MLS Flavors of the Week, 2017 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 12, 2017.

1. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondo was brought in as insurance for Jordan Morris ankle and because he is in San Jose. As the 25th player, he would likely be the first candidate to be dropped off. Regardless, the Quakes have a bye this weekend.

Agudelo has a match with the Revs Saturday afternoon at 2:00 pm.

Even for those who might prefer Agudelo to Wondolowski, it makes no sense to call him in.

xbhaskarx and truefan420 repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Qualifying is at a critical juncture. It makes no sense to take chances.

edcrocker repped this.
  3. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Neither Wondo nor Agudelo have a great goal scoring record for the Nats so it really doesn't matter.

COMtnGuy and Footsatt repped this.
  4. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morris expected to be good to go for Friday . . .

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/03/22/armchair-analyst-camerons-position-morriss-health-us-xi-qa

Is it a crisis? No, I don't think so, and whispers out of camp are that Morris is going to be fine for Friday. He probably won't start, but he wouldn't have started anyway since Dempsey is fit and functional and scoring goals, and is doing stuff like this: (See video on link).

Healthy Clint Dempsey starts. That should've been obvious even before Morris picked up a knock, right? Healthy Jozy Altidore starts as well, and then it's four midfielders and four defenders behind them. Morris will be fine to give 30 minutes as a change-of-pace attacking sub if that's required.

And the thing to remember is that this is Bruce Arena calling the shots. He's masterful at keeping things uncomplicated.

xbhaskarx and largegarlic repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Wondo was thoroughly proven he doesn't belong at his level. That is the difference.

6. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    And Agudelo's lack of production at that level is what? I'm not a Wondo fan. I'd rather have Agudelo on the team than Wondo but it's really still just on potential alone. Juan hasn't done anything at this level either.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    What have Zimmerman, Acosta, and Lletget done at this level? Wondo has had the competitive matches to eliminate himself from contention.

8. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    So has Agudelo. You're attempting to deflect the point by bringing other players into it. Agudelo has 23 caps. Zimmerman, Acosta and Lletget aren't relevant to this at all.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #1009 IndividualEleven, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Agudelo has a record of 3 goals, 3 assists, and a drawn pk in 11 games worth of minutes. That's an outstanding record for international football especially considering some those caps came against: Russia, Paraguay, Argentina, Chile, Mex*3, Costa Rica, Belgium, Ecuador, and Germany.

But he has no competitive football since '11. That's where the comparison to other similarly inexperienced players comes in. They haven't done anything in competitive football but have been brought in for a crunch Hex Qualifier.

10. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of guys are going to have to wait until the Gold Cup.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Morris missed another team practice. Wondo edges closer...

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    God wants to give Wondo a chance at redemption.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Hope he scores a hat trick.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    845405930405728256 is not a valid tweet id

15. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This kid is a stud. Hope he makes it back.

16. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler Adams, Alex Muyl, Sebastian Saucedo, & Brooks Lennon are all starting today for RBNY/RSL (Sean Davis and Danny Acosta are on the bench)

Juan Agudelo has 2 goals against Minnesota......MNUFC is probably the worst defensive team in league history.

COMtnGuy and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would really.......really like to know what in the world Minnesota was thinking when they put their roster together. Any armchair analyst could have looked at that roster and said "that is not going to go well"

COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Wasn't Jared Watts left unprotected? I wonder if they panic and go to the DP well in the summer.

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was, there were plenty of good players exposed

20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Tyler Adams went 90 relatively unnoticeable minutes either way, which is pretty good for a teenage center mid. He was a little suspect with the ball, but NYRB as a whole have been suspect with the ball thus far this season.

21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    #1021 Marko72, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    You know, I fail to understand MN's approach to this off-season and the expansion draft at all. If it was merely "cheap" I could understand, but that isn't it. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to their roster construction or team concept that I can understand.

I am glad, nonetheless, that the ownership group that came in with an extent fan base for their NASL side and plans for a SSS won out over an NFL owner looking to fill dates in their taxpayer mega-stadium. I don't wish them ill. I just don't understand what on earth they were attempting to do.

(By stark contrast, the team down south that is simply a club to fill dates in their NFL owner's shiny new dome was put together by some sharp minds--their initial soccer-based hire was Carlos Bocanegra, by the way--and we could all see the sort of vision that the club was based on from a soccer standpoint, and it's obviously working out quite well.)

COMtnGuy and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  22. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

Alexisonfire, KUSA77, ielag and 2 others repped this.
  23. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
  24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Alexisonfire and vexco repped this.
  25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Tyler Adams: 51/62 passing, 2 key passes, 10 recoveries, 5 tackles, 2 blocked shots, a clearance off the line.

WS Rating = 8.2 for Man of the Match

Wouldn't be surprised if he were to get more minutes.

Mario Balotelli repped this.