MLS Flavors of the week: 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sombrerito, Dec 20, 2018.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Turned on FS1 to see Pomykal move past some Houston defenders on the right side and slide a low cross to Ferreira, who finishes to make it 5-1.

And then VAR wipes the goal off for a passive offside call on a 3rd FC Dallas player. Weak decision, IMO.

gogorath and IHSSOC repped this.
  2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You could say Hollingshead is an in-form player.

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hollingshead has been in fine form, but that's gotta be the best performance of his season still. Wins MOTM per WS w/ a 9.2 rating.

@ShaftBrewer Would you be interested in doing an every touch video for a 28 year old MLS left back? :)

wixson7 repped this.
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He'll be 31 1/2 at WC kick off in Qatar so just manages to slide under the questionable age bar unless he is one of those beaters like Bradley.

Let's face it, we're desperate for lb's. Would be very interesting to see how he deals with a rookie call up so late in his career. Hedges didn't fare well but cb is a little more complicated than lb. Having said that, Sweat, who is a good player and was unfairly maligned, struggled a little at lb too.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    How high is LAG's ceiling considering they get Alessandrini back next month?

FCD have a striker and an a-mid with The Cobra and Ferreira!

6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zimmerman is having a nightmare of a game

bsky22 repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #2432 Clint Eastwood, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Against that Dynamo team, every player looks like an "in form" player. :)

Hard to believe this because he's been around so long. But Jesus Ferreira is only 18. He's looking really strong in that #10, withdrawn forward kind of a role. FCD "insiders" have told us that he has his citizenship.

Also, as a USMNT fan, I'd keep an eye on rapidly developing midfielder Brandon Servania for FCD. He kind of gets lost behind the hype of Pomykal. He's really coming on strong. Not a surprise. I mean, this is a U20 World Cup player. He had an injury in pre-season that opened a door for Cerrillo. Edwin rushed thru it, and that limited Brandon's games early in the same. Now it seems order is restored.

Just as an aside, Brandon Servania's brother Jaden played at the Dynamo academy. Yuck. Also represents Puerto Rico.

As an FCD fan, I can only hope that they can keep the group together thru the end of this transfer window :) I suspect this is gonna be my life from now on with a club that's now growing as a "developmental club." [I realize that non-FCD fans on this forum would love to see Cannon, Pax, etc. go to Europe.]

Cannon, Pomykal, and Ferreira were all signed by FC Dallas at roughly the same time. Fall 2016/winter 2017. They're all on similar contracts. FCD reportedly has been trying to get them to sign long-term deals, but even they know that's a losing battle. Maybe Ferreira is the one they can convince to stay...………..

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Bradley's WS's since the Gold Cup--
    6.7 6.9 6.7 6.3 6.5 6.4 6.6

His WS before the upcoming National Call ups.

Bajoro and tomásbernal repped this.
  9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'm hopeful the FCD kids will stay through Olympic Qualifying. With them and Keaton Parks, the team should finish first, even without the Euros.

Hollingshead's play has been at a high level for some years now.

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I bet once John Nelson returns he takes his rightful place in the lineup over Hollingshead. Ryan, who many are arguing is team MVP, and kills it in the metrics, is just keeping the spot warm for a guy who provides no width and relies on sensible defensive positioning.

I'd be fine with everyone but Cannon returning for another run at so FCD balances profit with winning. But ideally Pomykal will transfer as well between this not being his first year appearing significantly and being a u-20 WC star. However, Ferreira and Servania (especially) need to establish themselves more. Servania hasn't earned a starter spot over Bryan Acosta.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think you'll find one FCD fan that thinks Ryan Hollinshead is team MVP. Of course, finding FCD fans isn't so easy. I'm one. Pomykal gets my vote as team MVP.

Hollingshead had been serving as a roving super-utility player. By mid June he'd played RB, LB, CB, RM, LM, and even as a defensive midfielder in that game against San Jose. Wherever he was needed. So even if he was the best LB on the roster, if the overall team was better with him at left wing and Nelson at LB............that's what the team did.

