MLS Flavors of the week: 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sombrerito, Dec 20, 2018.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    But they made the playoffs.

And yes, they are way better. MNUTD and FC Cincy have proven that. FC Cincy set the USL points record last year and is atrocious in MLS.

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Almeyda system may not work at the national team level with the lack of training and patience of the fans. The coach whose methods seem most fitted for this group of players is Marsh. Whether he'd leave his career track to take over is another story. This bunch of young kids is perfect for RB style of pressing and counter pressing. he already has had Adams a key to that style and McKennie, Pulisic, Weah, Sargent etc seem like a perfect fit for that pressing, quick attack style.

3. gogorath

gogorath Member

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    That was my point. He’s a great coach but many of the systematic complaints against Berhalter would apply to Almeyda.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  4. manq360

manq360 Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please...NO! There would have to be a clause in his contract that he could not play Michael past his earning the record of most games played. Otherwise, I would not even consider him. Also we should look to the future and not rehire a coach from the past.

btlove repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of USMNT coaches, Bob Bradley and Gregg Berhalter are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of the experimentation --- conservativeness scale. Bradley would be salivating over some of these talented younger players... Berhalter talks about "continuity" and just openly stated that Pomykal was not brought into camp to actually play in the games.

50/50 Ball and DHC1 repped this.
  6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

SJ Earthquakes/Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Pleasanton, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still fewer than Wondo, 36 y.o all-time goalscoring champion in that lower league.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Fckall to do with the goal or the thread, but cool.

Keaton Parks gets the start in central midfield of a 4141 and gets the goal. The coach praised his off-the-ball work.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Youtube: Jimmy Dore, Secular Talk
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wayne Rooney weighed in with his thought on issues that should be addressed in the upcoming CBA. Not surprisingly he noted the flight protocol, but maybe more was him sticking up for American players by claiming they are underpaid.

And of course he's absolutely correct. They don't have leverage of being acquired typically, the single entity system still impacts young players who aren't homegrowns, and the salary cap exceptions disproportionately benefit the foreign players.

In the follow-up, Herc asserted those exceptions to the cap should be abolished, and they should just raise it. Really it's just time to remove it to compete on the worldwide stage finally. Put your money where your mouth is.

12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd match in a row that Russel Canouse has been played at RB and again he looked very good and was one of DC's best players!

I certainly did not see that coming and honestly did not think Canouse was quick enough to play as a FB. Canouse is such a tactically savvy player with top notch work-rate that he makes it work and had 4 tackles today.

Maybe Olsen is sending Berhalter a message; You want a gimmick combo DM/RB, well ...

13. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I see Jordan Morris learned his lesson on the diving header back across quickly!

And so much for chest goals, I think he got one with his balls.

largegarlic, Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.