lalas' sprint into the bushes? How do you leave out (as much as it aggravated me) Stoichkov's 2000 playoff "fishing reel" celebration?

Then you have the free kicks. Many were decent, but again, they completely ignored some of the best FK takers in the history of the league. How do you leave out Mathis? How do you leave out Kreis? For god's sake, how the hell do you leave out Etcheverry circa '96-'99!? Etcheverry was the embodiment of a good free kick in the early years. Not a single mention.

Then you have playoff goals and great saves, but only for 2003 and Onstad respectively. Why? Why not include the great playoff goals and great saves from '96-'03? Isn't that what the whole DVD was supposed to be about?? Then you could have Howard and Meola and Hartman etc. You could have Eddie Pope nodding in the winning goal in MLS Cup 96 in a monsoon (another goal that it was a crime to omit).

Here's another one that irked me, why the hell would you leave out John Wolyniec's miracle blast from last season?! They did include a Wolyniec goal, and it was a good, scrappy goal, but the one they used wasn't even in the same hemisphere as the one that should have won goal of the year. Simply insane to leave that goal out.

Finally, they seemed to use a lot of ho hum players from the older days. Players like DeAvila, Savarese, Welton, Moreno, RDA, Stern John etc should have gotten much more screen time. Of those six, Gio and Stern John had one goal each, and I don't recall seeing any from the other four (although there may have been one or two) and they are some of the great goal scorers in the history of this league. To put it in contrast, Mark Chung (and don't get me wrong, Chung is a fantastic player) had by far the most screen time with numerous goals shown on the clip. Chung is great, but he doesn't strike me as the player to dominate a great goals video. He deserves to be in one, but definitely NOT the featured player.

This just shows that the folks who set the DVD up spent even less time and effort choosing the content as they did with the extras, music etc. I can stomach less than the best when it comes to crap like the music. The league isn't rich, and I can accept that. It annoys the hell out of me when they half ass it on stuff that's free, such as having half a clue about the history of the league when they prepare a DVD ABOUT the history of scoring in the league.

5. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I was pretty pleased with the DVD overall. Certainly there was a lot left out that I thought would be included. The slow motion looked awful.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    United States
    I just picked it up yesterday and wasn't impressed, either.

That "edgy" effect blurring the replays was annoying, and, as you mentioned, the goals were lacking and the presentation was pretty pedestrian.

My 11-year-old liked it, though. So it wasn't a total loss.

But you'd think with 8 years of 20+ weeks of "Goal of the Week," they'd have had more goals to choose from.

7. the cup

the cup Member

#NYCOriginals
    Jul 10, 2002
    5 Points in Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    My hell, will everyone stop their bitchin!

I was blown away that MLS even came out with it, at least they are putting some product out there.

Previous to this DVD, MLS has only come out with three official productions. 1998 Season Review on DVD or Video, 2000 Season Review on Video only, and MLS Greatest Goals 96-01 on Video only.

I have the 2000 season video and the 96-01 Goals video and this latest one is much much better than any of them.

It may not be perfect but they are in a natural progression of putting out good products for us to enjoy.

8. the cup

the cup Member

#NYCOriginals
    Jul 10, 2002
    5 Points in Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    They can't include anything from the Open Cup because MLS doesn't own those images, the US Soccer Foundation does.

And as far as the other celebrations, it would have been nice to see the Digital Crawl I'll agree, but I bought the DVD not even knowing some of this extra stuff was going to be in there, I look at all of that as just a bonus. I bought the DVD to get the goals and would like it just the same even if the exta stuff was omitted.

9. the cup

the cup Member

#NYCOriginals
    Jul 10, 2002
    5 Points in Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    No, the DVD was not about the greatest saves, it was about the greatest goals.

MLS does need to come out with a greatest saves DVD, and I'm sure they will at some point, and when they do I'll buy it.

But this one was about goals and I again look at the Onstad saves from last year as just a bonus that they threw in.

