MLS Flavors of the Week, 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 5, 2018.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Sounders need to pick up a DP winger/forward.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Vancouver are looking for a $1 million dollars in allocation money in exchange for Tim Parker, who is in the last year of his contract. So far, there have been no takers.

3. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    But he is the US soccer messiah come to lead us from te valley of death...

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.

And of course Kellyn Acosta is out for up to two months with hernia surgery. One wonders how long this has been bothering him. He hasn't looked the same since the 2017 Gold Cup. FCD has missed the "real" Kellyn Acosta, which was a glaring absence against Tauro.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's been awful since mid-last season. I hope that was bothering him and he couldn't play well because of it. Maybe Acosta can return to his form from the beginning of 2017.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's odd as they had been saying it was a groin injury that had been bothering him since last season. Are those two injuries related?

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think they can be.

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. I should have looked it up. "A sports hernia is a strain or tear of any soft tissue (muscle, tendon, ligament) in the lower abdomen or groin area. Because different tissues may be affected and a traditional hernia may not exist, the medical community prefers the term "athletic pubalgia" to refer to this type of injury."

9. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league really needs a, young, electric, exciting, American attacker to step up.

onefineesq and USAMEX10 repped this.
  10. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zardes skills will blow you away

comoesa and xbhaskarx repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Anyone know anything about Handwalla Bwana's status? Per his bio, he came over as a refugee.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Actually, Zardes might be as good young American attacker as the league gets.
    Younger and better ones won't stay here.

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its still unclear what year he was born in and his citizenship status. The Sounders say he's a citizen and a '99, but it doesn't seem clear.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Sounders' word isn't good enough???

Either way, he's my pick for young, exciting, electric, young American attacker. Morris's injury should clear some room for minutes.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is he slated to play? Not from what I've seen, but maybe you are right.

His birthdate is listed as a bunch of different things, depending on where you look. When they can't come up with a consistent birthdate for a player, I'd say there are certainly questions about the player's birthdate. As for his citizenship, when it was listed that he was a US citizen, a number didn't believe it. He was born in Kenya, I believe.

16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He also seems to have that long distance runner body and will eventually weight 120 pounds.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so with JMo out for awhile, attention is gonna go to guys like Sapong, Dwyer, Agudelo, heck it could impact Bruin directly if he starts knocking them in while taking over for him.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Martino also said that his play in preseason has him closer to playing for the first team than the USL team. He should be a regular within the first team already, but maybe the coach is now going to give him minutes.

I don't see many young, electric, exciting American attackers within MLS. Probably only Carleton and Pomykal, Pomykal had a very good preseason, but Pareja didn't put him in the 18 for the first CCL game. A new signing took his place within the squad.

comoesa, Dr.Phil and xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe in the very short term but it opens up a real opportunity for some young players in Europe if they can step up in the next six months. Still having one center forward banger type option isn't a bad thing. Think each team should have one if they are all decent just for attacking variety.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats the beauty. This season is in WIll Bruins's hands to become an option if true.

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested to see if Ferreira and Pomykal can recreate their telepathic abilities at Academy level to senior level.

QUOTE="ussoccer97531, post: 36355044, member: 214277"]

Martino also said that his play in preseason has him closer to playing for the first team than the USL team. He should be a regular within the first team already, but maybe the coach is now going to give him minutes.

[/QUOTE]

I'm beginning to think Tata reads these boards and makes these comments just to troll ussoccer97531 when in actuality he won't play him at all.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My sense of Tata's thinking in Atlanta is that he likes a 4231 with Almiron10 under Martinez 9 and two wide wingers. Not the ideal set up for Carleton. He's not a wide winger, not a dmid. My feeling is that he is available to jump into a starting role if Almiron goes to Europe in the summer.

Carleton at Red Bulls would be entertaining. Straight swap Adams for Carleton.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Will Bruin?

We cant be too far from the Mariana Trench at this point.

24. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    In theory, Carleton should be able to sub in for Barco on the left or Almiron in the middle. But, he’s behind Gressel on the depth chart so when Villalba is back not sure how much PT he’ll receive.

MLS youth development, baby.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 Andrew Carleton gifs

Dirt McGirt, Dr.Phil and ussoccer97531 repped this.