MLS CANADA and Other Clubs

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Scorpion26, Jan 31, 2013.

1. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That is exactly what the MLS clubs in Canada will have. The reason why the CSA will santion the USL Pro clubs in Canada that are part of the MLS club's sytem.
    An NASL Canadian division would take more time to secure more franchises in different cities. There are quite a few perfect sized cities that are missing the stadium needed to get a club going. Hamilton the only one on tap because of the stadium and the population of soccer withing southern Ontario.
    Winnipeg has the stadium but do they have the soccer support needed. The NASL is not going to accept a new franchise anymore with a venue like FCE started with. It was only a few years ago but times have changed quickly. Clubs like FCE and Tampa are now pushing to improve on their current locations and they have done so in a very short time frame. Better Pitch and better and more seating options as well as other upgrades being called for.
    3 USL Pro Clubs will fill the immediate need for pro clubs in Canada. An NASL Canadian Division is a future and their own league likely not. MLS clubs will not leave the MLS and their USL Pro clubs will stay within the MLS framework.
    I dont think that anyone can ask for having 9 pro clubs with 3 in each division a very great possibility by 2016-2017.:thumbsup:

2. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes it's great a situation for Canada more places to play for developing the youngsters.

Am I wrong to believe the addition of Bradley could have hindered the progress of Bekker and Osorio this year. Maybe even more at fault was Nelsen usage of the players and wrong formation. I watched TFC game and I believe Bekker played well in truth he should of had more playing time this season. I do hope he gets it towards the final stretch of the season. Same with Morgan want to see them playing more.

3. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    this was not great for Toronto or Montreal this year they need to rebuild or find some kind of trade that will help for next season based on their teams need. I would hope to see more Canadian players brought into the team either from Europe who are not playing or from the Academy's.
    I hope Vancouver makes it to the playoffs at least one Canadian Club will be in it and maybe they could go into the playoffs.

I want to see hutchinson brought into this league he is a player that I would love to see play in MLS. Same with Occéan he would be a good addition to Montreal.

And of course I am excited for the USL clubs for next season more playing time for the youngsters and future players for mls clubs and country.

4. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If TFC sell J.Defoe there's a possibility that Hutchinson might be able to join this team. This would be a great addition to the team and an actual Canadian star will be joining MLS. Hope this can be come a reality.

5. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Current rumours have Hutch bound for West Ham, if he stands a chance of going there, very doubtful he'll come to TFC. I can't see any self respecting player wanting to be part of the TFC sh*t show if they have other options.

6. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That would be nice but can't want to see him in MLS.

7. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  8. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montreal Impact, Toronto FC, and Vancouver Whitecaps are in MLS only 2 Canadians actually played last week for these team. About 4 Canadians played this weekend for Canadian MLS clubs this is a low number no doubt but at least an increase with just two clubs playing this weekend honestly. Could of been higher had Montreal played maybe. Wonder how many Canadians will see the field next week with just VW and MI playing, but the week after all three clubs will be playing.

In NASL we got FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury getting reading for there season. Also hoping that some of these players do get a chance to play for Canada if they prove themselves throughout this year in the league and tournaments their team might be involved with.

USL got FC Montreal, TFC2, and VW2 which all three clubs have stated to have mainly Canadian youngsters playing for the upcoming season. I am not looking for trophies from the clubs but if it happens great the goal to me is to developed these players into future starters, and possible stars for this club in the future. Hope they are allowed to play give them the freedom to just go out there to showcase what they have learned from the academies and are allowed to make mistakes for them to learn from.

Would also like to see NASL and USL start a bit earlier too.

Also Don Garber in an interview mentioned how he wants to help the CSA improve its national team, but yes we have not see any of these come to fruition. Yes we can not count on MLS/USA to 100% help Canada but something within that league needs to find some way to have more Canadian playing in the USA team. In the end it is also CSA to figure out to unite a divided soccer landscape in the country. Which is going on now and will take time let see how they go about this year to year.

To conclude good to see some youngsters getting the chance to prove themselves and Canada ranking up in FIFA rankings. It will be a long hard road for Canadian growth and WC berth.

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

I agree to especially two points you made. First the NASL and USL starting earlier. This may not come as an official thing but with now two NASL and all 3 MLS clubs having Canadian USL sides. Canadian Clubs could take it upon themseles to do so with crossing over in leagues for matches before the official start of their respectie seasons.

I like what Ottawa had done by plaiyng both Toronto FC II and Rochester. Not part of their reglar season scedule but eing the last two matces before the season could be treated as somewhat of a rgular season match with clubs in their region with USL being affilated fully with Most either be owned by MLS side or a much different affilate to what was in the past and begining to faise out more. A co owned type situation seeing the USL side as an MLS true minor league side with staffing and coaching along with players being rostered for the MLS club with the co owner marketing and promoting