10. the cup

the cup Member

#NYCOriginals
    Jul 10, 2002
    5 Points in Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Who are these ho hum players from the older days you are referring to?

Lassiter, Donadoni, Caricola, Balboa? I hope not.

I think what is great about the video is that they do show these guys from the past that not everyone knows about, at least someone that has maybe only been a fan of the league for only a few years.

And Gio has at least two goals, not just one. He has the bicycle kick from 96 and the one he scored in 98 or 99 (can't remember what year) where after the goal he jumps the signs behind the goal and runs over to the Metro fans and is showered with confetti.

Moreno has at least one goal in there also.

I'll agree that Chung is in there alot, but if anyone is the featured player its Twellman. I did ask myself why Twellman was being shown so much.

One mistake I did pick up on though was they had a Valderrama goal in the 96 section that should have been in the 97 section. You can tell by the uniform he is wearing that it did not come from 96.

11. the cup

the cup Member

#NYCOriginals
    Jul 10, 2002
    5 Points in Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    C'mon Kenn, I realize you are probably hard to impress, but I can't believe you wouldn't like this video.

If nothing else it preserves some of the history of the league on DVD where 30 years from now a kid that lives and breathes soccer can throw in his Dad's old copy of MLS' greatest goals and get a history lesson.

It may not show every single best goal but its going to show the majority of the best. Its going to show the terrible uniforms the league had in the early days, its going to show the terrible stadiums the league used to play in and I imaging the kid is going to look and ask why where there football lines painted on the field. The kid may notice in the back ground of one of the game in Dallas a sign hanging that says "No More Shootout" and the kid is going to ask what was the shootout. The kid may notice the announcer saying from one of the games in Columbus just as the ball goes in the goal, "Only three seconds left!" and the kid is going to ask how the announcer knew how much time was left.

It may not be a perfect production but I'm as happy as a puppy with two peters that the league put this DVD out and I can't wait for the next one. Hopefully for the leagues 10 year anniversary they will come out with numerous videos perhaps.

The Greatest Saves, The Greatest Players, The Greatest Games? Maybe even MLS Cup 96, 97 Etc. in their entirety. Hopefully.

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I was a little disapointed with the Goals DVD. I love it because it's an MLS product like this and that in itself is cool. I liked it because it showed me a lot of older stuff that I wasn't watching or wasn't paying attention to. I liked it because most of the goals were pretty good. However I was still kind of disapointed.

When this dvd was first brought up (I pre-ordered mine.) It was known that it was beign put out by the same production company as the guys who do the And1ne videos so I was amped up to think that it was going to be a really slick DVD. Unfortunately, anyone who watched it realizes that it isn't. Having JP involved was cool but the format was way too cheesy. "Soooome GREEaaaat goaaals were scored leeeeeeeeets check 'em out!" So needless to say I think I might have been expecting a little too much.

However, the biggest disapointment is something I agree with Jacen about. Just from following MLS very closely over the last few years and watching the Goals of the Week it's clear that they either couldn't or didn't put in some of the best goals. That 60% figure seems about right. Simply just too many of the goals were pretty bland and repeated. Just about every week on the Sierra Mist Goals of the Week I can show one of my non-soccer friends something and say, 'Check this out this is really cool.' There weren't enough of those 'wow' moments on the DVD.

Oveall I'd give the DVD a grade of B-. Low marks on content and production but solid because MLS put it out in the first place and it's neat to see some of the older guys, uniforms and stadiums.

13. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    The old Eurosport MLS goals video is much better, they just show the goals and the replay.

This new one, I wanted to like it. The cover art is cool. The production/picture quality is better. But that's where it ends. I commend the producers of the video for trying but I wish they would let me come in there and make the tape myself. If I had the rights to the video I'd do it myself. I have Final Cut software and a much better music collection than they do. MLS if you are listening I will do it for free! My brother has an Avid too and access to the Discovery channel's studios.

The main problems with the DVD are as follows:

1) the replay's. the jog shuttle thing they do is terrible. It ruins the continuity of the DVD as well as being completely annoying.

