MLS Essentials for FM09/WSM09

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by Aljarov, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    HI - this is Aljarov, I'm the Head Resreacher for FM/WSM for MLS/Canada.

Well the game is out tomorrow (in the UK) and on the 17th here in the USA.

My media file has been completed (save the KC stuff, which I gave my best effort).

you can download it here:

I've also put together (with the help of several members of the SI/FM community) a Facepack download to complement the images that come in the game. This should fill in almost every player in MLS as well as adds in the majority of the USMNT and CMNT players, as well as some key free agents and USL players in this area.

You can get that here:

I thoroughly recommend also installing the Mexican facepack (onielpapas did an excellent one) as well as downloading and installing this file, which has all the logos for CONCACAF and beyond.

That can be found here:

As always, I recommend getting the patch upon purchase as it will be out immediately. The 1st patch has some key MLS fixes (SuperDraft) as well as a tweak to the media which will be good.

Let me know if you have questions.

Cheers

Aljarov

PS My MLS Game Guide is also available in the SI Bootroom, or by downloading it http://files.filefront.com/MLS+Quick+Guide+FM09+WSM9doc/;12345617;/fileinfo.html

2. MarkyMark

MarkyMark Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just downloaded and took a brief look at your MLS guide: excellent job! Thank you very much. Hopefully this will help Americans get into the game a little more.

I can't wait to get WSM.

3. mantorras77

mantorras77 Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Is WSM09 the same exact game as FM09 just with a different marketing name?

When SI releases the patches for FM are they the same patches that are downloaded for WSM?

4. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have ordered WSM from Amazon, and as soon as I upgrade my PC i will be playing ever-so regularly.

5. Warwick the Warlock

Real Madrid
    Jun 12, 2006
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Aljarov,

Excellent work. I particularly like the added media sources and journalist. Do you know if anyone else is working on or completed this type of edit for other countries or regions? I searched the normal places (sortitoutsi forums, si forums, etc.), but I couldn't find anything.

Nice work, again. This really adds to the game.

6. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've updated several of the files to clean out some errors plus add some guys that were still missing.

You can get all/any of my MLS files on filefront.

http://hosted.filefront.com/Aljarov

(the v2 is the most recent, though really it is v3 as it fixed the configs in a couple of the folders).

For those that downloaded the original, just download the late additions (this was also updated Monday 11/17).

7. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    WSM and FM are not quite the same, though very close. The two are compatible for online games, but do not share patches.

The WSM patch is different and will actually have some VERY important fixes to the playoffs, NACL/CCL qualifiers and some others issues.

8. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Thank you for doing all this.

9. Tim Brice

Tim Brice Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aljarov,

Do you know if players in the PDL will occasionaly sign with European or even USL teams instead of taking the MLS offers?

10. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes. Some players just wont be interested in signing with MLS, some will want more money (ie a SNR deal) than they're worth. All of white is realistic.

11. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll wait until the patch in Jan/Feb (superdraft). One day I will switch over from Champman 01/02, it would help if the league would stop expanding.

I guess I also need to do some modifications to my PC as well

12. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the guide and I must say well done!!!. This might get me to start playing WSM09 more.

13. Lebronfeldt

Lebronfeldt New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I bought WSM09 and it made me realize how old my computer is, I think in 2003. The 3D-view doesn't work and it sucks the life out my CPU. It makes it really tough to play and to navgate.

I do like the press conferences. Maybe a new pc for christmas.

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Into which folders should all the files be extracted into (not all of the downloads include installation notes)? :confused:

-G

15. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    well done Al. One point - in the guide, NPSL should stand for National Pacific Soccer League, not Premier. But I digress.

*bows* we're not worthy

16. SoundersFC

SoundersFC New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Aljarov, thank you for the info and files. I'll definitely check these out. I currently have the demo through Steam, but will be picking up the full game through there as well. I'm a big fan of the series.

Can you give any advice on how to perform the necessary edits to put Seattle Sounders FC in the game? I imagine one would have to replace a current MLS team in order for it to work? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide for how to go about this.

17. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should wait for the patch in February that will have Seattle (and the draftpicks) in the database (San Jose was in WWSM2008 after the patch). It might be easier to move teams around then

I guess I should try that with the 08 game

18. SoundersFC

SoundersFC New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Nice! Thanks for the info. I didn't know they patched the current version to include expansion teams like that. I'll definitely be looking forward to that update.

Does it still come down to having to replace a current team with them in order to play as them, or will it allow play in MLS with all 15 teams?

19. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would still have to replace another team with Seattle (though i haven't tried it yet).

20. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Is there some kind of commenting blackout going on for WWSM, or has everyone just holed up to play nonstop since release day?

In any case, there are still incredibly annoying roster problems with MLS, and I can't find a thread anywhere addressing them.

I'm speaking specifically about the fact that the game:

Unregisters any player who is retiring at season's end.

Unregisters any player who is transferring to another club in the future.

Randomly releases players from your roster without warning.

Anybody who could point me towards discussion/solutions for these issues would be my hero.

Also, if you know how to stop Strikers from sucking, that'd be great as well...

21. GoNYforBarca

GoNYforBarca New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    La Barra Brava DC

I have the same issues with releasing players... Why is it that like every two weeks someone gets released on a free transfer? I end up resigning people and then two weeks later they get released again. Any advice?

22. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    not yet, but I'm scouring the SIGames forums to see if anyone cares about MLS. This bug damn near ruins the game afaic.

23. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

strange - hadn't checked bigsoccer in a week, hadn't played wwsm since my post, but it looks like this issue might be fixed in a patch released today:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=82282

good hunting

24. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Fixed in the most recent patch

25. Tim Brice

Tim Brice Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know where I can find the guide that was posted in the OP? The link is now dead.