MLS Flavors of the Week, 2015 Edition [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jan 13, 2015.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It's not hard to figure out that Lamar is indeed not better than Obafemi Martins or Clint Dempsey. He has generally been the starting right mid in their four-pronged 'hydra' attack, though as a utilty player has been moved around a bit.

Whether one 'sees' him not ever getting a call up is besides the point: he has an excellent per 90 minute record for position over the past two seasons. Good players don't always get their due. That is life. No big deal.

2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Neagle's goals + assists per 90

2014: 0.72
    2013: 0.45

His numbers got an awful lot better with both Martins and Dempsey healthy and in form ... similar to those forwards who put up career numbers when paired with Thierry Henry.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Per 90 per position.

Kenny Cooper had 2 18 goal seasons only one of which was with Henry. BWP did have a career season with Henry, however.

4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what that was about, but imo Henry makes everyone in the attack better, whether it's wingers, strikers, or midfielders.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There was a claim of forwards putting up career numbers under Henry. I simply added some context.

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. Now that you mention it. I remember KC having had a good year somewhere other than NYRB. FC Dallas if I'm remembering correctly.

7. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone buying MLS direct kick?

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I've had it the past two seasons on FIOS. Not in HD, it sucks no in HD. And too much of MLS's games are on 10:30 (ET) or later, I miss a lot.

May not renew since besides having rbny matches on MSG, I will get NYCFC along with Fox and ESPN matches.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  9. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a streaming option as well? I feel as if I have heard that it's terrible qualiry, but I may just give it a chance.

10. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Is it too early to start a Khiry Shelton Bandwagon?

USAMEX10 repped this.
  11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The streaming service is good, national and in market games are blacked out for 24hrs. Every game is archived.

Pre season so far:

NYFC looked pretty good, very much like a Kreis team, but they are missing a #10. Villa will have to pick up the slack. Mix was playing as the 6, got borderline fouled and made a bad square pass that turned in to a goal. Poku looked very impressive, probably way too far away from citizenship. Mullins might be a good foil. Williams impressed the City faithful with his athleticism.

Crew: Finlay was very active, had a great dribble through 3 guys and left footed shot bounce out off the underside of the crossbar. Trapp and Tchani seem to be playing more of a double pivot. Tony was a bit lackadasical, Wil looked ok, a bit more aggressive stepping to cut out passes and press first touches. Klute had a nice, quick second assist on a pass to feet in the box, too up and down and has tough competition for minutes.

Toronto: Mike was ok today. Jozy had a great first time, diaganol chipped assist to Osorio. TFC has little depth on the wings but a solid spine. Hagglund played RB and looked better than in the past on the ball, playing simply. Justin Morrow does not add anything to the attack.

NE: Agudelo had an assist by holding off his marker, turning inside, and playing a square ball behind a midfielder for Diego to run onto at the top of the box. Alston looked good at LB. Rowe and Bunbury were not playing like national team contenders.

12. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I let mine automatically renew, but I'm not sure I would have taken the effort to sign up again if it wasn't on auto-renew.

It's a good product, and watching it with the Apple TV app was an absolute breeze but it's an awful lot of soccer to try and watch. If you consider all the EPL and Nats games most of us probably watch, you feel like you're spending an unhealthy amount of time in front of the TV.

Marko72 and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  13. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Best uncapped XI anyone? My take

Akindele
    Wenger. Shipp. Finlay
    Tchani. Powers.
    Villafaña O' Neill. Okugo. Williams
    Clark

Not sure why Klinsmann has yet to call up those guys in mid and attack (excluding Tesho) they can help as great depth options at least.

Mr Martin and Bob Morocco repped this.
  14. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    A couple of other names to consider are Luis Silva (last year's top uncapped American) and Darlington Nagbe (would've been if he were eligible).

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...-merged-2014-r.2003848/page-211#post-31335788

Imo, Nagbe is a good bit more interesting than anyone above. I like this pic of him in his youth days after arriving from Switzerland as an 11-year-old "miniature pro."

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ssf/2013/10/nagbe_profile.html

[​IMG]

USAMEX10 repped this.
  15. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I forgot about Silva thanks. I would slot him in at Striker instead of Tesho then.. Perfect shame Klinsmann generally doesn't really scout the quality players on non-play off teams

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agree except
    Tesho should maybe rethink Canada. I just don't know if there will be room for him at the end of the day, even if I like his game a lot.
    Tchani makes mistakes in crucial positions. Not ready.
    Okugo and O'Neill too raw at cb.
    Williams - which one?
    Villafana not as good as some others at lb.
    Clark - international game probably a hair above his athletic talent.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bunbury - it's preseason. They know what he brings.

Klute- is competing for a spot - with the way Berhalter likes to put his fullbacks higher than anybody in the league, Klute is a good choice, because of his ability to cover lots of ground and he looked a lot better than he did previously which was also commented on over at Crew boards. Wouldn't Berhalter be better off with 3cb formation with flankers that high?

18. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There are better guys than those guys but I think those are the best uncapped (not much too choose from tho tbh) u23 Eric Miller Is a potential full back candidate

19. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Orlando: Okugo was playing Dmid, largely shut down zone 14 outside of Villa's early strike off the bar. Kaka is going to make Shea better. He plays in that center left channel and his possession passing and off the ball movement has to rub off. Brek had a great game on both sides of the ball outside of a slip/comically early sliding tackle attempt in the box on Tony Taylor. Unless they mis_IDed him Tommy Redding came on and played at LCM and did well. Tyler Turner looked good at RB, connecting on some well-timed forward passes to checking attackers and solid defensive interventions but Orlando's starting RB looks like a two-way force. Connor Donovan also had a good showing, if he keeps it up and is our U20's 4th best CB that's depth we've never had at that level. Overall Orlando looks like they are trying to play good, South American soccer and have depth but we'll see what happens when the games matter, finishing could be key.

NYCFC: Tony Taylor has been playing as well as I've ever seen from him. Athletically the tools are there but like most of our players needs to be more consistent, and make better decisions on the ball. Doesn't offer a ton in possession. Could end up as a higher ceiling version of Robbie Findley. If NY's midfield is dominating he'll help them stretch the field from up top but in a more even contest is most useful out wide. Khiry Shelton could play himself onto the Olympic team, big, fast, seems to have an appetite for the grunt work needed from a lone forward. Too early to tell how he does playing off others or in tight spaces. Could turn into Zardes or Sapong.

KC: Feilhaber's long throughballs have been quality this preseason. KC seems to want to play him as a deep distributor with Espinoza buzzing around him. Zusi's far post finish off of one of those throughballs was well taken. Dwyer was busy as ever, KC seemed to be in more of a 4-4-2 with Anor on the left and Zusi on the right but maybe it's a hybrid. Opara got hurt again, Besler blasted a clearance off his head. I don't think EPB, who did well earlier, played against the Sounders.

Seattle: 3-5-2 with Evans at RCB didn't click, lackluster showing from the starters, seemed like a classic heavy legs pre-season showing. Roldan was a little bit imprecise from RCM trying to push the attack. Victor Mansaray provided a real spark off the bench, goal off a corner while fighting off a Sinovic bear hug and assist by touching on a cross to the far post for Cooper. Almost an assist after getting a low Roldan cross out from under his feet and laying off. He's eligible for the next U-20's, turned 18 today. Kovar put in a bunch of good balls with his left.

20. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marko72, Mr Martin, Dr.Phil and 3 others repped this.
  21. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp ;)

Hollingshead is an interesting case, former Pac 12 POY and spent most of last season working his way back into soccer shape after taking a year off. Not sure if he has enough quality to be a legit national team prospect but I think he has the ability to develop into a solid starter for FCD, somewhat reminds me of Eric Alexander.

Fanatical Monk and deuteronomy repped this.
  22. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D Like I was sayin' . . .

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  23. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbie Keane talks some Gysai Zardes (remember two years ago, he gave Zardes in game looks like he had lost the family treasure :mad: )

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...sees-bright-future-gyasi-zardes-after-whirldw

“He has come on a lot,” Keane told reporters about the 23-year-old Zardes. “He played on the left [wing] in the first half, but striker is certainly his best position. He scored a lot of goals last year [16] and he’s only growing with being called up the national team as well.

“[Jurgen] Klinsmann has spoken very, very highly of him and about his attitude in training and the way that he played. He’s only going to get better.”

The inevitable question then is: how far can Zardes go? In the immediate future, he seems poised for a star turn with the Galaxy and at least further consideration from the national team, with the 2015 Gold Cup and 2018 World Cup qualifying both fast approaching.

Said Keane, “He’s certainly got the potential [to excel in Europe], but we want to keep him here.”And after a whirldwind few months Zardes simply wants to catch his breath. He may have enjoyed going from MLS Cup to USMNT duty to a preseason tour with Galaxy, but now it’s time to unwind ahead of the MLS season opener on March 6 against Chicago Fire

“It’s been very busy. I had a month with the national team and then I came on this trip, so it’s nice to get back to family now,” said Zardes about the conclusion of the preseason trip to Ireland.

And lol at the MLS.com editors misspelling of the word whirlwind or perhaps inventing a new word. . .

25. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    not sure it's Pablo with all the bad decision making. Hinchey isn't well thought of around these parts.
    It will always have a place in MLS as long as we have kids that accept college scholarships. I don't see the attraction of a free college degree going away any time soon.

Now eventually, it could be an engine to stock the USL and lower rosters with prospects instead of the top clubs. I could certainly see that, but not for many years. Probably around the same time MLS is truly a "top" league and we're all giddy with the usmnt's prospects at WC 20xx.

Holy crap, where have I been! This is the first I've heard of this. I hope they get good Juan and not sulking wants to be in Europe Juan. If they get good Juan they are my team to beat in the east easily, and maybe all of MLS.

I figured they picked up Mix to play 10? Maybe that is where Lampard ends up? It makes sense if it allows them to take some burden off his old legs.
    Just from a pure "character" standpoint he should get a look as a squad guy if he's even remotely nt quality. He sounds like the type of guy that can make a good locker room great.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.