MLS Championship Parades...

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Unak78, Mar 4, 2017.

?

How important are victory parades in the evolution of MLS and soccer in the public eye?

1. Highly important

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. Somewhat important. More of an effect of rising support than a cause.

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. It won't matter either way.

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I'm just off-camera bottom left..

Unak78 repped this.
  2. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    That could have been me. I don't believe that you were there. Pics or it didn't happen... ;)

JasonMa repped this.
  3. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #28 Unak78, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    So would it be a good bet to say that right now LAFC would be more likely to throw a successful parade than the Galaxy or is the profile of the Galaxy helped by LAFC's existence to enough of a degree that it would be able to have a successful public celebration? I think it would be more embarrassing for the league were it's most successful franchise with Zlatan and GBS to have to hide in it's own ground in order to celebrate another title.

But I agree with your point and this is why I think that the early attempts at parades and public rallys went away in the early decade before the more recent trend for parades. MLS may have pushed for it or owners, who knows, but there was real fear of looking bad during a point where the league was pointing to their attendances and growing ownerships as a plus.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I named clubs that are in suburbs, but I don't know if being in a city or suburb matters. I can't evaluate how many fans would come and what local officials would think.

Unak78 repped this.
  5. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Well for you being in NY, has the profile of the Red Bulls gone up any since NYCFC moved into the city? That would be a good insight into whether or not the same thing was happening in LA. I have family in NYC, but I haven't had opportunity to ask.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I don't read city newspapers. I live in a suburb and my parents drive through New York City but rarely go anywhere in it. I saw Israel beat Honduras on June 3, 2013 at CitiField where the Mets play. Other people would say my family is wasting property taxes to live where we are and not use New York City.

7. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Here is my take on this. A parade is the only time we as fans get to celebrate a championship! We don’t get a ring for spending every weekend supporting our team. We get, if we purchase it, a hat or shirt. Parades are a way for fans to celebrate and participate in the celebration of a championship. Because with out us fans there would be no team.

Unak78 and Goodsport repped this.
  8. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think SKC and the city are full of sh*t! Think they would not have a parade if the Chiefs the Super Bowl. You know they would, so why would SKC be any different? Fu*k any city who would have a parade for their NFL, MLB,NBA, or NHL team but not for their MLS team!

Unak78 and don gagliardi repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Actually, when the Quakes last won the title in 2003, the fans did get a team-issued (plastic replica) championship ring the following season, but no civic parade devoted to the title. Instead, as I may have posted earlier, the team was crowded into an ersatz cable-car "float" in the annual San Jose Christmas Parade.

There was a championship party in the downtown San Jose Britannia Arms pub, where fans got to hang out with the players and coaches and get their photo taken with MLS Cup. It may have been sponsored by the fan booster club, rather than the team.

Goodsport repped this.
  10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #35 Goodsport, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    To expand on this: while the San Jose Earthquakes unfortunately didn't receive an actual parade for either their 2001 or 2003 MLS Cup wins, there was quite a difference between the two celebrations they did receive:

(I first posted the following here and here)

I remember this vividly as well. The team didn't even get a float in the parade that year - they were stuck on a single cablecar (but with wheels rather than on a track). When I saw that on Channel 11, I thought to myself, "How the heck does Bad Boys Bail Bonds rate a float (just ahead of the cablecar) but the 2003 MLS Cup Champions dont?".

This was in complete contrast to when the team won MLS Cup 2001, when it received a huge celebration in St. James Park afterward. A few weeks later, Earthquakes GK Joe Cannon and CyberRays (who had won the WUSA Founders Cup that same year) GK LaKeysia Beene were the grandmarshalls, or at least honored guests, in the San Jose Christmas Parade.

Which leads me to believe that it was at least as much the owners of the Quakes at the time of each championship as it was City Hall or anyone else, most likely even moreso. After winning MLS Cup 2001, SVS&E was letting a lot of people (including the local media) know about it, which I'm sure they would've continued to do long into the next season had the San Jose Sharks not gone through an ownership change the following year that caused AEG to step in to co-run the team in early-2002 during the Sharks' ownership transition.

In contrast, the treatment The Boys in Blue got from their ownership after MLS Cup 2003 reflected Philip Anchutz's despondent look in the background of the Cup's trophy celebration: a public show of general apathy (a team appearance at a San Jose Sharks pregame ceremony as they did in 2001 notwithstanding), a cablecar lost among the floats in the parade, and a clandestine attempt at selling the Quakes to a team that had full plans to strip away the San Jose Earthquakes' brand and identity (thanks to Dylan Hernandez for uncovering that in time).

Point is, it's as much a team's ownership and, more particularly, its Advertising, Marketing, Public Relations and Ticketing departments, to get on the ball to contact the proper people to get the word out of the team's existence and accomplishments.

AEG neglected the San Jose Earthquakes and its fanbase, but thus far it doesn't look like Lew Wolff will make that same mistake. After all, the office-opening party held earlier this month was bigger than anything AEG ever put together for Earthquakes fans (other than the Shake with the Quakes events, an annual tradition which was already in place long before AEG started running the Quakes).

To be fair, there was a large celebration in St. James Park celebrating the San Jose Earthquakes' MLS Cup 2001 win. Of course, that was a few months before AEG had anything to do with the Earthquakes. Joe Cannon and CyberRays GK LaKeisha Beene were also Grandmarshalls of the San José Christmas Parade a month later.

On the other hand, the only public acknowledgement of the Quakes' MLS Cup 2003 win was in a single trolley car in the San José Christmas Parade later that year, just behind the large Bad Boys Bail Bonds float. :rolleyes:

The ownership makes all the difference in the world. And unlike in 2003, we seem to have a good one now. :)

-G

Unak78 repped this.
  11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri certainly would for the Chiefs, but would Kansas City, Kansas have one for SKC? ;)

:thumbsup:

-G

12. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    One can't really blame AEG I guess, they were operating most of the league at that time so it was all that they could do just to keep their struggling charges alive. Getting the word out was a luxery. But as they began to offload their interests in the other clubs across the league, including the club that they were the original owners of in the Colorado Rapids, and decided to consolidate behind the marquee side LA Galaxy they were slow to adapt their methods of marketing as other newer sides began to show the future of this league. There is no reason that a side with the consistency of support, success and existing in the most fertile market talent-wise in the nation shouldn't be currently wondering how to expand their ground to 30k+ due to demand.

Slowly the older markets in MLS are evolving. SKC has found new life, as well as DC, and Columbus looks like it will soon be on the same path. One can only hope that the likes of Chicago, Dallas, New England, and Colorado can find ways to spark a similar renaissance.