MLS Cup 2017: Seattle at Toronto, Sat. 8 Dec., 4 pm EST

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Dec 4, 2017.

1. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    he makes $4,875,000 per year. I'd say that's good enough for Altidore

dbailey62 and TOAzer repped this.
  2. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    It's well past time to ban Seattle from the MLS cup, their style of play makes the game tedious and unwatchable.

Kejsare and RfrancisR repped this.
  3. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Seattle came out with their most offensive lineup. But TFC shut them down and created all kinds of chances for themselves. I would find that entertaining if I was a neutral.

Not sure why you are bitching about their style of play when you never saw it in this game because TFC just shut them down.

If you watched the games previous Seattle was attacking their opponent's and scoring goals.

4. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game was not close to the unwatchable borefest that was last year's MLS Cup. It wasn't the best overall game as Seattle pretty much had nothing, but TFC played good football and it wasn't like they were trying to break a bunker the whole time.

TFC shut Seattle down, simple as that. They were by far the superior side in the game and without Frei and with a bit better polish in the final third this game could have been really ugly on the scoresheet for Seattle.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You're not going to win any contests putting any part of the country (and that place that exists within a country that shouldn't exist) against another especially when up against someone of my shade.

6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    "O Canada no more"

Who knew espn lurked on Bigsoccer?

crazypete13 repped this.
  7. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    The Crew was far more of a challenge than Seattle. Meram's poor touches and finishing and the other Crew player's missed open net late in game two were the difference. Seattle by comparison was a cakewalk.

8. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think Schmetzer was a bit naive in his tactics. He thought Seattle was good enough to impose their will on TFC. Turned out to be false. Certainly not at BMO Field where TFC is pretty much unbeatable. Maybe TFC was playing a bit of possum not being so good prior to the final and Seattle got a bit too overconfident.

NYRB proved how you can beat TFC at BMO Field by man marking the hell out of Bradley and take away space for him to pass. It might be an uglier game, but at least you give yourself a chance to win. Ozzie Alonso was sorely missed, as Roldan and Svensson sucked and Seattle midfield was completely neutralized by Bradley playing like man possessed, but with Marky Delgado and Jonathan Osorio supporting Bradley well defensively.

Then there was putting in Rodriguez at the expense of Nouhou and putting Joevin Jones at LB. TFC fell on the flanks and fully used all the space Seattle was giving them.

You gotta be realistic esp when you're playing away. Except for Super Stefan Frei, the game would have been over by half time.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    * First thought: this is a less-friendly version of the thread than I hoped/expected it would be. Going forward, please revert to the norm.

* I missed the game live due to graduation - same as last year - but this time I watched the whole thing as opposed to using the FF button. This was a fun game throughout.

* A tip of the hat to the faculty member who came to graduation wearing her Sounders scarf over her doctoral regalia. And under her robe, a Sounders jersey.

* The weather didn't seem to impact the game at all.

* Congratulations to TFC and its fans. I am disappointed in one thing: at least one 2007 seat cushion should have been flung onto the field to bookend the ten years from first goal to first championship.

superdave, Len, ayers and 5 others repped this.
  10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well the jersey from year one made by NEE was used for the TIFO and it caught fire from the flares so it went out in flames of glory and symbolically ended just like all those losing seasons it had seen since it first went up in year one by the time the final whistle blew.

ayers, crazypete13, Gamecock14 and 2 others repped this.
  11. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ratings where up this year.

Len, RfrancisR, EvilTree and 1 other person repped this.
  12. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Pretty cool. Move the screen around and watch the crowd go apeshit after the goal

Len, GoodDead and Just Offside repped this.
  13. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    I have never, in my life, rooted for a Canadian team over an American team, except yestersday evening, and specifically for this reason. There bunker defense is not only cynical, but also is basically a big FU to those of us who tune into soccer because it is a beautiful game. They deserved to lose that game. I cheered for Toronto all the way, and I am a neutral.

Beerking repped this.
  14. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Academic regalia and Soccer regalia as a compare and contrast essay for a precocious undergrad might be a good shout.

15. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Len and RafaLarios repped this.
  16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    They didb't bunker, they just got played off the field.

Vanney's bulletin board quote turned out to be dead-on. Seattle rolled through the Western Conference playoffs partially because the Western Conference wasn't very good. TFC by contrast took their lumps against NYRB and Columbus, and it made them stronger.

Yeah, game was defined by this stat (courtesy of Steve Davis)
    Total Defensive Actions (interceptions, tackles, duels won, etc):
    Michael Bradley -- 28
    Svensson + Roldan combined -- 23

17. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Tigres son reyes de CONCACAF.

18. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    For now.

19. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  20. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    crazypete13 and Deleted User x repped this.
  21. batman54

batman54 Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Toronto
    I had TFC seasons tickets in the 2nd row in the RPB corner for first 6 years.

Your seat cushion comment brought a smile to my face.

My wife joined me at that game.

When DIchio scored, we all threw our cushions, but a cop handed my wife's back to her, thinking she'd want it.

She proceeded to just throw it again!

Even the cop broke out laughing.

That whole thing was a lifetime memory moment.

Len, ayers, PTFC in KCMO and 6 others repped this.
  22. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Probably the most exciting 3 min highlight vid I've seen. And I don't speak a lick of Spanish, except dos cervezas por favor.

23. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I also used to be a one phrase Spanish speaker.....but if that is your phrase (as it was mine) sooner or later you need to learn:

dónde está el baño de hombres?

24. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    RfrancisR repped this.
  25. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My fave drunk TFC moment was Oso today.

Given the lack of GO Trains to Brampton.....he is hardly the first still drinking but drunk 20 something from Brampton on a bus in DT Toronto....but he may be the first on national TV.