MLS coaches (current and potential) and coaching thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Aug 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

I can't believe this guy has a job coaching in MLS

Poll closed Sep 30, 2018.
  1. Veljko Paunović

12.0%
  2. Gregg Berhalter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ben Olsen

23.1%
  4. Mauro Biello

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jay Heaps

13.7%
  6. Patrick Vieira

2.6%
  7. Jesse Marsch

0.9%
  8. Jason Kreis

4.3%
  9. Jim Curtin

15.4%
  10. Greg Vanney

0.9%
  11. Óscar Pareja

1.7%
  12. Wilmer Cabrera

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Sigi Schmid

5.1%
  14. Adrian Heath

10.3%
  15. Caleb Porter

0.9%
  16. Mike Petke

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Chris Leitch

2.6%
  18. Brian Schmetzer

0.9%
  19. Peter Vermes

1.7%
  20. Carl Robinson

4.3%
  1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'll grant you the former, but I'm not sure I agree with the latter - unless you insert "Ben Olsen to do" between "expect" and "with".

sitruc repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to push back on that... that was the case for a while, but over the last year they've been adding talent, and the players just look worse under Ben Olsen. Paul Arriola looked poised to be a national team regular for the next half dozen years, he went to DC and a few months later he looks somewhat mediocre. Yamil Asad looked great for Atlanta, DC acquires him and it already looks like he's starting to regress. At some point you have to stop making the same old excuses and blame the coach, because it's his job to coach these guys.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lee Nguyen was one of the most productive Americans in MLS, now he's not making the 18. Kelyn Rowe was finally starting to get a shot with the USMNT and looking decent, so far he has like 150 minutes....

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #504 jaykoz3, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    In fairness, outside of the first game of the season the Revs have been playing much better so far this season. I know it doesn't fit your narrative, but the Revs are at least passing the eye test so far in the 2018 season.

Yamil Asad was playing alongside Josef Martinez, Villabba, and Almiron last season. That's quite a different setup, not to mention loads more talent then DC United has. Asad wasn't signed by Atlanta to be the star of the show, he was a complimentary piece of the puzzle. In DC he's being asked to be a star player. That's a different role for him.

Olsen certainly deserves criticism. It also shouldn't be downplayed that he's been coaching with a losing hand since he came into the league. Olsen routinely has shown he can get results with a far below average talent wise team then most coaches could be expected to.

This argument happens all the time amongst Union fans in regards to Curtin. Any coach who is charge of the Union, DC United, the Revs, & the Rapids are going to have a tough job to do. These teams simply don't spend the money on players that the other teams in the league are. They don't have the scouting resources that other teams have. These teams are going into gun fights with nothing but their bare knuckles. Curtin has even admitted this multiple times. He routinely says that the Union need to play near perfectly every game to have a chance to win. That's just not realistic.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll counter with my opinion that I don't think Arriola is that good. Very one-dimensional and not strong enough. He's a better Liga MX player than he is an MLS player.

Asad has 2 goals and an assist in 5 games. That's pretty good.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Ben Olsen. ******** that guy. But D.C. really hasn't given him much to work with, historically.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben Olsen, somehow, is the 2nd longest tenured coach in MLS. He's been in his job almost a decade. He's gone through dozens, maybe over a hundred, of different players, presumably with some say in who is brought in. Yet his record has been consistently horrendous.

Like Heaps and Mastroeni before him, it is past time for a change. Not that I personally mind DCU being a bad team, of course...

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sure, totally agree. I just don't think whoever replaces him will do any better without huge investment in the playing squad. And given that the DC ownership seems to be building up the infrastructure of the club to improve its value in a sale while aggressively neglecting the team itself, I don't expect that to be the case.

Long may the bad D.C. teams reign.

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that time, he's been the coach for DC in three of the worst seasons in MLS history (not saying these are the four worst seasons, but all are among them):

Oh and as for why he hasn't done a better job with players in that period, the quote above showing his attitude towards player development could be part of the reason...

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke's seat getting warmer? Another lifeless performance from the claret and cobalt tonight....

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #510 xbhaskarx, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Saturday a "must win?" Not quite, says Olsen

The eighth-year boss admits things have been “moody” on East Capitol Street following United’s 0-3-2 start to the season.
    he says it’s crucial to channel those emotions into what is the most important match of the season so far.
    He bristled, though, at the idea of calling just the sixth of 34 D.C. matches on the league a “must-win” encounter.

With recent reports of new ownership, a potential massive infusion of cash and planned acquisitionof two Designated Players in the secondary transfer window, a D.C. may have much better attacking options for most of the season’s second half. ​

With a new owner about to come in, surely Olsen's days will be numbered...

Although I was reading the DC board and it doesn't seem like he does much coaching in any case:

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Javier Morales has officially retired...

