PBP: MLS All-Stars vs. Man Utd[R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to go back to East vs. West.

Great ad for the BPL, though. And a reminder of where the Nats should be looking for players.

2. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS All Stars have beaten Chelsea before and lost to Man U last year 5-2.

I know Man U is good, but losing to them in the preseason by 4 goals isn't good at all.

3. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see the Chelsea game but I think they're playing much better than last season's game.

4. realUSpride

realUSpride Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice commitment to a 4-3-3, played well with foreign players, not so well with domestic.

Good stuff considering MLS is still a growing league. Also USSF has been vocal (Claudio Reyna & that jazz) about moving to a 4-3-3, during halftime The commentators thought it'd be best to win to switch to a 4-4-2. I say Bollocks, they were only behind in the first half by finishing. Got to commit to the long term plan. Also the 4-3-3 looked good in the first half, sadly it was thanks to a Frenchman, a Mexican, a Jamaican, and a Brit. It'll be a grand day when an entirely American team can run a 4-3-3 against the likes of Manchester United.

This game has been entirely within my expectations.

5. AEK21

AEK21 Member

Jul 23, 2009
    ESPN's criticism of Bakke right now is more scathing than anything they've said about Bob in the last 1+ cycles.

6. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On through balls like that its the passer you have to watch. Ream plays off Rooney, allowing him to pick out a well timed Berbatov run. You have to disrupt the timing of the passer, so the recieving player has to hold there run, but on that play you see Berbatov get a clean 6 steps before the pass is made. Once he gets a running start like that you have to hope the pass is errant.

Ream has to make Rooney have to make a move to get that pass off. Those extra touches break the timing of the play.

7. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lions eat Christians.

8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Ream positioning was quite possibly the worst I have ever seen. I don't know what he was trying out there but he would constantly be at least 5 yards ahead of the rest of the back line and when he would stay back, he would not push up. Jeez what did Bob see in him? I am starting to think Ream's only good ability is his passing.

9. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC Man U started much more of a developmental team last year, whereas their starting lineup in this game was essentially their best 11. The MLS team gave them a pretty good test in the first half and were a bit unlucky to go into halftime down 2-0 instead of 1-0. In the end, superior talent won out. On several occasions Man U players made something out of nothing in a dangerous position. The MLS guys didn't do that.

While it is probably cool for the players and fans to see a team like Man U, I don't think it's good for the league. It just highlights the disparity between MLS and world class soccer, especially when you field a team of players who've scarcely played together at all.

10. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron still could have done something though, he was behind Berbatov when he got the ball and he just got burned.

11. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. Hope this surmise will now die. As it should have already.

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys need to let the score go. The team had two practices, and a huge amount of subs, the true question is how the starters played. The first 45 wasn't too bad (and the vast majority of critics out there are saying the All-Stars held their own, and may have looked better than Man U for the first 45 - Sir Alex agrees, and were unlucky about the 2-0).

I don't disagree with them. The cavalcade of subs started and the game degenerated. I'd still much rather watch this blow-out than a lame East vs West that means nothing. At least here I have the faint hope of watching how the All Stars play against international competition - MUCH more interesting. And I think for the players too.

Convey - can we please retire him from Nats discussions? Forever? Please?

Ream - I wrote this in the MLS thread, but his form is not good right now, and he needs to focus on improving it before coming back to the Nats. Bad passing, bad positioning tonight. Not gone forever, but he shouldn't be going to the USA/Mexico game. On form, that should now be Omar Gonzalez. I actually think Ream still has potential, but on form right now, Omar is the better choice (might be George John, but no idea if he is even on the US radar).

Cameron - pleasantly surprised. At fault on one goal, but still had a decent night at CB, where I guess he doesn't play for Houston.

Franklin - had a miserable night. And got shown up on Park's goal.

Agudelo - wish he had more than 10 minutes. Especially since Bravo played for 82.

Davis/Beckerman - solid players, but still on the fringes of the USMNT.

13. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a stopped start vs. running start, Berbatov was at a massive advantage. Thats why you break up the timing of the play, so that the player making the run isnt at such an advantage. And its not like it was a 1 or 2 step difference, Berbatov got a full 6 steps in before the pass was played.

By the time Cameron can get up to speed its already too late. And Cameron is a fast defender.

14. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

We can tie England with all their stars in a World Cup game but our All-Stars get beat 4 nil by Man U....

15. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because England sucks.

Man Utd > England

16. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Five of Man U's starting lineup are English, and it's up to debate that the other six are 'better' than the English starters. Don't forget Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, etc.

17. RiceBubble

RiceBubble Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as it does not involve penalty kicks... ;)

18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re-watched it and I still can't see how Ream really messed up on that play. Cameron catches up, but gets pushed off. Cameron was aware of Berbatov's run and catches up but he just gets pushed off. He was shoulder to shoulder.

Maybe Ream could have applied more pressure to Rooney but he would have made that pass regardless..it was just a simple ball over the top.

Anyway, I don't think we should take much from a game where most of the players have not played together..ever. Except some of the obvious gaffes.

I do think Ream needs to be better with his anticipation, but that will come with time...or maybe not.

19. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or get Barca and learn something new..why rehash last year's lesson?

20. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Cameron is obviously a better CB than Ream. He gets involved with the attack, has more speed, better in the air...if he works on his positioning he'll be a star there. Such a shame Houston can't keep him there, but we have needs elsewhere.

21. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lampard, Gerrard are not the players they used to be. Valencia, Nani are better than any English winger. Vidic > Terry. United forwards > > England crap with defoe, crouch etc.

How the 2nd-3rd best club team in the world isn't better then England? Idk that's your problem.

22. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Ream faced a decision that much better CBs have to go through when facing Rooney in that spot: get tight and possibly burned 1 v. 1 or play off and force Rooney to distribute. Both have +'s and -'s. Ream generally did ok on that play, not sure how can really put much blame on him. Cameron did fail to identify the run berbatov would make was slow to catch up and then was bodied off pretty easily.

23. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With regard to playing Rooney, thats the point really. If you have to play that far off to where you cant block the passing lane, you open that play up. Ream probably made the right decision for Tim Ream in that situation.. the problem is the right decision for Tim Ream leaves the gap open. The conclusion should be that Ream was over-matched.

Cameron is pretty much just toast there because Berbatov got such a large running start. I think he probably could have picked up the run a little sooner, but then again, most CBs who would have probably would have been burnt anyways, because they arent as fast as Cameron.

Anyways, my point is that on through balls like this, the big question isnt the position of the last man, but how the passer and runners are allowed to time the play so well.

24. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Lampard, Gerrard and co are still starting for world class teams and it's up to debate who's better between the players you mentioned. However, my mother is Ecuadorian and I'm glad you think Valencia is better than any English winger (I think so to!).

25. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    I disagree with much of your entire post. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.