MLS Flavors of the week: 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sombrerito, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the ATL-PHI game:

...Miles Robinson is a monster defender. Quick, strong, hard working, good vision, and passes well out of the back. It surprises me he is just now starting when he’s playing like a seasoned pro. It may be premature, but he could be the top defender in MLS if he continues to progress like he is.
    ...Although, I’m not a Shea fan. He had a much improved game off the bench.
    ...Carleton was HORRIBLE. He seemed like a kid who is just out of his depth. He offered nothing to the team.
    ...Aaronson already should be considered above Carleton.
    ...Nagbe is the most frustrating American player I can ever recall. He does some things amazing and other things leave you scratching your head.

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hayes is just a guy in my opinion. Doesn't get me going but other than that crazy shot last week Brian Acosta doesn't either. Neither makes enough key passes, dribbles etc for an 8.

3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t watch the Revs much but from I hear he should lose his job for a few reasons... that game tho would be a tough one considering that second goal for TFC was so blatantly offsides that the fact that it wasn’t called was travesty. How that was missed is beyond me.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I gave up trying to understand the rule. It touched a NE defender before falling to Toronto attacker who was offside; it would be like saying they were playing pool and took a bank shot. Maybe somebody has an explanation.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Edit: They explained the call on Wasrshaw's program. The defender made a conscious play on the ball and touched it. I thought it had caromed off his leg when I saw it live.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Last season, Jacori Hayes and Acosta were both top-20 in key passes per start among the 93 players who made at least 5 starts at the 6/8.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe I'm too hard on him. I don't think he's bad he just doesn't wow me. He's much more Gruezo than Pomykol and when Gruezo and Hayes are on together not much happens. I'd say he might be a good #6, an ok #8 and not a #10.

8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice to see that GB is not sleeping on Miles Robinson.

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and STR1 repped this.
  9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm not surprised - miles shouldv'e been a starter in MLS from day 1 but was stuck behind tata's love of argies....gonzalez perez is not even good.

people need to understand that just because a player isn't playing doesnt mean it is always becuase he isnt good enough or even that he isn't better than those who are playing ahead of him....sometimes it is just flat-out bias that keeps players out.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He shouldn't have been a starter form day one.

Tata was Robinson's coach and now you are raving about Robinson while suggesting Tata made a mistake? Robinson wasn't ready. Now he is.

btlove, IndividualEleven and jaykoz3 repped this.
  11. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    And conversely, simply because a player is playing doesn't necessarily mean he is better than those behind him. Could think of numerous examples with USMNT, especially w/ Arena, but unfortunately with GB as well.

FeedhimtothepigsArold and btlove repped this.
  12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    robinson played a game early last season - his first for atl - or one of his first - played very well - got rave reviews - tata said he was a great defender and then tata proceeded to keep miles on the bench the rest of the season - now this year, he is playing very well.

he wasn't playing because atl had higher priced vets on the roster at his position. not because he wasnt ready.

Patrick167 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He had 4 appearances in 2018 with a WS of 6.23

He has 3 appearances in 2019 with a WS of 7.02 in 3 matches so far.

I saw him play in 2018 and he was shaky and hesitant. He just wasn't ready.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This roster for FCD today, though. #Playyourkids.
    That's 7 (SEVEN) US-eligible players that are under the age of 23: Cannon, Pomykal, Servania, Cerrillo, Nelson, Roberts, and Ferreira (citizenship reportedly imminent). Game is being shown nationally on UniMas and Twitter...……………

Colorado, by the way, is starting their 17 year old homegrown winger Cole Bassett!

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Thought he was quite uneven in his 3 MLS starts last season. He did get 14 matches with ATL 2, though.

17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is he like 24? atl 2 aint cutting it bruh.

quite uneven?lol nope. tata said he was great.

just b/c players arent playing it doesnt mean they arent good enough! wow...why cannot people get that???!?!

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little friendly action, but 15 year old SJE forward Cade Cowell got his first minutes, and first goal against Monterrey via a Tommy Thompson cross. Young Cade apparently looked more useful than Wondo has looked this year.......but I guess we gotta make sure he breaks the record, or something......

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, FC Dallas matched their own record for most homegrown players started in an MLS game yesterday with 5 (Gonzalez, Cannon, Pomykal, Ferreira, and Cerrillo). Then RSL went out later that night and broke it!!! (Lennon, Sauccedo, Herrera, Holt, Toia, and Schmitt). Of the players on both teams, 8 of them are under the age of 23 (FCD also brought a 9th off the bench in 17 year old Thomas Roberts). We are peering into the future of MLS and thus the USMNT...……………………..

btlove, adam tash, RalleeMonkey and 2 others repped this.
  20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    As a New Englander, please consider it's the Revs when considering a critique of any of their players or coaches. If there was pro-rel they'd be in the 5th Division. They receive just enough money to claim they are an MLS team, but not one cent more. They play on a rug with football lines, coffee stains and used condoms. Poor Robert Kraft can't afford to invest in the Revs because his Patriots and Tom Brady need more resources. Whatever is left goes to Kraft's lawyers and the odd knob-polishing escapade.

21. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saief... in 2 games has a goal and 2 assists.

If he had even a decent striker on that team, he’d have 5 assists.

RalleeMonkey and adam tash repped this.
  22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we goddamn do.

Wondo isn't why we look like crap. He needs 2 goals, as a guy who's scored 10 or more goals a season every year since 2010... For all he's done for the team, it's not so much to ask to try to get him 2 more goals. Put Cowell on for Hoessen or Magnus if you want.

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will make a good fit in 3Gs front 3 on the left. He offers skill going forward and has experience playing as a wingback and defending which will be asked of him in 3Gs system as a LW/LWB. Doesn’t have the workrate that might be required against top sides but should have the punch we need against weaker sides. Wonder if he will get a look now that he’s in the MLS.

24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    He had plenty of workrate when I watched his Champions League minutes for Gent. I thought he was going to be a beast D-mid. I think he’s in the USMNT top 18 right now.

RalleeMonkey and CU soccer repped this.
  25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not saying it as a knock but against a top side we will be defending more and hitting on the counter. That winger/wingback will need to be fast and able to get up and down quickly and often. As well as be better defensively.