MLS + Adidas: "Represent" Soccer Anthems

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by kindred, Aug 16, 2007.

1. SoccerScottWV

SoccerScottWV Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Charleston,WV,USA
    It sounded like all of the lyrics were written by some suit from the team FO. WOW those songs sucked. I will say that the Dallas song had some promise and Mike Jones is either a huge Dynamo fan or a giant sellout for recording that crap.

2. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was drinkin' that sizzurp!

3. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus, you guys are whiny. They could be the best songs in the world, and still nobody would sing them at games. Americans don't do that.

They're fun little songs that are tied in with certain teams. Boo fricking hoo.

WAH, I've never even heard of (insert fairly well-known band here)! Those cheap bastards at adidas are MONSTERS for trying to market MLS and their products with a project that's less than 100% world-changing! This crap isn't the White Album! What are they trying to pull?!?!?!?!

That, said, anyone know of a torrent or something? I originally was just going to listen to the Chicago and Houston ones, for OK Go and the "Mike Jones?!" factor (Who?), but the NY and KC ones are actually pretty catchy. Corny? Duh, it's a song about a sports team. But fun.

4. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of them really seemed to capture the voice of the region though. The RSL song made me think of New York, the Houston music made me think of Washington DC, the Columbus music made me think about zebras, but the LA song was very LA.

5. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good idea on addidas' and MLS' part. But, the final product comes across as somewhat of corny.

I think the idea about a fan writing a song is a good one. It seems much more genuine when the fans write a song about their team.

6. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    And how many MLS fans have done this so far? Fact is most MLS fans have neither the time nor musical talent, songwriting ability nor production experience necessary to produce a finished product better than what we've got from the artists.

BTW: As corny as some people think the Real Salt Lake song is, I kinda like it. I do think it needs to be remixed. It reminded me of the chorus in this song in a J-League highlight video from last year. If it had a kicking rock/dance beat and a bit more testosterone i'm sure you guys would love it.

[youtube]jvCTz8Dld8Q[/youtube]

7. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Houston's is very Houston. It's Crunk.
    DC's is very DC. You don't get more DC than Bad Brains.

Chicago should have got Lupe Fiasco. he's a Fire fan afterall.

The song they used is very much like a ripoff of the White Stripes 7 Nation Army.

8. bvolt3000

bvolt3000 New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Nashville
    yeah the artists could have put a LITTLE effort into these songs
    i love mike jones, rjd2, and the polyphonic spree, but cmon guys
    a little effort please

9. HTownSoccerGuy

Mar 29, 2005
    Houston, TX
  10. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, Mike Jones is so Houston it hurts.

11. szabo56

szabo56 New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Utah
    What the hell is MLS thinking? These team songs are downright pitiful!! Are we really this stupid as a society not to come up with songs and chants for our clubs that are better than these? I realize these songs aren't done by supporter groups but it's just some marketing campaign but I hope for embarassement sake MLS clubs won't play these songs at their home games. This is really pathetic. Another black eye for soccer in the United States in the mickey mouse league that is MLS

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, you can also listen to all the other MLS teams' anthems here (the page linked to in the first post of this thread has since changed and no longer contains the anthems).

-G

14. EAB206BLUES

EAB206BLUES Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're a Mickey Mouse Poster so I guess it evens out.

I think the Rapture, Mike Jones, and Kinky have the best songs out of the batch. Necessary? problably not but atleast they are getting local artist to promote their home teams and the songs are free for gods sake, what else did you expect? Maybe in the future they will get better artist who can create quality music.

15. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you're trying to support the idea so I hope this is a sarcastic statement. Kinky and The Rapture are both awesome bands.

16. Orange1836

Orange1836 don't believe the hype

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    Blackpool lights also rocks. or maybe just make me nostalgic for the Get Up Kids.

17. EAB206BLUES

EAB206BLUES Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapture is awesome, seen them live and they put on a hell of a good show. Yeah I think my comment came of wrong I was trying to say that maybe in later versions some of the people complaining will be please. I like the idea and can't wait for future versions and compolations.

18. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    bump.

Its the 10 year anniversary. (if anyone cares) :whistling:

19. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
  20. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines

R.I.P. 2005-2014