MLS Flavors of the Week, 2017 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 12, 2017.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a foolish idea in the first place, to maintain a floundering squad (relative to normal expectations) that would have gotten toasted at the World Cup. Bruce himself even purported to know that substantial changes needed to be made, after the old war horses inevitably were enough to get him over the line in inferior CONCACAF. Whoops.

2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    WS NT MLS Team of the Week 32
    (player score)team avg
    includes matches from the International Week

---------------------Bruin(8.3)7.5
    -------Neagle(7.2)7.5--Kljestan(8.4)7.5--Gatt(7.6)6.7
    ----------------Jones(7.8)7.2----Bedoya(7.7)6.5
    --Jimenez(7.7)6.9------------------------------------Zusi(8.3)7.2
    ---------------Kallman(8.0)6.6----Opara(7.9)7.2
    -----------------------------Deric(9.0)6.9----

Player of the Week: Deric Howard Kljestan

U24 Player of the Week: Nerwinski Adams Roldan

FW/A-mid: Dempsey(7.8)7.5 Kljestan(7.7)6.7 Gordon(7.3)7.0 Wondo(7.2)7.0
    CM: Roldan(7.7)7.5 Trapp(7.5)6.9 Feilhaber(7.5)7.2 Mihailovic(7.4)6.8 Delgado(7.4)7.0 Larentowicz(7.3)6.8 Davis(7.2)7.5
    RM: Gatt(7.2)7.0
    LB: Hollingshead(7.6)6.8 Lades(7.5)7.5 Morrow(7.2)7.0 Miller(7.2)7.0
    CB: Besler(7.7)7.2 Hedges(7.5)6.8 Opara(7.4)7.0 Romney(7.4)7.2 Ford(7.5)7.0 Williams(7.3)6.9 Long(7.2)7.5 Moor(7.4)7.0
    RB: Nerwinski(7.9)6.9 Adams(7.9)7.5 A-Salaam(7.3)6.4 Adams(7.3)6.7 Hairston(7.3)7.0
    GK: Howard(9.0)7.0 Johnson(7.9)6.6 Guzan(7.7)7.8 Attinella(7.7)7.5 Tarbell(7.6)7.0 MacMath(7.5)6.7 Bono(7.5)7.0 Robles(7.4)7.5

RalleeMonkey and deuteronomy repped this.
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Weekly Stats

MOTM: Bono Deric Jimenez Kallman Kljestan Nerwinski

Goals: Bruin(2) A-Salaam Bedoya Gatt Kallman Shelton

Assists: Adams(2) Kljestan(2) Vincent(2) Altidore Dempsey Ebobissee Farrell Gatt Gordon Jimenez Jones Nerwinski Ship Wondo

Clearance off the Line: Birnbaum DeLeon

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Weekly Takes:

Missing Gen player, Gatt, is strongly finishing the season. Should get a callup.

RB Nerwinski(6' 175lb) would make an interesting RCB candidate in a 3-man backline.

Likewise, Vincent on the left side.

Opara for the Gold Cup?

If available, Shelton would make for an interesting striker prospect in the upcoming friendlies.

I would not have expected him play in both matches, but perhaps JJ could have contributed in one of the Qualifiers.

Bedoya was a miss. Pity he had to leave the GC early. He showed a terrific motor in his limited minutes.

Kljestan was another who should have gotten minutes in central midfield.

In a 4-in-the-back formation, which of right back and right mid would Adams play?

18-year old Mihailovic is shining at d-mid(3 starts,WS 7.24) for Chicago.

Delgado and Roldan continue to make strong cases for minutes.

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At first, I was glad. But Midtylland? May as well stated at DC.

Personally, I think he could have tried his luck in the Championship club that’s an EPL contender or at least a club in Germany , France, or maybe even Holland. I think Denmark is a step down in his career.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can't play in England due to lack of NT caps.

ChrisSSBB and IndividualEleven repped this.
  8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    DC did him dirty in denying him games when that German scout was over.

9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Is that true of the Championship as well? I'm not challenging, just asking.

10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Sometimes the best escape route is out the back door. Even if it's a step down, it's a step down to a route that doesn't have the low ceiling that MLS does. I assume he's getting paid comparably to what he gets in MLS. If he stayed, that number was never likely to increase much. Now that he's abroad, he's at a lower rung of a ladder that goes very very high. If he can perform, he can climb that thing pretty high. In MLS, he was at the top of a step stool.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here

I appreciate these updates. Thank you.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    In these uncertain times, we can still have Team of the Week. :)

Eleven Bravo and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  13. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last I remember seeing was that you needed to play in 75% of your NT's games in order to get it. I could be wrong about the percentage, though. Brad Guzan was issued a WP because he was the US's #2 GK at the time, and since there is only one of those that plays, they take that in to account. Hamid wasn't even the #3 GK, so I doubt he could get a WP for the UK. Other European countries don't have such requirements, except for limits on the number of foreign players on a particular team.