If he's interested in coaching, some MLS team should give him a shot (say if FC Dallas were to finally start a USL team), he could be another Guillermo Barros Schelotto.

Todorojo repped this.
  12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids have 9 goals from 5 games. It has been 12 years (2006) since they last accomplished this feat.

985926731495161857 is not a valid tweet id

Who would have guessed Hudson and Friedel would be having the most success of the new MLS coaches so far...

Just Offside and JasonMa repped this.
  13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Revs have gotten off to a good start (thanks to playing 2 games against 10-man teams), which is a nice unexpected surprise, but the storm clouds are on the horizon, and it's not going to be rosy for long if he doesn't figure out what to do about Lee Nguyen. Lee is a total bum, since he can't even get into the 18, and Friedel said that Zachary Herivieux (who?) is ahead of him on the depth chart at #10, behind Fagundez.

Nguyen asked fr a trade at the start of 2017 and they have refused to move him. As a fan, I'd hate to see a player like him go, but considering the quality of some guys who moved in the off season (Nagbe, Klejstan, Miram, etc.) the Revs probably could have gotten comparable value had they been willing to move him. Instead, they are turning down offers for $750k, and in the summer window, they will be lucky to get $500k.

But that's why Mikey-Mike Buns is smarter than the average highway bridge support, playing checkers when everyone else is playing 3-D chess and 4-5 steps ahead of everyone else.

Namrog The Just repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely destroying the career of one of the best Americans in MLS will help Friedel and the Revs attract other stars in the future...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...g-be-positive-status-revolution-remains-limbo

Seven weeks into the 2018 season, Lee Nguyen has at long last publicly commented on his trade request from the New England Revolution.

The 31-year-old midfielder, who put up 11 goals and 15 assists last season, maintained that he hopes to move within MLS to another club. Nguyen confirmed he’s under contract through 2018 in New England with options for 2019 and 2020, and is also open to playing outside MLS.

“As a soccer player, as an athlete, you always have to keep an open mind,” Nguyen said. “But at the same time, I’m here, I have a contract for this year and possibly for two more. Whatever happens, I’m open-minded to wherever the soccer journey leads me.”

The Texas native added that he’s shown that he’s “one of the best attacking midfielders in this country and this league” since arriving in MLS in 2012. And he certainly has the numbers to back up that claim. His 100 goals and assists are the sixth-most in MLS since 2012.

However, there’s also the matter of Nguyen’s relationship with Brad Friedel. After showing up three weeks late to preseason camp, the first-year head coach said Nguyen’s exclusion was initially a matter of returning to fitness. With that portion accomplished, Friedel stressed his handling of the 2014 MVP finalist isn’t punitive, even though Nguyen has yet to even make an 18-man gameday roster through six matches.

“I have no issue with Lee,” Friedel said. “We haven’t had one personal back and forth with each other at all. I haven’t punished a player here once. That’s not what it’s about. It’s about getting a player’s fitness up and playing committed players.”

These latest comments come after Taylor Twellman reported last Sunday that the Revs turned down a trade offer of $750,000 in allocation money from an Eastern Conference team. Nguyen said he saw that report, but didn’t comment further.​

Namrog The Just repped this.
  15. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors of Patrick Vieira to Arsenal getting heavy.

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Talk about a win-win for me.

AndyMead, NeilB, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a big debate on the DC forums.

My own belief is that the players are bad, but Olsen is the bigger negative. In particular, I argue that one reason the roster is bad is that Olsen is THE WORST at developing players. Outside of Hamid, who was coached by the GK coaches, Olsen's players make marginal improvements at best. Deleon could be decent, but he isn't. He's no smarter than he was as a rookie, he's just gotten fat and complacent. Birnbaum made some minor improvements his first 2-3 year, but that's it. Pontius never got better.

Chris Korb turned into a very good outside back on the defensive side, but that's about it, at least that I can think of off the top of my head.

In other words, Olsen is, in my opinion, a key reason the roster sucks.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ArsenalMetro repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whitecaps fans not too happy with how things are going under Robinson....

987722432805945346 is not a valid tweet id

Sachsen repped this.
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the other end of the spectrum Bob Bradley now has 4 wins in LAFC's first 6 games (all on the road), and that should have been 5 of 6 if their defense could hold a 3-0 lead...

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly shut out for the 4th time in 6 games

23. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Union are committed to the 4-2-3-1 formation. No one knows if that is Curtin's decision or Earnie Stewart's. Curtin either has no idea how to coach that formation or he can not persuade his players to do what should be done. On the other side, Stewart has been horrible in bringing in players that fit that formation. Fire them both.

24. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't matter, every Philly fan would be pleasantly shocked if Curtin is let go during the season. It's very unlikely to happen. Plus, what coach is going to want to take over this roster? Can't make Filet Mignon with ground up dog shit.

25. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if Stewart takes the US TD job than the next Union GM will probably can Curtin.