MLS Flavors of the Week, 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Plus Donovan.

2. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    As long as match fixing is still alive and kicking anything is possible.

truefan420 repped this.
  3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #53 xbhaskarx, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    That seems great to me. I'm not too worried about the percentage drop (60% to 42%), whether at player #79 or #102 you're at players who are well outside the USMNT player pool, and those 102 are playing in a much higher quality league now, and certainly higher quality than it would be if 145 US-eligible players (60% of 242) had been starting. That's around 45 guys who are on the bench or in NASL/USL instead. Playing with and against such crap players would do nothing to further the development of Glad or Adams into USMNT regulars. The only downside is that higher quality starters mean it's more difficult for young players to get a chance, but the best ones still should, and that's mostly what matters for the national team (yeah there are always a few late bloomers, and they will face a tougher road now). To make up for that, regarding the development of young players, we have way more homegrown signings now than before (certainly compared to 2008 when there were... maybe one or two?), and path to MLS that's getting better all the time with the USL partnership. Also better coaches (for the most part, you still have guys like Jim Curtin and Ben Olsen) than before, and certainly more interesting in terms of varied formations and tactics.

Dirt McGirt, TxEx and IndividualEleven repped this.
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Aye. More Martinos, Berhalters, Vanneys, Freidels, Cabreras, Vieiras, and Clavijos would be a great help to the league.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Curtin a knock on Ernie Stewart for TD/GM? Is that the kind of coach he would push for?

6. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I raised a similar concern in another thread. I'm an MLS neutral who pretty much just watches 1-2 nationally televised games per week, but from that perspective, it doesn't seem like there's much to recommend Stewart from his time in Philly. I know ownership doesn't give him much money to work with, but Philly doesn't seem to compare favorably to other low-spending teams like RSL or San Jose in terms of style of play or incorporation of interesting younger players. It's obviously still early, but Fioranelli seems to have done more to turn San Jose around in 1 year than Stewart has done in 3 in Philly.

I'm trying to dump on Stewart, as he clearly was very respected for his work in Holland, but I'm a bit hesitant to consider him a frontrunner for the USSF TD position. Maybe someone who follows the Union more closely can allay these worries.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Stewart needs to get Curtin an a-mid. The former's overall body of work would lend a recommendation to the GM position.

Tommy Thompson had a couple of goals and an assist against LA. He looked good on both sides of the ball. He was aggressive in driving the game forward. He was opportunistic in popping into the area to score. He showed good passing vision and range. Maybe a breakout year is in the offing.

OWN(yewu)ED and USAMEX10 repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two big problems with the Philadelphia Union. Not having quality players ("Stewart needs to get Curtin an a-mid") is one, but not one that really matters here.
    The bigger problem as far as this thread is concerned, Curtin wouldn't play guys like Derrick Jones, Auston Trusty, Adam Najem, Keegan Rosenberry, etc. very much last year, even in the latter part of the season when Philly's playoff hopes were close to 0%. You'd think a team like Philly that's not going out and spending big bucks would at least have a coach who would develop young players, and give them a shot when there's nothing to lose.

Same goes for Ben Olsen in DC who didn't play Chris Durkin even when their playoff odds were 0.02%, quoting a comment I made in another thread:

I don't know how Earnie Stewart can seriously be considered for the US Soccer GM role, given his track record in Philly... this is the guy whose big DP signing is Alejandro Bedoya, and who traded both general and targeted allocation money along with their 2018 draft pick (#8 overall) for Charlie friggin' Davies!

#8: Philadelphia Union → New England Revolution. August 3, 2016: New England Revolution acquired a first-round selection in the 2018 SuperDraft, general allocation money, and targeted allocation money from Philadelphia Union in exchange for a third-round selection in the 2018 SuperDraft and forward Charlie Davies.

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was impressed with Jackson Yueill too. we got the makings of a good young central midfield core. Only preseason, but its still nice to see.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    What's the regular season's starting lineup looking like? Hoesen and Wondo up top? Thompson in left-midfield? Lima at right-back Salinas at left-back?

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #61 IndividualEleven, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Stewart was TD in the Eredivisie. The Philly gig wasn't his only executive role. Rosenberry had a sophomore slump. Derrick Jones needed to clean up his touch before getting more minutes.

Bedoya has been one of the top 8s in the league; $700k per year is not a bad deal for that kind of player in today's MLS. Of course, the problem is that he was originally brought over as an attack-minded a-mid, a role he was unable to successfully transition into from his defense-minded a-mid remit in Ligue 1. Honestly, Philly took an initial step back with the midseason Bedoya acquisition: they had been looking playoff bound. They've recovered somewhat, but need to get an amid to make a serious playoff push. The New England Revolution are sitting on top of 3 a-mids, one of whom really wants to get the hell out of Dodge.

Or maybe they can play Accam as the a-mid.

