MLS Flavors of the week: 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sombrerito, Dec 20, 2018.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villafana has been mediocre this season. Perhaps it can be chalked up to how his coach, Savarese, wants to play, but I haven't seen the international caliber player of a few years ago.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  2. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with @IndividualEleven that if positioning is his great flaw, then experience will be his greatest friend. He's got the rest.

Eleven Bravo, Mahtzo1 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    50/50 Ball repped this.
  4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IndividualEleven repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    National Team duty gets the players hyped to return to their club to clear away the stench. :)

6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IndividualEleven repped this.
  7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fancy feet by Cannon on FCD's first goal to close w/in striking distance.

Morris scored to expand the lead to 2. Set up the keeper well by waiting until the ball ran to his outside/weak foot, flipping his hips last moment, and passing it inside the near post which wasn't fully covered yet.

You still see that bad instinct to use his right foot whenever possible though when he got onto the end of a ball on the break, tried to round it, and then missed the timing and angle to hit a teammate on the doorstep. He's got to shed that. When he does use his left foot, it's pretty accurate. I'd even argue it's better than most.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, Morris is something else right now. Came up with another a 2nd goal in the clutch. And would have multiple assists if not for ref mistakes and misses. Plus putting in some defensive work. The guy is a winner.

9. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    That was a great little turn and volley by Pomykal...would have been a highlight reel goal if the shot was a foot or so over.

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hat trick and game-winner in ET as of right now for Morris. Scruffy header, the type of chance he's gotten better at, after starting off the possession in deep slaloming players and outletting.

To keep possession he had to stretch on turf and stayed down for a bit. Then after the goal he came off. So a little concerned he might have an injury that he toughed out. Let's hope not. Would be really tough for him and us.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yeah, he didn't seem right, after he'd scored the last goal. Irresponsible of Berhalter to give two starts to the MLS guys who had upcoming playoff games.

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    For better or worse, MLS changed its playoff system, and players will have to manage.

1-0 Toronto, as Delgado pounces on a rebound from a Hamid save. That was pretty much a howler from Hamid, as he could have gotten a better save on Pozuelo's shot, which was but bounced in front of him.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The body can only manage so much. Berhalter needs to be responsible.

Delgado continues the strong second half to the season.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Great that play against a sleepwalking DC team will probably be enough to keep Bradley in the lineup another 6mo

TOAzer and Winoman repped this.
  15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t fool yourself he could play like shit and he will remain in 3Gs plans cause he knows the “system”

Namdynamo, RalleeMonkey and TOAzer repped this.
  16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morris should try losing about 10 or 15 lbs.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Morris is just a wide body. Altidore, on the other hand, is too jacked for soccer. Looks to have regained the bulk.

[​IMG]

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apparently, Morris just needs to keep doing what he’s doing...

“he’s so hot right now.”

19. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? He doesn't seem to have any endurance or speed issues.

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So long as he can go 90 then there’s no issue with the bulk. In fact, it should help him more than hurt him. He just needs to make sure he’s also incorporating flexibility/mobility exercises into his routine.

btlove and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Morris I also have to wonder how the diabetes affects his body. I think I'll stay out of advice and let him and doctor father deal with it especially as he seems to play well just the way he is.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're US national team fans we'll accept him just the way he is. It works.

Blake just allows another one right thru his hands. Has been doing that all season. What business does he have starting this season? From what I've seen Freese has been better, and that's backed up statistically. 8.49 above xg's allowed this season. Freese is .63 below. Just under a 500 minute sample, but still. It warranted an attempt at a transition.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In spite of being slight of frame, Aaronson wins the 50-50 battles to obtain, maintain, and retain possession. He also has fancy feet to not turn around and lose the ball. These are attributes we could use on the national team right now. He's not overly creative yet, but we're often playing McKennie or Roldan there.

Pomykal is better than any in this group when healthy, but has a similar concern. However, ultimately I think we just need more ball winners like him and Aaronson as a start. Then the US can break with speed. Hope the front 3 of Pulisic/Morris/Sargent/Weah/Altidore can finish the passes into space or create when we don't have it.

largegarlic repped this.
  24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They should go to
    HIs first worry is blood sugar level so he cant always turn away the sugar like you or I could. I know he has a pump now so that helps but he cant play games with it (I'm guessing?).

comoesa and Pegasus repped this.
  25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #2700 Excellency, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    His teammates are basura which is Spanish for garbage. (And I'm neither pro/con Aaronson - he's very young and very promising).

I'd love to see Aaronson at LAFC or Porltand or RedBulls or San Jose. He could move to Salzburg and play for Marsch by Februrary. Go for it.