MLS Flavors of the Week, 2017 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think Blank is more forward thinking than your NY Yankee exec or Patsy exec. He's more new generation - Home Depot - than your moldy oldies like.....never mind.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No kidding. Strange deal. I hope they sign Barco from Independiente in Argentina. He will make them even better.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nagbe was a key player in an MLS Cup-winning. Portland Atlanta acquired him for the things he already does well, not for imagined potential.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly hope so. I have already said that I think some of his NT problems were that he played with MB. If he establishes himself well with Atlanta, I would hope he would get another chance at the NT...although he will be aged out for the next world cup. Maybe, though, he can help us qualify.

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    RSL has signed Brooks Lennon to a permanent deal.

Though he's now 20, I count Lennon as one of perhaps five US-eligible teenagers that earned significant playing time in MLS in 2017 - he, Danilo Acosta (now 20), Tyler Adams, Brandon Vazquez, and Djordje Mihailovic. Maybe I'm forgetting a few others.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4006 OWN(yewu)ED, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Not player related, but congrats to Nashville and way to cluster everything up Sacramento and Cincy. You had one job. Extremely disappointed with the way Sacramento's Nagle handled that whole process, would not be surprised at all if MLS went Cincy after that, and it would be deserved.

I got a good feeling on Nashville though, theyll be a fun away game and probably draw well. Out of 12 markets, and MLS saying theyd let 2 teams in, only 1 could make it by the deadline (and probably the least favored of all if you watched it from the beginning. Nashville was literally a last day bid to make it 12). Thats pretty disappointing.

If people wanted MLS to slow down on expanding and let the talent pool fill out, i believe theyre about to get their wish

USA-Zebuel and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll say this... I believe the Atlanta-Nashville rivalry is going to be the friendliest rivalry in the league. Could even be call the Hospitality Cup.

Sure, there’ll be some jabs here or there to try and poke the fire, but in the end, I believe most Atlanta fans will support Nashville as a second team to support.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Seems possible that another Yank is coming home..............

Perry Kitchen has been around soooooooooooooooooo long that we forget he's still only 25 years old.

Pl@ymaker and COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed, itll be full on SEC rivalry, probably a tad friendlier. Once one's eliminated, or when theyre not playing each other, theyll root for each other. There will be lots of barbecue. And drink moonshine. lots of moonshine

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubt MLS will go with Cincy at all these days, that State Law against moving any team from publically funded Stadium has to be hurting their whole Crew to Austin plan.

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .......unless the crew somehow ended up in Cincy :eek: ,

That said i wouldnt be mad at all if the Crew stayed in Columbus. Nothing about Austin says that it will succeed, and it was all done in extremely shady circumstances (where San Antonio has a very valid conflict of interest case if it moves forward)

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This should be very good for Redding. NYRB is one of the clubs in MLS that plays young Americans, they've developed young American CB's like Miazga and Long recently, they play a back 3 at times, and outside of Long their CB's aren't that established into their positions.

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Tim Ream who also came up there.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats true, but I am only talking about under the current regime. The last regime did develop Ream, but I think there's a big difference in the usage of young players at NYRB under the current regime.

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. Hope he does well there.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Was hoping silva made it to NYRB

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not really USMNT related directly but it looks like MLS will be a destination with the kind of money they are throwing around in Atlanta
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...reject-another-atlanta-bid-barco-saga-rumbles

This also means that US players get a higher profile and more cred playing with world class players.

Let me just say I think $24 m for Barco is too much. Is anybody in Europe paying that amount? I dont think so.

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has to over pay for players with legitimate options.

deuteronomy and TheFalseNine repped this.
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not if the player wants MLS which is the case here.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think its very USMNT-related.

If Barco and Asad are in Argentina next season, Carleton could get real minutes, and it becomes very USMNT-related.

Excellency repped this.
  21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he has a contract with multiple years the selling club holds the cards. And that's how it works everywhere.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In most card games the cards must be played - or discarded when he goes on a free.

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they have him on a 4 year deal they will have plenty of chances to sell. They can hold out for whatever price they want.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes. it also sounds like a stupid strategy. But there's no law against stupid.

25. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    LAFC has traded for Bob Bradley's old favorite, Benny Feilhaber.

Alas, the Klinsmann+Arena fiasco of World Cup Qualification has brought any chance of a sustained role in the national team picture for him to an end.