Pre-match: MLS EC Semi-Final Leg 2: Columbus @ NYC, 11/5, 5pm

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 31, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Result of 11/05 match vs NYC FC

Poll closed Nov 4, 2017.
  1. Crew advance with 2 or more aggregate goals

78.0%
  2. Crew advance with less than 2 aggregate goals

19.5%
  3. NYC FC advances with less than 2 aggregate goals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. NYC FC advances with 2 or more aggregate goals

2.4%
  1. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    ESPN picked up our match for their second leg selection.

That means Columbus is in New York at 5pm on Sunday starting with a 3 goal lead.

TRUJDUB, chr1st and Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    NY field looking good today.

[​IMG]

chr1st, Robbo Crewfan and CybrSlydr repped this.
  3. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple poll. Too cold to do all the permutations. If one of our fine, intelligent mods can merge thread that would be just special.

chr1st and hardhead repped this.
  4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad about the away goal, but I can't say that we didn't gift NYC enough chances for them to have deserved one.

The more I think about the series, the stranger it gets. NYCFC will have played us three times in a row by Sunday. They had more than a week off between their final regular season match, at "home" against us, and last night's match, while we played 120 minutes at Atlanta in between. I'm a little concerned about fatigue going into Sunday. BUT, the Crew do seem to have excellent roster fitness. It's something Berhalter obviously stresses (recall Manneh's extended period being in training before he was deemed fit enough to get any minutes). NYC's red card last night helps, too.

My primary wish is that we clean up our poor communication on the back line from last night. And make whatever footwear adjustments are necessary to stop the effing slipping! Otherwise, stay the course, just play your game. No bunker ball, IMO. Interesting note from last night: Our possession stats last night were very un-Crew-like; we were all about counter-attacking. Obviously, NYC have to come out pressing for an early goal to have any chance. It would seem a similar game plan to last night's would make sense for us.

chr1st repped this.
  5. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we have someone man-mark Villa? It's so damn congested in that baseball infield that we can afford to lose someone in the midfield.

6. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't come out and bunker. Again, defending isn't our bag. Play smart, but don't play negative.

The Pigeons need three goals at a minimum so they'll have to over-commit to the attack. Absorb the pressure, clog up the middle, and hit them on the counter. If we can weather the first 20 minutes without giving up a goal, they'll start to get desperate.

If we can snag a goal before half, this thing should be over. I like our chances of making that happen. They'll be aggressive, and we've only been held scoreless six times this season.

Let's win this ********ing thing!

Beerking, TrueCrew, TRUJDUB and 3 others repped this.
  7. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TRUJDUB and chr1st repped this.
  8. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting the early goal helped. It seemed like after goals started pouring in it was bunker, outlet, fast break attack - which doesn't help possession numbers.

9. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the permutations for the Crew to advance are ???
    • Crew 0 goals in NYC - hold NYC < 3 goals ( 4 + 0 = 4 loses 1 + 3 = 4 with NYC advancing via away goals)
    • Crew 1 goal - hold NYC < 4 goals (4 goals would force 30 minutes overtime then penalty kicks to decide)
    • Crew 2 goals - hold NYC < 6 ( 4 + 2 = 6 beats 1 + 5 = 6 via away goals )
    • Crew 3 - NYC < 7 ... and so on ...
    So getting at least one goal in NYC is comfortable. Getting two or more is Miller time...

Robbo Crewfan, Draghignazzo and chr1st repped this.
  10. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WIN!
    I'm for you. An MLS Cup win for Columbus would be a bright spot in some bleak last few months of soccer for me - USMNT, FC Dallas collapse.
    I took a look at the potential stadium sites for Austin - the U of Texas track / soccer stadium and a possible new stadium southeast of Austin next to the F1 track. How these are better than Crew Stadium, I don't know unless everyone gets a suite in the new stadium.
    As a fan of another low attendance 1996 MLS team (even lower attendance than you!), I hate this Austin move BS for you.

Beerking, davidc707, stanger and 14 others repped this.
  11. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't give Villa time and Space. And watch out for Jack Harrison.

12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And avoid fouling in dangerous free kick areas. Assuming we get past NYCFC, that'll be even more vital versus Giovinco/TFC, anyway, so we may as well start working on it now.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  13. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see some squad rotation for this match. This will be teams 3rd game in 9 days and 4th in 14 days. Francis at LB, Jukka at RB, Abu at DMid, Hansen and Manneh on the wings. We looked a little tired during the match, need to get fresh legs and minds out there for a big time defensive game. Then if things go sideways, you can bring in meram/pedro and afful for goals if they should be needed

14. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The winner of this game has more than 2 weeks off before the next round.

I would expect most of our regulars will start.

TRUJDUB, Draghignazzo, mmradio13 and 3 others repped this.
  15. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the squad was rotated a tad in this one. Meram played 90 while Santos came off. Santos having played 105 minutes in Atlanta while Meram came out early.

Jiminez got a little rest in Atlanta as well.

No way, barring injury during practice this week, that we see any changes in the starting 11. Dance with those that brung ya.

110toyourleft repped this.
  16. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it that MLS calling the Columbus Crew the team of destiny make be want to puke?
    And why does it feel like it means we are going to lose?

Cowtown Felipe repped this.
  17. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict a Crew player will be sent off early, but the remaining guys will "Hulk Up" and continue to completely frustrate Villa.

18. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYC has to press and push forward. This should open the game up. I'd be shocked if the Crew didn't at least tie this game. So win by 3+ goals aggregate.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  19. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Start your best XI unless someone really needs to rest a injury

chr1st repped this.
  20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By x aggregate goals. Not with. We already have 4 aggregate goals.

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind getting Francis some run. He has been off for a while but was really playing well prior to his injury. Made the 18 last game. Shake the rust off this game. Could use that left foot on the postage stamp.

If Meram does have a knock, rest him to start. Manneh is fine.

The giveaways from Artur & Williams & Manneh scare me as well. HAVE to clean that up. If it means Abu & Abubakar for a stretch, I am fine with it.

CrewV Man repped this.
  22. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    One thing is we need to stay healthy for the showdown with TFC. Win this gm and keep good form I think whoever wins the East will win MLS cup. Why not us?

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a good amount of time off after the game as there is a international break.

Citeh will be super aggressive pressing on the postage stamp pitch. If the ref allows a lot of ankle kicking early, they could get back into it & injuries could happen.

24. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Seems odd for MLS to take a break because of UEFA matches. Were they expecting the US to finish 4th in CONCACAF or something like that?

kgilbert78 repped this.
  25. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    TFC is going to be a huge hurdle. If things go well tomorrow, I can't wait to check out the home leg.

CybrSlydr repped this.