MLS Flavors of the week, 2013 style

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's a concern. Of course its a concern in every nation.

Of the guys you mention............I personally don't think Soony Saad is good enough. And its been so long since anybody's actually seen Gulley play that we're all pretty much in the dark. It's possible the last time I saw him was with the US U17s................

The rest need to break into the lineups, or get loaned out.

The young LA forwards will get plenty of playing time this year, especially with Donovan on Cambodia duty.

One "youngish" player I'm looking at to make a move into USMNT considertion this season is Perry Kitchen. I really like his game, and he's ready. OF course, he doesn't play a position of need for the USMNT................

2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I can't pretend to be an expert on every nation, but I don't think you're right to be so dismissive.

From what I've seen, there are plenty of clubs in other countries that carry smaller rosters and don't rely much on imports or mediocre veterans. And there are plenty of coaches who belong to the same school as Bob Bradley and are willing to get young players onto the field early.

If SKC decides that Saad isn't good enough, then they should cut him now. If the talent isn't there, then why waste time and money? But if the talent is there, it needs to be put in a situation where it can flourish.

The best way to get young players to succeed is by setting them to succeed. This isn't rocket science.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree. We are actually lacking right now of good center defensive midfielders... we have lots of two-way midfielders...

4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And my best rookie team right now iin the pre-season...

-----------------------------Zardes-----------------------------
    ------Hurtado-------------Alvarez-----------Stertzer--------
    -----------------------------Trapp----------------------------
    -----------------------------Lopez----------------------------
    -----------Yedlin---------Zavaleta-------Farrell------------
    ----------------------------Castano--------------------------

Bench: Stuver, Zimmerman, Kemp, Powers, Caldwell, Finley, Rugg

5. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    They need someone to play on the right too, with Beckham, Buddle, Donovan, Swedish guy gone theres a few spots open in the starting lineup

6. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Well, I rate MLS at about the same level as the Championship, so maybe our unproven young forwards should go to England's League One to try to get competitive minutes. There are 19? teams in MLS - at some point we can't complain about opportunity.

7. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Believe it or not, first-team development was better back when the league had only ten teams. Rosters were smaller then, so young players weren't an afterthought the way they are for most teams now.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More importantly, that DP rule caused a lot of MLS teams to try and stack the front line by going international. Regardless, we haven't created enough players to the level to compete with these guys, which is a shame.

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raymond Gaddis. Eyebrow raised. could Morrow have some left back competition?

in a field of Zusi (who just scored), feilhaber, and myers, and other players on the field, that Gaddis has been the most noticable is pretty exciting.

10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Zusi just scored. Pretty nice finish from about 8 yards out. Beat the keeper and 2 guys on the line, slotted it high.

11. NewSoccerJunky

May 20, 2012
    Gaddis has looked real good. So has M Farfan. Okugo is getting there.

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    If San Jose's band of misfits had finished last in 2012, then I'd agree that Americans don't have the level to compete. But as we know, they won the regular season title, outpacing teams that had spent vastly more money on international talent.

What this says to me is that American players are being under-valued. If we gave more of them a fighting chance, we'd see more of them succeed. And if we don't start seeing more exciting young Americans in MLS, it's hard to see much reason to keep following the league. Better to just watch our high-end players abroad.

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Gaddis' skill is way too raw, but I like that he's not afraid to penetrate right down the heart of the defense and take people on. I also dig his speed obviously.

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, its coming along though, its nice to see. Maybe another year or two in the oven we got something there

Tom Collingsworth and ImaPuppy repped this.
  15. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Real talk: Jack Mcinierny is a better soccer player than EJ. I really would like to see him at some point to see if he's quick enough-both in pace and with thought-to contribute. His off the ball movement is really, really good.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feilhaber was out shown by Rozell. Another day in the office for Zusi.

17. MadRHatter

MadRHatter Member

May 6, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are some players without a national team cap to look out for this season? Players who can *maybe* make an impact on the usmnt in the coming year and a half

18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    After all the Silva talk in this thread, he's apparently not in TFC's 18 today. A late injury?

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be completely bewildering if hes not. Especially when throwing out rock stars like Lambe, hall, and Dunfield......but it is TFC so who knows

20. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    I guess so, people saying he didnt travel with the team

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A Gale Abgossoumonde sighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's on TFC's bench,......................

22. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Rusin has been real impressive since stepping in for Demerit. You gotta hope his injury isnt serious but if it is I think Rusin will turn some heads.
    Btw, this match is horrible.

23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Neither team is playing half-decent soccer so far. About the best we've seen is Manneh running at people and that's about it.

24. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Watching Houston v DCU, and I'm impressed by how physical Bruin's playing, and by how often he's winning physical battles. He's playing like a legit target forward.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one thing i am very disappointed in thus far is how many MLS teams are rocking the 4-5-1. thats so submissive. but.......maybe i shouldnt mind it given the "4-3-3" we employ now with the nats