MLS Flavors of the Week, 2015 Edition [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Cusesoccer99

Cusesoccer99 Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    What about Luis Silva, Chris Schuler, Nick Deleon, and Quincy Amarakana. I think these guys would of also deserved a look after the solid seasons they have had.

You add in a Robbie Rogers, Teal Bunbury, and a Will Bruin guys who had short stints in years past with the national team you have alot of guys who could of used the January camp to show what they can do.

Now that Klinsmann says there will most likely be no January camp next year. When and if will these guys ever get a chance to be called in?

USAMEX10 repped this.
  2. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thats what im saying some people are saying its too late to call these guys in and start to prepare the A team for the Golf Cup while JK is courting some Hamburg reserve RB talk about BIASED its frustrating for sure. Deleon needs to have more than 1 good season but I agree with the rest some of which I didnt pit there cus theyre already capped

Excellency repped this.
  3. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hope he goes to another club so he can start consistently.

4. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Gotz has been with the first team.

Most of those guys u tout would be in the reserves if they belong to a Bundesliga team.

5. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Half our starters already would be on the reserves of a Bundesliga team. Point is we should be calling up guys who deserve a call up if guys like Ibarra/Wood get called.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought it was worse that he called in a bunch of Olympic players. Its really upsetting that Christian Dean got a call up because he's Olympic eligible but Nick Hagglund who's like seven months older, not Olympic eligible by only like 3.5 months and is a much better player didn't get called up.

7. NewSoccerJunky

May 20, 2012
    Justin Mapp is the best winger in MLS

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Did Fabian Castillo transfer to a different league?

onefineesq repped this.
  9. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Duka playing like past Jan. cupcake candidate form. He's got a brace vs vs Pachuca

deuteronomy and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats a good result for Montreal, but I'm surprised McInerney and Eric Miller didn't play.

11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cabrera is better than Miller. Dude was still winning balls while he was cramping up.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Miller can play in many positions, and he had a very good rookie year. This is still just their preseason, so we'll see what happens when their MLS season starts.

13. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Cabrera was out of position and lost his mark on Pachucas 2nd goal

14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Justin Mapp was excellent against Pachuca.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    uncapped by JK.

Immediate Competition for a need position: Tchani, Neagle(fw)
    Talented but needs more seasoning: Finlay, Wenger, Bunbury, Rogers(lb), Haaglund, Shipp, Powers
    Good but not really competing for a position of need: Gaddis(rb), Schuler

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No kidding.................

OptaJack @OptaJack · 22h 22 hours ago
    113 - @FCDallas' Fabian Castillo beat an opponent via dribble 113 times in @MLS 2014, 24 times more than any other player. Lightning.

About midway thru this season I predict we're going to add FCD's left back Moises Hernandez to the "immediate competition for a need position" category. He was quietly very good last season, and he's still only 22. Not as much of an attacking threat as Klinsmann appears to like from his fullbacks, however.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Why is it bad if it helps us qualify for the Olympics? The impression that I got was not that these were necessarily players being groomed for full USMNT duty, but players that were being given a camp with the first team for the benefit of Andreas Herzog, the U-23 coach. He could get a look at some of his pool ahead of qualification while simultaneously performing his regular NT duties for the full national team. I'm sure you remember the London Olympics... and the lack of a US soccer presence. If it's true that the USMNT is what mainly drives the popularity of the sport in the US (and I think it is), then having a U-23 presence at a highly-watched event such as the Olympics is absolutely crucial.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The way I look at the January camp, 7 of the original 28 called in were for the Olympic team, similar to what you said. That leaves a Senior National Team roster of 21.

I'd like our January camp to be more than just 21 senior level players, especially considering a lot of the players called in were veterans like Dempsey, Bradley and Besler or Klinsmann favorites like Wondo, Wood and Ibarra. There weren't enough good young MLS players in that January camp.

19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When they stop getting playing time and/or move to the 2.Bundesliga.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I would take Jared Watts before Tchani. We need to think in terms of somebody reliable to do Beckerman's job. Giving the ball away like Tchani does would doom us at International level. Watts would be 26 in Russia. Another age appropriate player in a need position to keep an eye on in his sophomore season.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    'Giving the ball away like Tchani'. Is that some kind of BS old wives tale?

22. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Preseason action yesterday, Tommy McNamara for NYCFC set up a goal for Diskerud against Houston with a backheel and another chance for Ballouchi who hit the post. Seattle homegrown rookie Darwin Jones beat a man and set up a goal for Kenny Cooper against the Revs.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree with this. I have nothing against Tchani, but I think some people overrate rate him. Doesn't mean he's bad, but I just don't see him as a USMNT caliber player.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is Bill Hamid injured? Why didn't he play today in the CCL?

25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watts touch is not good enough for the international level.

Tom Collingsworth and COMtnGuy repped this.