MLS CANADA and Other Clubs

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Scorpion26, Jan 31, 2013.

1. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Could be a good oppurritunity for the Fury to pounce on the young Canadian

Polygong repped this.
  2. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Or even FCE... Just hope he can catch on somewhere...

3. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    FCE is a possibility also but I thought Ottawa first as they are still building there roster. a 22 year old Canadian MLS draft pick is exactly the kind of players that Ottawa will be looking out to fill their roster.
    His release was just simply a numbers problem just not enough MLS roster spots for Canadian young players with the rules as they are. Ottawa could build half their roster with similar players from Canada

4. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    There are no rules the limit the number of Canadian players on Canadian MLS teams. So his release by TFC was something of a numbers game but his nationality was not an issue.

I, too, would like to see him land with Ottawa or Edmonton.

5. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I realize that there is no limit and Canadian MLS clubs do carry just over the minimum but with many other options of players from US or international there is no incentive to keep extra Canadian players if better players can be signed.
    That is the biggest issue that the Canadian National teams are having IMHO. So the more pro teams whether NASL or USL Pro to affilate with the MLS clubs they are more likley to carry rosters of many more Canadian players where they will get more of a chance to play and provet themselves

6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    My point was that the MLS teams already have junior squads. If they transfer those teams from one league (say the CSL) to another (USLPro) it doesn't change the number of spots available to young Canadians - it just moves the league those spots are in. On the other hand, if Hamilton starts an NASL team it means 20 additional roster spots.

7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I see your point and an NASL franchise would be preferred. The reality is though that one the CSL is more of a semi pro league. Also every MLS team will need a USL Pro franchise by 2015 and the level of play in the USL Pro is and will be much much better than the CSL. The reality would be that while NASL would be preferred it is going to be easier to get USL Pro teams up and running within a year do to the MLS mandate for the 3 MLS Canadian sides.
    I would not think that a city or ownership group would look to place a USL Pro team in a Canadian city unless they are affiliated with the 3 MLS sides
    Both Toronto and Vancouver, IMHO, affiliated with the two US USLPro teams on a temp basis as plans for a side closer and in Canada can be put into place over the next season

8. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    NASL San Antonio Scorpians just hosted FC Dallas in the MLS clubs last pre season game before the seaso to great success with a sellout crowd.
    Next season with TD Place in Ottawa being fully functional and Clarke Field in Edmonton hopefully with the new Turf with no football lines when used as a soccer pitch the same should become annual events in those regions as well.
    Montreal at TD Place vs the Fury and Vancouver at Clarke field vs FCE. Both games should be televised on one of either leagues broadcast partners as well as the game in Texas had only a poor live stream of the game.

9. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    MLS is back great to see amd now the countdown for NYCFC and OSC starts also. Vancouver beat NYRB and Montreal loss to FCD. Well next week TFC plays Seattle which will get tons of hype.

10. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How close is Montreal to signing Olivier Occéan? anything new

11. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    I've heard nothing since the "we're interested" comment in early July.

12. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rumors are Nelsen will no longer be coaching TFC. Conference at 4pm and I for one am not against it but should of been done after the season let him finish it out.

I'm hoping to see one of college Canadian coaches be considered for the job after the season is over. Forget there name and yes may not work out but give them a chance.

13. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And he's out!

Too bad they hired an American, Vanney, as the new head coach. I too would hope for a Canadian to be given a chance coaching TFC.

Dafoe may be going as well.

14. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would trade M.Bradley to either NYCFC or OSC for a first round pick. Trade Defoe also to teams like Chivas USA, Colorado, and such. If Larin joins the MLS you draft him first pick and you got three good forward. Vanney got interim tag so come off season look at the two top successful Canadian coach and convince them of the ideals of this team now and its future goals.

15. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Unfortunately he seems to be the permanent coach going forward according to TSN :

"General manager Tim Bezbatchenko has stated that Vanney will be the head coach moving forward and that the move does not come with an "interim" tag."

Hope Bradley goes as well, never thought he fit with TFC.

Looks like only NASL's FC Edmonton is performing well out of Canada's major teams at the moment, they got they're 3rd win in a row today against top of the table Minnesota United and are 3 points out of qualifying for a spot in NASL's "The Championship" for Soccer Bowl 2014.

16. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I hope it is an interim tag but maybe Vanney could come good. I honestly feel any Canadian MLS team should not have an American star but our own or a foreign star. I support USA but a Canadian MLS teams have its own hero from Canada really like Hutchinson. Feel like Bradley took the spot of Osorio and Bekker made worse by adding Warner into the team. I do believe the Canadian core in TFC can help build a successful team and Montreal has it also but Vancouver not so much although they could surprise us. Hutchinson, Occéan, De Jong, and even some youngsters should be heavily targeted to join these teams. Tired of seeing players in d3 leagues or lower and heck even top league or d2 leagues with no play time at all or barely at all. This can happen if they actually think about it.

17. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    I can't speak for Hutchinson, but I can say when I spoke to him last he wanted to play in England and an English Championship team with potential for promotion to the Premiership is a lot more attractive than a Canadian MLS team who will argue to pay him less than DP wages.

Additionally, we all know Defensive DP's are rarely worth the money (Marquez, De Guzman etc.).

18. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well maybe time will change his views and he would consider joining MLS.

19. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I encourage you to read what you wrote here and see if, upon sober reflection, you still seriously advocate trading Bradley for a draft pick. (Hint: Even if you do want to get rid of Bradley for some reason, consider whether the most you could get for him would be a draft pick.)

20. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Bradley is an extremely valuable commodity in the MLS. being a USMT star and captain his name carries a lot of weight for marketing. A US club would love to have him in their city for that reason, not to mention he is also a top talent.
    It is kind of interesting that he did sign with a Canadian club but TFC had the resources to make him an offer he could not refuse.
    He wanted to get back home and play on home soil but being in North America and in the MLS in one of the two English primary language MLS cities in Canada is also a good situation for him personally.

21. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah I meant it or I wouldn't of posted it. Though I did not mention it previously but the whole reason to trade him coincide with signing Hutchinson really.

22. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montréal and Toronto will join Vancouver in adding clubs in the USL. The CSA will sanction the teams if a majority of the players are Canadians. Which does make sense and should help bring along the young players for all three clubs.

FC Montréal one name for sure.

2015 looking good.

Rumors also NASL might not establish an all Canadian division.

23. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Would Milan Borjan be able to sign with an MLS club most likely a Canadian club?
    He has not sign with a team and mls could be a good place for him to play at for a few years or longer.

24. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    He's a lot better than Bendik of TFC and I believe he can sign until the roster freeze occurs.

25. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah TFC would be a nice spot for him or even Montréal.