MLS Flavors of the Week, 2016 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jan 13, 2016.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea with Lampard leaving he might have a chance at PT next year but most likely they just didn't want to lose him for nothing. He should push for a move.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bono is promising.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    One of my all time greats.

They get 5 this year instead of 10 given last time.

Winoman repped this.
  4. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Isn't it the nature of the beast? If that first minute shot finds the corner or the goalie doesn't claw the late one back then Jozy is the rightful MVP. Funny old game etc...

5. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am willing to guess he has a no-trade clause in his contract, which means he has to be protected by default.

Marko72 and deuteronomy repped this.
  6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, but neither NYC nor Orlando bothered to select 10 players last time, hence they cut the draft down this time around.

What I'm saying is that this draft this time around looks richer, like they might actually want to make use it.

7. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could have probably waived it.

Im guessing they either see him as more of an option going forward or think they can get something for him, ie transfer fee or trade

8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Even after last year he still has value around the league. Really hope they move him if they don't plan on playing him.

9. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well both sides did in fact use all 5 picks.

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's debatable, when it comes to Minnesota. They're going to suck. Not sure what the plan is there. Their picks weren't defensive-oriented enough for this format/pool and the players they received were pedestrian overall.

But solid job done by Atlanta focusing on defense, and at least in the first 3 rounds acquired very useful players. I think they were smart to likely do a pivot away from Guzan once they found out Irwin was surprisingly available. I expect them to at least be respectable this season because they look like they have a sensible plan, and before too long the young talent they're investing in should pay dividends to make them one of the better clubs in the league.

Eleven Bravo and Anderson11 repped this.
  11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some selections I don't get especially from Minnesota. They are very behind it seems

Anderson11 repped this.
  12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint Irwin the only big name taken, wow. And with Guzan coming in? They already got that Greek keeper as an option for the back up spot. You gotta think theyre planning to deal him too.

No Watts, Harry Shipp, or Jack Mac picked. Toia and Lloyd are good outside back pickups for Atlanta. Attinella is a fine pick at GK for Minnesota.

Really gotta say, both teams could have done better, though. I also think the expansion should have been left at 10 players instead of 5, it gave a lot of guys opportunities to make impressions on other teams possibly to start they didn't get on their current teams.

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toia has already been traded. Irwin will be traded back to Toronto. All the picks were trade bait

COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seems like thats all its for these days, tehyll probably stop the expansion draft altogether at this rate

aaaaand there it is, Jermaine Jones to the galaxy, predictable.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to downgrade Atlanta's efforts now. They had a chance to build their defense on the cheap and they failed to do so. No Watts, no Toia, no Beitashor, no Irwin, etc. Now that's going to have to be a big effort, and they're splashing the pot too much on an overrated defensive player in Guzan. No idea what they do with the GAM. I don't hate the Toia for #8 move if they get someone like Harkes to be the bridge between defense and attack, while being able to go in another direction at 2 and still get "value". Not much of the "value" up there is defenders though, but it seems central defenders picked highly do have a better track record. Sounds like Miles Robinson wouldn't be too much of a reach. He might be their Jonny Campbell. Zach Loyd is an odd fit with Parkhurst. That tandem would suck in the air. Maybe they flip him too.

Odd strategy with all the quality there that was remarked upon. These teams got freebies but took little advantage.

largegarlic and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  16. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if they play CB together. Both have also played plenty of fullback in their careers.

Eleven Bravo and truefan420 repped this.
  18. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When they were younger. I don't think they provide good width anymore nor can they get up and down. It might be that the Latin Tata Martino is putting together a Latin-style, small, technical team. But you need to have balance. We'll see what they do as follow-ups.

20. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    As a neutral, I'm a fan of what Atlanta's doing, as they seem like they're taking the 1st year NYC approach--score 3 goals a game, but give up 4. I'd be worried about their d, if I were an Atlanta fan.

That said, it's probably wrong to evaluate these moves just based on the on-field consequences. With all of the weird salary rules and types of contracts, it could very well be that taking a lesser player now could allow for signing some other, better player later.

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guzan will be one of the better keepers in the MLS. Lloyd's defensive versatility will be very useful and a good pick up if he gets healthy having someone who can play RB or CB well is useful for a coach. Having said that I still think they could have done better with their picks. The second keeper was unneeded with Guzan coming in and Irwin being flipped they'd have been ok.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Atlanta signing three South American attacking mids to DP contracts to block the best American prospect in the league from playing time is so MLS. I will be absolutely infuriated if these foreigners block Andrew Carleton from playing time.

LA gives MLS such a bad name. I hope every single good young player in their academy leaves as long as they keep building up the retirement home.

adam tash repped this.
  23. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I'm not so worried about Carleton. He's still so young that I don't know that it will hurt him playing a good bit in the USL and then getting some limited minutes with the 1st team.

LA, though, yeah...I really thought they were going to go with at least a relative youth movement after Keane, Gerrard, and Donovan left, but I guess not.

24. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha

deuteronomy and KickballWizard repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think of it like this.

Is MLS even a top 20 league in the world? Likely not, and I'm not one of the MLS haters. I just think we have to be honest about MLS's level, its not that high. A prospect like that would never sign with Atlanta under normal circumstances, unless they were a local prospect. The reason a local prospect who every academy in the world probably wants would sign with an MLS club is to get playing time quicker. If you are going to block that player from playing time because you signed a few above average (in the grand scheme of things, not just MLS standards) young south american players, thats really disappointing.

Carleton doesn't belong playing a second in USL next season. He played minutes in it last season, and the second he stepped on the field he was controlling the game. Think of it like Pulisic playing in USL, it would do him no good. I remember people said Palmer-Brown needed USL minutes. They said that he wasn't good enough for minutes with SKC, and then a year later he's making match day rosters for the Porto first team. If MLS is not going to trust local talent, they deserve for every single one of these players to start out their careers abroad. MLS was thrown a bone in this case. An excellent prospect has chosen to start his career in the league. What will they do? So far, not a good look for Atlanta to sign all these South Americans.

DHC1 repped this.