MLS All Stars - Whose Stock Rose?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SamsArmySam, Aug 4, 2002.

1. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    So the All Star Game has come and gone. Who on the MLS side played themselves into contention for a USMNT camp call-up and a shot at time in an upcoming friendly (whenever that might be)?

Discuss.

2. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    no one. Not in this game. The weather conditions and the desire to avoid injury inherent in such a game combined to prevent anyone from standing out.

3. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They players certainly seemed to want to play a competitive match but the weather and the pitch killed that. Also, I didn't particularly need to see all of the former Nats in the Nats team but I understand that it was their farewell game and we have to/should honor them. A Tab, Harkes or Waldo would have been easier to watch than a Burns or whoever.

Nevertheless, Pablo and Ralston stood out to me.

4. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Still, I thought Maisonneuve was quite impressive. I know he is around 29 years old and has had injuries, but he could definately be useful in qualifying.

5. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i thought mais played a very good game...

6. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Chris Klein.

7. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    You're right. Klein looked good.

Is Dema Kovalenko awaiting citizenship?
    After his performance yesterday, I think he played himself out of a shot at the Nats.

I thought Pablo played like a thug.

8. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Good. We need one.

9. Go2NY

Go2NY New Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Croton-on-Hudson NY
    Still USA Play Worthy

Kreiss, Ralston,Klein, Maiseneuve, Deering did very nice work...

Meanwhile, check out the Ajax website, O'Brien played an outstanding game v. Man U, and plays Barcelona and Parma next few days...

10. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    It was a meaningless exhibition, therefore it can not be read in to as a professional match or opportunity.

11. wunderkid

wunderkid New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Chicago

12. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    I generally agree, but Klein absolutely manhandled Beasley not once, not twice, but three times. The guy is a real nice combination of size and skill and he showed a bit of that yesterday. He certainly deserves a serious look.

13. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    My beagle could "absolutely manhandle" DMB, especially in an all-star game when he doesn't know it's coming.

15. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I think the slide tackle played him off the team. NOt b/cit was DMB, but because he obviously doesn't have a great deal of presence of mind. If he did that in a big qualifieer, he'd get a red card. If you were Bruce, would you let your career ride on a player like that,especially when you have at least equal options.

Klein looked good. I thought Suarez looked fairly good b/f the injury. IT was Maiz's best game in a Nats kit in a long time.

16. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mais looked great, consistently dangerous. Also, I know we've got a glut at keeper, but I thought Joe Cannon helped himself, whereas Juergen Sommer showed why he hasn't had a callup in several years.

17. wunderkid

wunderkid New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Chicago
    Well then he should say, that stupid slide tackle in an ALL STAR took him out of contention not his play...he wrote "After his performance." He never said anything about the slide tackle and you're making an assumption on his behalf...of course it was stupid...but did Hejduk's reckless challenge in Costa Rica near the penalty area play him off the squad?

Mastroeni also pulled down a few players, unnecessarily...sure it is far less severe, but it's still ridiculous to do.

Sure one is an All-Star game, no excuse for that kind of play, and the other was a WC Qualifier...Dema is a complete hot-head, even though he has simmered down a little over the years, if Bruce doesnt know this by now, he doesnt really pay attention.

18. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Hejduk's challenge against a member of his club team as well as the National team that Dema is interested in playing for?

It's not as much the challenge as it is the mind set that he must have been in.

19. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    You cant determine this after one measly game. BUT

Stock rose: Klien, Kries, Ralston
    Stock dropped: Paulina Rubio

I thought the Men of the Match were Etchevvery and Cobi Jones.

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Ryan Suarez & Tim Howard.

21. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    Did Petke get beat again?

By Cobi?

22. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Petke is in a constant state of "Beat".

23. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I thought that Mais played well, but he's probably done.

Ralston did well.

Petke is a joke.

I wish Twellman got an opportunity to show what he can do.

24. Giggsy

Giggsy New Member

Mar 23, 2002
    Twin Cities
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suarez was a very poised and athletic defender with no fear of DMB or Donovan. He really impressed me in the few minutes he had before the injury.

25. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Although you can't take much of anything from this match El Diablo and DMB impressed me the most. It's too bad we couldn't see Twellman score a few goals and play instead of the whining and diving Graziani.

Whose stock rose?

The field crew. ;)