MLS Flavors of the Week, 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 5, 2018.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'll take 2 assist in a WC, for a low scoring team that didn't make it past the ko round.

Only 4 players had more, and 2 of them played for Germany.

Excellency repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

deuteronomy and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    carleton signed up for this

his agent can't be happy hearing that

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His agent is the one who looks the worst in this whole ordeal.

He's the one who recommended Carleton sign away key development years to a team which at the time barely existed and had zero track record to look at.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So you are happy with Zusi's offensive contribution as a winger throughout his NT career? I am not.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You mean midfielder
    Who was better? Nagbe, Arriola, Bedoya, K.Acosta?

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Zusi had 2 goals and 2 assists in 8 games worth minutes during the Hex of 2014 WCQing. He then went on to score 2 assists in a little less than 3 games worth of minutes in the 2014 World Cup.

He did more than well at wing for the team.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You are confusing everybody with facts. The 2 assists came in group/1 ko game that included Ghana, Germany, Portugal and Belgium. I guess that would include 1st, 4th and 8th best team in the world or thereabouts and the African champion.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Carleton could've been playing u-18s for some B1 team. Poor guy.

For every Pulisic there are many, many, many more who don't make it.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You only seem to make negative posts about him. Why is that?

I find it strange, considering how productive he has been for every team he's played for.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I've nothing negative on the player. He is 17. He'll be OK if he has what it takes. Maybe Tata knows something about developing players.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Signed up for what, to get big first-team minutes by age 17? I hope not.

13. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1088 iad_22201, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Some things never change. I don't get around here much anymore but it's nice to see that jond still cluelessly blames agents for just about everything...

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I dont think he is being negative. Carleton himself has said he doesn't want to move and loves being home in Atlanta area and being part of Atlanta team. I think he feels he is in a good situation.

15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    He got an EU passport?

16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATL2 is not RBNY2 or even LAG2. It doesn't have that track record for development for obvious reasons.

But the bigger issue is that the key attackers for ATL are all young and not going anywhere unless someone pays a very high transfer fee. They will possibly be there the entirety of Carleton's rookie contract.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The tough competition for places was often cited as one of the reasons to go to Europe. MLS was 'too easy' as places were pretty much guaranteed. The league went out and spent money, so now folks whinge it's being unfair to their 'great hopes'.

But putting paid to this nonsense is that Hayes, Mueller, Turner, Delago, Davies, Baird, Yueill, Bwana, and BroRoldan are all earning minutes while competing against imports and established players. Heck, the NYRB guys are a factory line of this league-wide phenomenon of young players now earning their minutes against highly paid veterans and against talented imports.

18. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Raise your hand if you watched Eddie Gaven’s career play out, Bobby Convey’s career play out. Freddy freaking Adu’s career play out...and you are fine with Andrew Carleton not getting thrown in at 17.

I don’t care if I’m alone in this. Everybody calm the hell down.

Edit: Santino Quaranta!

Zamphyr, HartwickFan, Dr.Phil and 3 others repped this.
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #1094 IndividualEleven, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Throw in Eddie Johnson, Danny Sztela, and Brek Shea

Getting big first-team minutes at 16-17 is not the be-all, end-all. Jacori Hayes went to school, got a degree in Physics, did a year in the minors, and is now crushing it.

People need to keep in mind this quote from Ronaldo's coaches at Sporting:
    They know a thing or two about developing attackers.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...orting-lisbon-academy-ronaldo-figo-ballon-dor

20. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Not everyone that has stated that our players need to head to Europe for tough competition are ones bitching now about the “great hopes” finding difficulty playing in MLS. Straw man.

Mentioning guys like Hays, Mueller, etc getting playing time in MLS is odd. Some Americans playing professional soccer in America is like the minimum expectation to start a domestic league. People bitch about Carleton because he’s the best and most talented US attacker in MLS and sees scraps for playing time. If no other countries had their best and brightest garner professional playing time at 17 no one would care about Carleton’s lack of minutes, but that isn’t the case. Carleton is a microcosm of MLS’ and US Soccer’s development issues, so of course he’s going to be under the microscope here, rather than just saying aw shucks, Carleton ain’t playing but we have a few 22 year old Americans that are! Whoppie!

ussoccer97531 and Namdynamo repped this.
  21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Let me take a second to introduce you to an important statistical measure called "sample size."

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Was there such a claim in the post?

Not sure you're using the term correctly unless you're referring your above statement...
    If Carleton is so great he'll do better than 'some Americans'. Like Tata says, why worry?

He'll be ok if he is that awesome, smawesome.

Do all great players get major minutes at 17. Seems some might get them little later.
    Bwana is not 22. Davies, an MLS-domestic is not 22. Durkin is not 22. Adams is not 22. Mueller is not 22. Yueill is not 22. Lennon is not 22. Glad is not 22. Trusty is not 22. Real is not 22. Duncan is not 22. Cannon is not 22.

Have a hanky: it's gonna be ok.

23. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he actually was the best and most talented US attacker he would be starting for some club in MLS. That is just how sports works.

LAFC spent $400K to get Feilhaber, ATL spent $1MM to $1.65MM to buy Nagbe. NE has reportedly turned down $750K for MVLee. If AC was that good someone would scoup him up in a heartbeat.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see iad is still posting red herrings.

25. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A lot of those guys have really just been making noise this season which is good. These guys should keep developing and a new crop of young players should develop next season too, hopefully (Brewer, Akinola, Pomykal, Ferreira, etc)