Edit: The above is superceded by the quotes and links below.

This is from an article in USA Today from March 2015:

"Currently non-European players desiring a British work permit must have featured in at least 75 percent of competitive international games in the previous two years for a top-70 ranked team. Now only players from the top 50 FIFA nations will be considered, with a sliding scale of appearances required — from 30 percent of games over two years for the 1-10 teams to 75 percent for 31-50 teams."

Here is a link to SkySports from May 2015:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9830536/fas-new-rules-on-work-permits-kick-in

ChrisSSBB, deuteronomy and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's even more true. EPL is a more important gig of course in England, and the bigger the club the more political sway to get around the general standard.

15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Thank you.

So, easiest way for a Yank (w/o a Euro grandparent) to get into the C-ship is to get demoted :)

It will be really interesting to see how Brexit affects the PL. But, that's another topic for another thread.

Speaking of OT, if Catalonia breaks away (someone has to coin a brexit-like expression for this - ok, I just came up with Quitalonia. You read it here first) what will become of Barca?

TxEx and TheFalseNine repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I never thought Nerwinski was nat team material because I don't think he could hold Ronaldo that well in the defending end. Having said that, I'd still take him over Lima.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    y tho? Lima is fast, gets forward well, puts in a good cross, oh and can play both sides. His upside is well, Yedlin.

I like Nerwinski just fine, i love him in the new class as competition, but I respectfully disagree that Nerwinski is better than Lima. Same ballpark? yes, both bring valuable skillsets, but i think Lima's skills are more valuable at the next level. Especially the playing on the left side thing. he could displace Villafana i think if given the chance over this next very long protracted cycle

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Are you a royalist or a scat-alan?

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'd rather go with wb's like Rowe and Adams who can score the ball and are fast enough to get back to help the 3cb line which would include cb's who can defend like fb's - Besler, Cameron, e.g. or of the new generation, Glad (saw a little as fb with u20's).

I don't see us getting enough out of the fullback position as presently constituted.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can score the ball as a fb, you almost surely can't get back on defense as well. It's a different role.

If someone is fast enough to recover on d, it would seemingly be Lima. He's faster than Rowe, Nerwinski, and Adams, while being technical, and possessing some nasty as well. Talks about playing with anger in his game and having a dark side. Don't we need someone like this after a marshmallowy soft squad missed out on qualifying for the WC?

He can play on both sides too. He should be at the next camp to try integrate him ASAP before he possibly stagnates or gets too old. Then he can be shipped off to Europe soon.

TxEx and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Nerwinski play a few times in person. I wasn't expecting much but he showed really well on both sides of the ball. Good speed and decent with the ball. Looks like much more of a USMNT prospect to me than say, Rosenberry, another young MLS RB. We'll see how he develops. Will be interesting to see if he gets starts over veteran Sheanon Williams in playoffs. Wouldn't be surprised.

deuteronomy and IndividualEleven repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You're not getting it. You don't have to get back on defense if the 3rd cb has slid over to play fb.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said yourself you want someone who is fast enough to recover. So if that's a requirement of your system, then Lima fits the bill better than the alternatives.

And if the outside cb to that side is asked to cover himself, he better have good mobility for the position. Well, that really isn't our pool. We have mostly bigger, not overly mobile cb's. When we have played a 3-man back-line and they weren't just tasked with operating in a phone booth while we were bunkering ala on the road at Mexico, they have struggled with the responsibility. So either you're not asking your wing-backs to play high and contribute to scoring, so they can help out defensively. Or you're going to get exposes like at home v. Mexico.

Also don't think it's wise to be so dead-set on playing a formation that you obscure better talents and ones who fit the U.S.' traditional style better.

24. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every foreign player in Great Britain must have a work permit. Any player who has played at least a certain percentage of their nation's last 20 international games (provided the nation they play for is ranked in the top 50 in the FIFA rankings) automatically qualifies for a permit. Otherwise the FA has decide weather or not to grant a permit based on numerous factors. Generally speaking, the larger the club, the more likely they are to qualify, but even so Chelsea and other mega club's targets are not always granted one.

It is more difficult now because players like Yedlin used to be able to bypass this process because of his Latvian passport, but with the Brexit, even EU players will have to acquire a permit moving forward.

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin actually didn't use a Latvian passport to sign with Spurs in the end, despite some talk that he was going to do so. He was denied a work permit because he didn't meet the 75% requirement, but had played enough with the USMNT that he got in on appeal.

No idea whether or not he eventually followed through with obtaining the Latvian passport.

Winoman and deuteronomy repped this.