2) did we really need to bunch all the goals together by type?

3) the music. I'm all for trance music, but this stuff sounds like it was composed by my Grandpa. 'For an Angel' by Paul Van Dyk would have been nice sprinkled in with some 'Someone like you' by Ascension and perhaps you could have thrown in some New Order 'World In Motion' Euro '96 remix.

4) They forgot some of the best goals. There are 3 goals I can think of off the top of my head that I feel are essential for a greatest goals DVD.

a) Lassiter falling backwards (semi bike) against Columbus in '99 playoffs.
    b) 2001 playoffs Miami attack Chacon to Serna who crosses to Preki racing down the right side who fakes on way - 2 Wizards defenders run into eachother and fall down - Preki goes the other way and sends a brilliant pass to Chacon who taps it in.
    c) LA Galaxy 1999 as a series of one touch passes leads to Paul Caliguri dummying the ball between his legs to a wide open Carlos Hermosillo who puts it in.

There are more, but those 3 above were some of the best skill I've seen in the league and they didn't even make the cut.

5) They could have shown some great defensive plays like Eddie Pope and Cobi Jones making great plays to clear the ball off the line and some of Zach Thorton's great saves. They would have time to do this if they didn't spend 5 minutes on each replay making the screen all blurry.

Overall I think the DVD is a mess. I hope that doesn't mean the league will stop trying, I just think they need to bring me in to help them. The Eurosport one was good because it was basic.

The thing is, I remember growing up my brother and my friends and I used to love to watch the NBA's greatest dunks videotapes and stuff like that, MLS can make good video's if they tried.

If anyone has Kazaa or Limewire you can find some really good highlight clips mixed with music that shows what you can accomplish with soccer video.

14. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    United States
    as long as it had Mathis's goal against Dallas and McBride's volley from '96 the DVD isn't a waste.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    United States
    I'm guessing it's the Federation and not the Foundation. They're not the same thing.

And, the cup, it's hard for me to look at it simply as a fan. As a fan, sure, it's a good thing to have and it's cool. Maybe not for $15.99, though.

As someone with a TV production background, it's hard for me not to be critical of the pedestrian production.

They get props for trying, though, and it would be great if the league continues to put stuff out on DVD - the 'Quakes "BELIEVE" DVD was probably a good thing - like the Super Bowl DVD with highlights of the whole season and the big game. If they can get in the habit of doing a highlight DVD for the team that wins it all every year, that'll be a cool keepsake to have.

And they should do a big thing next year for the 10th season of the league. Like a 2-hour thing with not just highlights, but history and bloopers and great moments and awful moments.

16. the cup

the cup Member

#NYCOriginals
    Jul 10, 2002
    5 Points in Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Opps.

I went back and watched the DVD today, this time with a more critical view.

I did mention earlier that they had a 97 Valderrama goal in the 96 section. I also realized now they have a 97 Etcheverry goal in the 98 section. As well as I believe the Damian goal off of the corner kick was durring the 97 season and it was also in the 98 section. Anyone remember if that goal was in 97 or 98?

Another flaw I picked up on was durring the 99 season, Miami scored a goal where the ball was bicycle kicked into the box and someone flicked it in for the goal but they didn't put the goal scorers name on the screen. They should have found out the name of the player if they are going to include it in the video.

Then something else I picked up on was an own goal was shown durring the 2003 season but it was just quickly shown, no mention of the name of the player that accidentally headed it in. I don't really think that belongs on a Greatest Goals video, maybe a Bloopers video though. Wolde Harris also has a goal shown durring the 2003 season that was pretty routine, not sure why thats there.

And finally, the music gives you a headache after awhile. It would have been better had there been no music at all, just the sounds of the crowd and announcers would have been fine.

I'm still happy I bought the DVD, but there is room for improvement.

17. Captain Splarg

Captain Splarg Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    United States

If you watch the 1999 season review, that goal is said to be scored by Diego Serna.