MLS Cup Final: ATL v POR

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Dec 6, 2018.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atlanta United vs. Portland Timbers
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium - Atlanta
    December 8 - 8 pm
    FOX

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    Armchair Analyst tactical preview here.
    AJC.com AUFC page here.

As with last week I'll be doing my offering in parts. For tonight the basic info that matters:

Neither team had a player suspended coming into the final, and Portland is without recent injuries coming into the match save one, with striker Samuel Armenteros listed as questionable. If he doesn't play their attack will lack a forward with more than 3 goals.

Atlanta is considered at full health save for those players who've rarely played or started. (R. Williams, Ambrose, Vasquez...) McCann isn't at full strength but reports are that he's likely to be at least in the 18 and could go if needed. Most importantly Parkhurst has at least done some practicing with the team and his ankle injury has been treated every day. As of today there's been nothing to indicate he'll miss the match, which not only would be fitting for a man who's been in MLS for so long but also considering his value to the team's defense. The only thing worth monitoring here is whether or not it will be tender enough to handle the work load or the hacks he'll surely suffer.

After 3 losses and 2 draws to start the Savarese era Portland has prospered by understanding his Italian inspired approach built on a frustrating defense and opportunistic offense. Defensively they're not as suffocating as SKC and they don't press in the fashion of RBNY, but they specialize in eliminating channels in their defensive third and employing a rapid counter attack that, if effective, can tire an opposing team that must constantly reset with each attack. Offensively Portland doesn't rely on a pure striker - Valeri and Blanco account for almost half their 63 goals from midfield positions - but instead looks to break in rotation and force opposing teams to react in coverage, often getting match-ups that favor surprising runs from the likes of Chara and Blanco. It's not exactly as effectively done as the AC Milan sides of a generation ago but when Portland can frustrate their opponents' assault well enough the Timbers are fully capable of slipping in quality shot opportunities and nipping a result. They have, after all, just marched through the post-season notching road wins at FC Dallas and SKC, while clinching the series against Seattle in the Emerald City.

Portland isn't afraid and is experienced. Four of their expected starters played when Portland won the 2015 MLS Cup, and others have been around the MLS block. Plus Portland has been a perennial contestant in the MLS playoffs and, as part of the Cascadian trio, is no stranger to crowds and high pressure games. Savarese, while a first time coach in MLS, has a decent coaching pedigree and, most importantly, has engendered himself to the players and found a system in which the players fully believe and they know they can win. They will roll into Atlanta expecting to win.

While their configuration may vary their overall approach won't. Portland will want to concede possession and encourage Atlanta to push forward and risk overconfidence. They'll likely favor a half-field game that sucks LGP and Parkhurst up high and Garza and Escobar(?) even higher, so that they can counter-attack and use their speed from midfield. Chara will be the key player to watch in terms of what spaces he fills and how much of the game he'll have to spend in recovery or defense. If Portland can force Atlanta to pass around the field and slow down the overall pace of play then the Colombian will have plenty of gas and chances to sneak in and force and Atlanta mistake. If he's having to help cover defensively and spends more time as a release valve for any pressure they're under then it means Portland will likely have fewer quality chances.

Portland doesn't get near as physical as the NY teams so Atlanta will find opportunities to rotate players around the offensive third and probe for lanes in the Portland defense. Here look for Ridgewell and Villafana to try to keep the line of their back 4/5 and choke the ability of Martinez to serve as a point forward. In classic bend-but-don't-break style they'll surrender runs and shots from out high in exchange for minimizing the chances for through passes and shots from within the box. If Atlanta is reduced to crosses to just Martinez and frustration among the other attackers then the Timbers will feel the game is going their way.

So, what will Atlanta do? TBC...

Eleven Bravo, Mabee, VFish and 2 others repped this.
  2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appreciate your work all season starting these threads. And now...

...once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more!

GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    So in what miserable way are we going to lose this one? This is Atlanta. We can't have nice sports things:

Our Olympics was bombed
    A tornado hit the Ga Dome WHILE the SEC basketball tourney was being played
    28-3
    The Falcons have the 4th all time worst winning percentage in the NFL
    First Super Bowl in team history saw our star corner get arrested for soliciting a prostitute
    Not one but TWO hockey teams have left the city
    Hawks have been in town for 50 years and only 5 division titles. ZERO trips to the finals
    Jon Koncak
    Braves have 18 division crowns but are 1-4 in the big one. Only win was 23 years ago and we only won because Cleveland is a bigger sad sack than Atlanta
    Hosted a Super Bowl a couple times
    First one was OJ Simpson's last TV assignment
    Second saw a debilitating ice storm and a double homicide that somehow involved an NFL superstar

Been in this town too long to feel good about this match.

Portland 2-1 on PKs.

Josef trips while doing his stupid run up

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's been a pleasure. Hope we can do this for many years.

I can't deny the validity behind your suspicions, but I will say on United's behalf that pretty much everything they've done in managing the franchise has been the opposite of those Atlanta teams which fostered that feeling. It is the first team we've built from the bottom up, and have truly taken on even before it's won anything. And it's not like Portland is chopped liver.

Time to make history.

kaburu repped this.
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So what will Atlanta do?

Conventional thinking says the team stays the course with their post-season approach, which is to be defensive minded in limiting mistakes in their own half and trusting the offensive talent will eventually break through. Escobar and Remedi have played well enough to support this notion and their speed on defense will be critical in how the Stripes defend against the Portland counter. However, this is a one-off match unlike the two-legged affairs vs the NY teams and Portland comes in as a confident underdog who will be content to sit back and soak up pressure, so while limiting giveaways by the defense is critical the pressures that LGP, Parkhurst and company can expect will take a different shape than the past four games. Ebobisse is, shall we say, a different calibre of striker than BWP or David Villa.

This, and Portland's performances in the SKC series, tells me the keys defensively will be reading the Timbers runs and how Atlanta manages the shifts in man-marking. It might also mean Remedi and Larentowicz will have specific charges to stay thisclose to Valeri and to possibly sacrifice the high line in order to keep Chara and Blanco in front of them. Blanco made an excellent shot from distance last week but let's be honest, that's not happening every game and Atlanta will be happy to let the Timber take their shots from afar rather than concede restart opportunities or shots from close in. So I expect at least 1 deep lying defender and one of the defensive midfielders to sit back more than usual, at least early in the game, and let them focus on the Portland attack while Garza and Franco push forward.

When the teams played in Atlanta about the middle of the season Portland held on for a 1-1 draw. That match featured no Remedi, had Ambrose starting at left back and Barco ahead of him. More importantly Nagbe left the game around the 60' mark as Atlanta was in the ascendancy and Portland keeper Attinella had one of his best games of the year with 9 saves. Portland extended their longest unbeaten run while Atlanta was feeling grump after getting bounced by Chicago from the US Open Cup. Suffice to say a few things have changed since that time. Nagbe has now solidified his role as the midfield general, coordinating the transition and allowing Almiron more chances to focus on attack than on recovery, while Remedi has improved his partnership with Larentowicz that has given Atlanta's defense much better coverage up front. (Just ask the NY teams about this after scoring just 2 goals against the Stripes in 4 games.) Valeri was last year's league MVP but can he and the Timbers continue to defy their expected-goals stats and win a one-off match if the opposing team can still be an offensive threat while 4 (very solid) players guard central defense?

If Atlanta can play their usual wide game AND not concede too many opportunities for Portland to advance then it will reduce the Timbers to a purely counter-attacking scheme that at least becomes predictable, especially should Atlanta secure the first goal. And Atlanta is content to be patient while allowing this to happen based on their recent form. Should Atlanta have sloppy moments in the back and/or concede first then it becomes a chess match to see if Atlanta will shift to get players higher or substitute a player (Escobar?) to add Villalba to the attack.

Should Portland win then it's truly destiny, because they've secured points in the postseason in games that simply broke their way, very much like their last visit to Atlanta. That's what they do. But that's usually not something consistent enough to yield a trophy, especially in a tournament format where each opponent gets tougher. Atlanta has a defensive record to match SKC's AND a more potent offense, and they have just as much a team of destiny belief about themselves. No doubt Tata has reminded them how their laziness cost them the Supporters' Shield, so this is their quest.

The Stripes build a 2-0 lead and forces Portland to chase the match. A third late in the 2nd half seals the deal.