Nelson went down with his abdominal injury in mid-June, which provided an opening to Hollingshead for a fixed position. That's where he was needed anyway. Now Ryan has performed well, so he looks to retain the position. That's the way sports works sometimes. But if Reggie Cannon is sold in the next week, we'll probably see Ryan switch over to right back. [With Nelson returning as a LB.] That's just the kind of player Hollinghead is.

And by the way, that type of versatile player should be extremely valuable for the USMNT as well...........................

TCS35 and IHSSOC repped this.
  12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1160349481210187776 is not a valid tweet id

"FC Dallas may have an unlikely season MVP, as Ryan Hollingshead earned another Workhorse win" - Nathan Hill, BigDSoccer

So I found them, quite easily, in spite of the noticeably small fan base FCD has.

But the argument was Nelson beat him out and Hollingshead wasn't even that good, even at his best position historically, which has been left-back. It seems from some there is still lingering conflation between his strength at lb and merely adequate performances in his weaker positions. Outside of emergencies, FCD shouldn't be taking one of their best players away from his best position, when there's a sizable gap between that one and others, and between him and the backup. FCD has other versatile players like Ferreira who don't experience that kind of drop-off and who the jury is still out on what his best position actually is or if he's a "lock" starter yet.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    With the kind of cb's we have in Long, Robinson, Miazga, Brooks, Zimmerman, Parker, EPB, Ream and the lack of a really good lb for 2022, I wouldn't mind seeing some effort at going to 352 set up with offensive wb's like Arriola, H/head, Lima, Dest, TT, given a try. Who did I miss? Basically need some scoring out of wb's to justify them because we are dropping a forward for a cb.

The fact that we have a dynamic dmid like Adams who will probably develop into somebody who can do some damage forward makes it even more attractive to have more beef on the backline.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I doubt we see anybody called up from Toronto because they have two league games which would conflict with Sep window and they are sitting in 7th, just above cut-off for playoffs.

otoh, Crew have no conflicts at all..:).....:)

50/50 Ball repped this.
  15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Interesting stat: Vancouver's GK Crepeau received a 10 from WS in his 3-1 loss to San Jose.

San Jose started Wondo, Yueil, Thompson. Lima played previous game at rb and was on the bench for this one. I could see one of TT or Lima get the call into Sep camp.

From Curly Doyle over at MLS:

Here are the records San Jose set in the win:

• Most shots, total (43 – breaking the record of 38 set in 1998 by the MetroStars)
    • Most shots on goal (19 – breaking the record jointly held by three teams, most recently by LAFC last year)
    • Most shots, one half (25 – breaking the record of 23 set by KC last year, also against the 'Caps)
    They did not set the record for possession. Their total of 75% was merely the 13th-highest total, as per Opta, out of the nearly 7,000 games we have in our database going back a decade. Something to shoot for next time, I guess.

16. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is interesting. Jozy is not letting his big new paycheck slow him down.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theres been no single player more harmful to another single player's USMNT chances than Zlatan Ibrahimovic to Tyler Miller. Poor guy gets clown shoes-ed every time against big man Z

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Young CBs: Miles Robinson has gotten a ton of attention (and deservedly so, he’s made totw like half a dozen times) but there’s also Justen Glad

Unfortunately I doubt either makes a USMNT roster anytime soon given half a dozen other CBs below age 30 plus Omar Gonzalez... maybe U-23s?

USSoccerNova and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Watching DeBoer in Open final.

He seems to have made Atlanta into a much more solid team defensively.

Will have to add him to the list of USMNT candidates altho I'm not sure how much emolument he wants.

20. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Per Twellman Pomykal and Miles Robinson will be on the roster tomorrow

deejay and USSoccerNova repped this.
  21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Two of the top four are Hull City washouts. Of course, only a Hull City fan would see that which means I'm talking to myself.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    This is a fanbase that calls Greg Berhalter arrogant. People would literally need to make up a new word for Frank DeBoer.

onefineesq repped this.
  24. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Exactly what I wanted.

25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold your tung till you see the rest of the roster.