MLS Flavors of the Week, 2015 Edition [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jan 13, 2015.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hopefully both score 20+ and are out of MLS by the end of the season.

2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Should I want Jozy to have a big year? Or should I want him to fall flat?

If he has a big year, it is good in the short term for the National Team. But it also means that the league is miles behind England. Basically it would mean that no American forward is even near the low end of the EPL.

3. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about if Jozy's production this year matches or exceeds Defoe's production last year (11 goals in 19 games) at TFC? I'm not saying that it's likely to happen, but if it did, would you then concede that Jozy's problems at Sunderland were due to a lack of fit rather than a lack of quality?

4. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Of course! Let Jozy's PL failure go. This is the US, where our all-time leading goalscorer is Landon Donovan, and in European soccer, he managed only 2 goals in 29 career appearances.

Bottom line: Jozy is absolutely critical to our national team this cycle. We need him to be in top form.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  5. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Defoe's numbers at TFC break down as 11 goals and 2 assists in his first 13 games, followed by 0 goals and 0 assists in his last 6. Whether he was disaffected or injured or something else, he wasn't the same player after mid-season.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was affected with the affliction known as TFC :D

FlipsLikeAPancake, profiled and Hararea repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree, It means USA players need to wait if needed and find a club that best fits their playing style and skills over just moving for a pay check.

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Defoe has two goals in three games for Sunderland. That's a better test.

9. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore was terrible at Sunderland. He won't have the space he got in Holland and no one on Toronto is really serving up assist.

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fanatical Monk and USAMEX10 repped this.
  11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is interesting, dont think any of us had a clue on that. good player, would like to see him get some looks on either national team.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That would be pretty cool for Ireland to call him up. I don't think he'll ever get capped with the USMNT, but he's one of those players that will probably always be close but just never good enough. He might be good enough for Ireland.

13. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt that at least anywhere on the rm/rw lw/lm. Don't see him making it as a striker.

14. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Neagle was/is definitely worthy of a January Camp call up.. Still deserves a call up not like usmnt are deep in wingers tbh

15. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree he gets up and down and was able to chip in and score. I wanted to see him get a look in the Jan camp

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm starting to get a bad feeling that Delgado and Hagglund are not going to be playing much for TFC this season because they brought in mediocre European veterans that could take their place. Would hate to see two promising young American players bypassed just because Toronto thinks almost every player on their roster has to have played in Europe at some point in their career. If this happens, they will become the new NYRB to me, the MLS team I dislike the most.

gunnerfan7 and koolvid repped this.
  17. areathrasher

areathrasher Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hagglund is #3 on the CB depth chart. Given Caldwell and Perquis are made of glass, he'll defo see plenty of game time this season. Given what's been coming out of camp, i'd be more worried about who's behind him than in front of him. Draft Pick Simonen has been impressive as has been Zaveleta.

Delgado is tougher to predict as the positions he plays there is plenty of depth. One thing working in his favour is that he is Vanney's boy, he'll work him in somewhere.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thing about Delgado is that he is definitely versatile.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I just think both players have played well enough last season to be starters somewhere in MLS. To come into this season not being starters is something I don't really like, regardless of which team they are playing for. I rated both of these players as close to be USMNT players with another good season, and for them to now start it off as likely back ups, its not a good start to that season.

I get what Toronto's trying to do and all that, but with Hagglund its aggravating that TFC had CB depth problems last season that were clearly not involving him and he gets passed over now just because a few of their other CB's have European clubs on their resume.

With Delgado, I get that its probably easier to get playing time at Chivas USA than most clubs, but I was hoping he'd go somewhere with less depth in the central midfield. Now that they've brought in that guy from Marseille, it gets even tougher for him. I get he's versatile and all that, so he definitely should see playing time. I'd just like to see him establish himself somewhere rather than just playing wherever they have a player out of the lineup.

20. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have trouble believing Lamar Neagle is NT quality. Fast hard worker, sure, but the touch and the technical skills are not up to standard. Didn't Lamar line up at ST for SEA too?

From what I have seen, he is not good enough on the flanks or up top.

Decision making is iffy as well.

Tom Collingsworth, comoesa and Hararea repped this.
  21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a good MLS player. Nothing more.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bettter than the NASL MVP we currently are giving minutes to however.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  23. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the debate between Ibarra and Neagle are about their ceilings, not their current status as a player.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    All gormless handwaving aside, Neagle's per-90 productivity for position has been fairly elite over the past two seasons. He is disadvantaged by essentially having to be a utility attacker. If played consistently in his two best positions, right-mid and striker, his talents would be more discernable.

25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Than the Sounders coach must feel he is not better then Seattle's RM or Striker (That's an obvious one given their roster), I really don't see any reason for Neagle to ever get a call up. Some guys are just league good and that's it, no shame in it, etc.