Atlanta 3 -1 Portland

kaburu repped this.
  6. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Cliche, but the first goal will be a huge determining factor.

kaburu repped this.
  7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add in there that UGA can’t win a national championship to save their life.

I agree... I’m betting Atlanta blows it.

8. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. The bunker teams that gave Atlanta problems were the teams that were able to keep the score nil-nil or were able to get a lead. If Atlanta gets an early goal and forces Portland out of their shell, I like our chances.

If at the half the score is tied or Atlanta is down, the teeth nashing will begin. Atlanta is the better team, but Portland has the players (as we saw in KC) that can win the game on their own.

kaburu repped this.
  9. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    anyone know which hotel the timbers are staying at?

10. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to be cold and wet outside, we're not sitting in our usual seats, and the game doesn't even kick off until 8PM. My kids are going to be mentally unstable by game's end, regardless of who wins. Lord help me if it goes to overtime and PKs.

This will be my fourth MLS Cup final, and the first one where a team I support is playing. Luckily, this time (for the first time) I'll be spared the spectacle of New England Revolution losing. 65,000+ fans in the building tomorrow will be on our side. And if it's anything like the playoff games, they'll be vocal. My previous MLS Cup finals were in the "neutral site" era ('06 notwithstanding), and the atmosphere suffered accordingly. This will be very different. 5 out of 7 home teams have won MLS Cup since they moved to the new format (and one of the losses was a draw through extra time). I firmly believe the energy will be enough to push the boys over the finish line.

Vamos ATL!

kaburu and GunnerJacket repped this.
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game day!!!

kaburu and GunnerJacket repped this.
  12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Happy MLS Cup Final Day, everyone!

LET'S.
    DO.
    THIS!

kaburu, Eleven Bravo and Gunner repped this.
  13. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Things I'm concerned about.

- Diego Chara having the speed to keep up with Almiron and neutralize him.
    - Remidi being able to hang with Valeri
    - overall lack of pace from Larry and Parky

What excites me.

- Gressel/Nagbe. If the above happens and Portland elects to take Miggy out of the match we have other options highly capable of generating offense
    - Offensive depth, and especially pace off the bench. After an hour+ of having to chase around Almiron, Martinez, and the gang having the ability to sub in Tito and Barco is a plus
    - The ability to bunker as shown against the NY teams. This team has come a long way from giving up immediate goals following a United score (anyone remember SJ at the Dodd last July 4?). There is a greater confidence here should we get up a goal

I'm flippin' fired up. VAMOS ATL!!!

kaburu repped this.
  14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Christ I am so happy!!!!

Mach1 and kaburu repped this.
  15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to Atlanta United FC and its fans on winning MLS Cup 2018.

VFish, kaburu and Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Nice Job United.

VFish, kaburu and Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why did the owner get the trophy before the team?

kaburu repped this.
  18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Tradition. The league president presents the trophy to the team owner, who passes it off to the team captain, who climbs the podium, holds it high, and passes it to his teammates to do the same.

kaburu repped this.
  19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Congrats gentlemen. You guys were the best team all season, hiccup on the final day aside.

Auriaprottu, kaburu and VFish repped this.
  20. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Atlanta for the great game.You completely outplayed the loggers. From Galaxy fan.

VFish repped this.
  21. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats ATL!

That game reminded of the the POR vs COL final.

In that match COL looked sloppy, confused, and on their heels for the entire first half and sadly(ironically? to me anyway) last night that is how POR looked. I was rooting for them but they really never seemed to get in the game.

22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Same reason he'll be presented with the bill for the victory celebration. The guy did the whole sport a solid with this organization, he earned it, it's his as much as anyone's

Auriaprottu and IvanIV repped this.
  23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we can have nice things in Atlanta with regard to sports!

What a fun night. The weather outside was absolutely miserable but inside the Benz was rocking --- ridiculously loud. Thank you boys, thank you Tata, and thank you Arthur!

Auriaprottu, Gunner and IvanIV repped this.
  24. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. Congrats.

yossarian repped this.
  25. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Well I'll be dipped! Unbelievable scenes last night. Just incredible. Of course Josef had to score, right?

I'm hung over to beat the band but this headache is worth it!!

yossarian repped this.