MLS Flavors of the week: 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sombrerito, Dec 20, 2018.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Luckily, we're in Concacaf.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Top 4 American teams in the East.
    1. Philly--have been giving minutes to Trusty, Real, Freese, Fontana, McKenzie, and Aaronson
    2. DC--Arriola, Pines, and Durkins
    3. Atlanta--Robinson, Bello, and Vazquez
    4. NYC--Parks and Sands

Top 4 American teams in the West.
    1. LAFC--Blackmon. Should be noted that Latif Blessing arrived via the expansion draft. Kaye came from the USL. The big midfield acquisition, Andre Horta, got shipped out.
    2. LAG--Efra and Araujo.
    3. Seattle--Ocampo, Leyva, Morris, Roldan, Bwana
    4. Minnesota--Dotson, Gasper, Toye. Should be noted Toye is competing for time with DP striker, Rodriguez.

That's a pretty solid group to start with, imo.

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was more thinking of forwards.

4. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long was coming off a long injury recovery. Once fit, he was the answer to a lot of problems.

Cannon made Tata move the much hyped Pizzaro.

I am a league agnostic. I want performance in the US shirt. The MLS defenders handled business. They get practice against very good attackers, that's one of the only advantages of the imported forwards in MLS. Mexico didn't have a winger better than what Cannon sees regularly in MLS. It is the simple truth.

gogorath, jaykoz3 and An Unpaved Road repped this.
  5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no.

what happens in concacaf is irrelevant even if FIFA is trying to segregate all confederations amongst themselves to benefit and continue European hegemony.

its the Wolrd Cup level that matters....and, considering that, many of the players are far too inadequate to be garnering the level of inclusion that they are.

6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1556 adam tash, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    the MLS defenders were okay, Cannon was decent....Long hasn't shown he can advance the ball at all.... they were the only MLS players that were decent....the rest are just not up to the level of players like Pulisic and Mckennie.

bradley, zardes, lovitz, arriola, morris, roldan, trapp even altidore all wilted under real competition. No MLS player was a difference-maker vs Mexico and none of them ever will be vs a team as good as Mexico or better. time to move on from those guys, imo. Steffen's distribution was pretty poor, but i'd keep him around.....

Moving forward, the entire backline was pretty bad playing out of pressure...any team that can high-press even slightly well will likely beat this version of the USMNT. That rests on the midfield as well as the backline....players like arriola, bradley and his pals....are not capable of performing under a high press and maintaining adequate possession that can turn into danger/chances. it simply will not happen with this cast of characters....but I expect ggg to soldier on with his pets.

7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    The terrible misfit shot aside, I thought Jozy was very strong in his hold up play and provided a good release valve to offset mexico’s press.

Once we started to build out of the back, we lost our momentum.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, yeah, I would keep Jozy around for sure...of all the MLS players he at least offers something.

But he has about 60 minutes of fitness in him...which is just crazy.

He's too muscular...needs to lose about 30 pounds....if he could press on defense, the team would be a lot better off.

manq360 repped this.
  10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd play him in Bradley's spot.

work-in lletget and nguyen and you'd have a great possession midfield that can create chances.....but, no, we can't have nice things.

11. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    And absolutely zero defensive bite.

rgli13, ceezmad, majspike and 2 others repped this.
  12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Muscular isn’t the problem. He just needs to work on stamina too.

13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the current defensive midfield has zero defensive bite....and they cannot play out of a high-press!

If you think the mexico b-team was bad...wait for european or south american a-teams.........in real competition not friendlies.

14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lee Nguyen is OLDER than Bradley............

Lletget hasn't been able to stay healthy. When Healthy, I agree he should be part of the National Team squad.

This is a huge problem for the US overall. Going back to the 2010 and 2014 cycles, the Men's team always had an edge to them. Everyone knew that they were going to be difficult to defeat, and they made opponents work for it. That hasn't been the case since the 2014 WC.

Now whether this is due to players aging out, a "lost generation" of players, teams no longer "fearing" the USMNT, players in the pool being disenfranchised with the NT setup due to shifting philosophies, or a combination of all factors I do not know. What I do know is that Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan, Jones, DeMerit, Bocanegra, Howard, Beasley, etc. played with an air of confidence and a chip on their shoulders that has been absent since the 2014 WC.

Winoman, DHC1 and Mantis Toboggan M.D. repped this.
  15. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Well said. I actually do see these traits in a few of our younger guys--McKennie, Pulisic, Adams, Arriola, Miazga, Weah, Cannon. But as long as Passive Mike is on the roster, even if he's not wearing the armband, he's going to be setting the tone for the team.

manq360 repped this.
  16. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy's miss it's one you see from forwards. I saw worse from Brazil-Argentina in this Copa America. He didn't miss by much.

Gregg misplayed the second half. No need to sub Jozy unless he asks for it. Have him stay high and bring Zardes to run around pressing.

Jozy is a 90 minute player for TFC. He went 90 back-to-back right before coming to camp.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah................Jozy is 29. People act like he's 36.
    And he IS the best forward we have in the pool right now in 2019.
    We all hope that we have some forwards emerge from the U20 pool like Sargent, Weah, and Soto. But they're not there yet. Sargent has scored two professional goals, and one was from 6 inches out.

Would I have called Sargent to the Gold Cup squad? Yes. I would have carried Morris as a winger, and dropped Jonathan Lewis. Lewis served no role on this squad.

edcrocker, largegarlic and jaykoz3 repped this.
  18. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    30 pounds! Stop it. What do you think he weighs?

onefineesq repped this.
  19. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't put Lewis on in the 80th minute with fresh legs against Mexico, there was no point of bringing him.

Sapong or Dax would have been more useful yesterday. He didn't bring a smash and grab type sub to this tournament. It's like he never considered that he might need to go route 1 late. GAM, Gordon, Casey, we have usually in the past had a big bodied forward handy for this stuff.

Winoman repped this.
  20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Long had one of his best defensive games last night and the only real test since the Venezuela match. Sure he was coming back from injury, but not sure why that would cause him to get pulled out wide, lose marks, get turned by dribblers, and apply weak pressure on a shot inside the box. I pretty sure he had a rough go in the CCL as well.

Getting practice against good attackers is a simplistic and naive argument about the experience MLS defenders get playing in the league. A defender doesnt face an attacker, but a team. The imbalance of MLS rosters mean there are weak links in opposing teams. This group of lesser attackers employ a much less tactical attack making it much easier to read the game. The defenders in MLS, including GKs, receive much less scrutiny on their play relative to the top leagues in the world. Dealing with this added pressure forces players to be much sharper.

Shutting down Villa and Giovinco didnt prepare Miazga for the EPL or Eridivisie. He was asked to improve his game or just seemed not good enough. It seems a shame to not learn from that experience and just claim how tough it is in MLS. Miazga looked much more comfortable on the ball last night and fewer back passes to Steffen. Long would benefit greatly from getting into a tougher environment.

21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga transferred as a 20 year old. How many 20 year old defenders are ready for prime time?

22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    google say 174...that would be perfect if it were true

23. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He absolutely manhandles CBs. Many top CBs are closer to 200 lbs.

How do you figure a 174 lb guy is going to be a hold-up forward?

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Well, there's Toye, Morris, and Vazquez.

comoesa repped this.
  25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Gotta qualify.

jaykoz3 and 50/50 Ball repped this.