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yueill has actually been getting a chunk of the starting lineup of the two, Thompson rotating with hyka (A fan favorite and very good player in his own right.) Salinas left back looks like it’ll be a thing. Wondo still looks like a starter, as does hoesen. Tarbell Fir me was shaky last year, hope he improved, but JT would be ready to pounce if not. It’s not gonna be 4-3-3 that’s for sure. New coach has already called out central defense multiple occasions, I think that’s still our biggest concern

13. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    glad should be on this list.
    i wont quibble with much, but picault isnt good enough. and I think you did not watch much Revs matches last year, Farrell was really bad.

14. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    by far the deepest and most talented two deep in MLS history. if there were a time to win CCL, this is the team to do it. having the rapids is a good first match up.

15. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    no it wasnt. he is actually tactically strong. His positioning and movement is good. this has never been his problem.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we have different standards? The Galaxy with Kamara as their striker compared to Gyasi is night and day.

For example, in this play : https://www.columbuscrewsc.com/post...ntos-vs-atlanta-united-fc-ccc18?autoplay=true , Gyasi should actually be making the run that Pedro Santos does instead of just dawdling about.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately neither Thompson or Yueill will be regular starters, but hopefully they'll still get plenty of minutes.

Right now it's looking like they'll play a 4-4-2, something like this:

-----------Hoesen---Wondo----------
    Vako----------------------------Magnus
    ------------Godoy--Jungwirth--------
    Salinas-Quintana-Cummings-Lima
    ------------------Tarbell

18. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't. They got the worst side of the bracket. If they win this they will have (more than likely) beaten Tigres, America, and either Chivas or the Xolos in the final. That's one hell of a Murderers Row. Looking at the standings from Liga MX though, Chivas is struggling both last season and currently and Tigres aren't doing too well right now either. How funny would it be if the final is Toronto vs Seattle lol.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Surprised that Toronto 2 - 0 Colorado CCL game was any good seeing as it was played in 3 degrees Farenheit weather. That's -15 C if my math is good. Univisiondeportes dot com stream was really good.

They played Moor and Hagglund in the back with Morrow at lb, Bradley as a 6 with Delgado and Osorio as 8's and Vazquez the diamond 10 plus Altidore and Gio up top. GK was Bono

Gio had two backheels to Delgado on the first score, Delgado with the second to Altidore, back to Giovinco for the cross to Osorio for the header, score. On the second score, Delgado from the top of the box uses his right foot to pass to his left foot for the nicely weighted pass to his rb who I never heard of, cross to Giovinco, score. I think Delgado has been getting lessons from Vazquez. Also I think Jan camp helped him broaden his horizons. Wish USS would use him because it would make the games far more entertaining. Don't they want to sell tickets?

Bradley played more of a confined 6 role and played well. Jozy was fine. Hagglund and Moor are both great MLS players. Don't know if Hagglund will ever make it to nats but he does excel in the air. Bono is as good as any of our other candidates for GK, considering that we do have a gk problem with no worthy successor to Meola, Keller, Friedel, Howard in sight as far as I can see. Guzan is ok but aging out.

20. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Usually from what I have seen before, Mexican teams do poorly in Liga MX but out perform in International competition. I saw this when they would play in Copa Libertadores. Tigres and specially Chivas are doing bad but they can always show a different face in other competitions. Plus the MLS teams are still in Pre Season which never helps. (this is a reason we should follow a different calendar)

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesse Gonzalez's distribution has been erratic and then he just let in a soft goal. Not the best night for him.

22. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keeping them out of camp cupcake sure looked like it helped.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #73 IndividualEleven, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Who is your Eastern Conference top 4?

Toronto--MLS's biggest spending team added even more overseas talent to an already loaded roster.

Atlanta--Lost little and added more, highlighted by the Nagbe and Barco acquistions.

Orlando--Massive overhaul included the addition of proven MLS talent including Meram and Kljestan.

New England--Have accumulated one of the league's most impressive arrays of attacking talent in Agudelo, Nemeth, Fagundez, Rowe, Nguyen. Perhaps a MLS 3.0-level coach can get something out of them.

Honourable Mention--NYRB

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    NYRB honorable mention? I'm watching NYRB v Hondurans in CCL FH just now and I can see Marsch has them keyed to come on strong this season. Explain to Adams that he is a touch line player and they take it all. Adams has 180 vision, not 360 vision you need for dmid 6 he is playing which doesn't suit his personality at all. Put Adams at right of left wb and RBulls would be ferocious.

--------------royer----bwp---muyl
    ----lawrence----davis------felipe----adams
    ---------------long----colin---x

Adams is a really good wide player. He'd have 1 goal/assist per game at that position and head to $$$$m contract in Europe. He will get zero offers at dmid from big 4. Not happening. He needs an attitude adjustment pronto or his career will evaporate.

--------------

25. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Jordan Morris has picked up another injury to his (right) leg/knee. We'll see how serious it is...