MLS Flavors of the week: 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sombrerito, Dec 20, 2018.

1. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    doesnt seem to affect the Bradley call ups...if Nagbe is a stop sign...Bradley is a Spike Strip.

2. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im just talking about style of play (not old and crap)- nagbes possession comes at the cost of any speed of play.

3. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    point stands.. not even worried about speed or age..Bradley will seek to backpass above most options...its a dangerous drinking game

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #1904 IndividualEleven, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Would make sense if Trapp and Bradley weren't in the team.

Berhalter only brought 2 vets in central midfield. It's not about Nagbe, imo.

5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1905 MPNumber9, Jul 22, 2019
    How does that contradict anything I said? Unless you're honestly assuming Gary and Brian never, ever talked to each other about things like the best destinations to develop young talent. It was confirmed that G. Kleiban advised both Llanez and Mendez against signing (more lucrative) HG contracts with the Galaxy. Gary is outspokenly anti-MLS / USSF when it comes to development; Brian had the sense to not openly bash his employers on his own social media accounts, but if we assume he had the same feelings as his brother then he at least had an ideological conflict of interest that undermines the club. Losing two of our best young prospects was the last straw. What club in the world would tolerate that?

False. Both players took contracts worth less than what LA offered to go abroad. Their monthly salaries have been described as "peanuts". But the Kleibans are guys (well, Gary at least) who have openly said it's better to go abroad for almost nothing than to stay in MLS. That's not the way to do it -- players should prove their value and demand what their worth, not offer their services at a discount. More importantly, Brian had a responsibility to grow talent for MLS, so he shouldn't have accepted that job if he didn't believe in that mission and couldn't fulfill it for ideological reasons.

Meanwhile, we have two academy products getting starts in big games right now. Given we've had to bring in two youngish guys on loan for mostly the same roles, Llanez and Mendez would definitely be getting meaningful minutes right now.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's been hinted at, certainly. I've heard that Gary is not officially working as a professional agent, so he's not bound by the ethical standards; he's actually, like, a physics teacher or something? Can't confirm that, though.

7. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ~2k/month.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  8. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I'm not. I'm a fan looking for the best players to be on my favorite team so they don't miss the WC again.

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typically BuLi salaries are stated post-tax and does not include typical perks like an apartment and use of a car.

E2K per month does seem very very low, That is the bottom of tier 4, non-prospect compensation. Why did they take that? What did MLS offer?

10. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS minimum for a player on a senior roster is currently around $80k/yr, and rising each year. Does anyone know if they were offered spots on the senior roster?

11. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think part of Nagbe's problem with the US team was...Bradley. I don't think he ever played a game that Bradley was not in the midfield. I doubt that Gregg will call him in, especially as long as Bradley is there, but I would like to see him with the likes of the youngsters coming up. He played quite well yesterday and seemed closer to goal than the last time I watched Atlanta with has been several weeks ago. But, alas, like Benny, I think Nagbe's chance of playing with the National team has past.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I was under the impression that MLS was trying to lock them up until their early 20s while going to better academies had no long-term lock-up - if they did well, they’d get a much better deal with their club and if they didn’t, they could leave and not be tied to a commitment.

If true, that’s a far cry from “irresponsible” and I think it’s good for MLS to know that they cannot lock up players past their mid/late teens. Does anyone know what MLS offered and the commitment? Has either of those two prospects signed new deals with their club?

Namdynamo, tomásbernal and truefan420 repped this.
  13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that the MLS has a long history or not playing youth or blacking balling players that want to leave. Just look at the EPB saga as a cautionary tale. Sometimes you take less to have a better chance to earn more down the road while having the most amount of flexibility. That’s what these kids did and it makes sense.

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s a damn shame if it has because he is the best ball circulator the US has had since Claudio Reyna. And, he has really improved his game. Granted, it’s not flash. But it has become consistent.

tomásbernal repped this.
  15. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    yikes.

tomásbernal repped this.
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prospect Hot List

Toye - Rewarded for streak w/ starter spot and kept it up w/ an assist which may have been a stolen goal by Quintero

Ferreira - Got citizenship a few weeks ago, may explain the recent downturn from pressure, but put in a strong performance over weekend

Servania - using the u-20 WC as a springboard, took the job from Cerrillo and has provided FCD solid 2-way play

Rodriguez - Houston struggled w/out him and didn't miss a beat in his return

Sands - also didn't miss a beat in his return and helped snap a team losing streak

White - producing and winning 1 v. 1 battles, solidified NJ starter

Araujo - showed versatility playing higher and performed well in big game, a future ferrari among fiats, gotta be getting big club interest

Robinson - shined on national tv and earned promotion from Twellman for NT to incorporate him soon

Parks - a lot less offensive outside USOC, but steady, someone NYCFC players look for

Glad - has enjoyed a resurgence after a year and a half lull in his career

Gonzalez - has been more consistent this season, making case for that 3rd keeper job w/ NT

Turner - Bruce gave him the job back he always deserved, amazing a gk legend like Friedel effed that up

ChuckMe92, Namdynamo, xbhaskarx and 5 others repped this.
  17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So you think the best players make the best team.

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's two-sided--I believe @yurch10 also was outspoken that everyone that played in Couva should never see the field for the US again (except one or two, but Nagbe was not in that very short list). Correct me if I'm wrong.

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the answer, but given that they were top academy prospects, I'd guess they were offered more than the senior roster minimum. MLS wants to hold onto the best young players for long enough to sell them for a few million.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #1920 Excellency, Jul 22, 2019
    The issue we were discussing had to do with how Nagbe felt about playing for the USMNT. He said it didn't matter as long as Nagbe was "the best player".

Do you think SanJose has the best players in MLS? They have the best record recently.

Here is Curly Doyle in April on the Quakes:

"Look, this roster is a mismatched patchwork of non-elite MLS talents. It's going to be an uphill battle to approach respectability"

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/04/03/armchair-analyst-almeydas-path-your-qs-answered-mailbag

21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your point now. I hope Nagbe comes around in his interest in playing for the Nats, and that if he does Berhalter keeps him in mind. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure yurch10 has previously included Nagbe as one of the "never call agains" because he started in Couva.

22. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Have you seen my posts over the last 3-4 years?

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What does "come around" mean? Presumably if somebody is uninterested - for good or bad reasons - something has to happen for him to change his mind. Personally, I think Nagbe has reservations about playing for USMNT for good reasons. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Come around" means that whatever has prevented him from being gung ho about callups changes so that he becomes gung ho. That, of course, is assuming his reported disinterest in getting a call up earlier (if it can be described as such) is true. I don't remember the precise quotes or circumstances.

25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think the better model is for them to get a piece of future sales after young players continue to move up the salmon ladder.