PBP: MLS 2019 Season Week 3 Game Thread (R)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think there is an argument that the "white kit" should not just be white with team color accents and a badge. The entire uproar over too many white kits seems stupid to me.

IIRC, only the teams that can sell a large number of third kits tend to have them.

JayRockers! repped this.
  2. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Talk to Adidas

3. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Well, it's my first game day here. I've made some resolutions:

1) I'm not going to grip about the announcers - they are what they are.
    2) I'm not going to comment on poor attendances - they aren't what they aren't.
    3) I'm not going to lose my mind over the constant "Team FC" or "FC Team" - it just is.

I've forgotten the others (I don't generally criticize refs, already), but if I can stick with the above three - I'm good.

EDIT: I see Chicago is testing me on resolution #2. Temptation, get thee behind me!

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  4. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    oh yeah, it was a joke. Though I feel bad for the couple people I played men's league with who worked for CF ticket sales today. The DGAF management isn't helping them at all.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league surely has final say over what the teams wear, not Adidas.

6. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Not so sure about that.
    Teams get very little input.

7. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's an Ownership and GM problem.

Ownership are just awful.

For how much the Fire claim to spend, NRod is just really bad at evaluating / making player decisions.

CMeszt and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  8. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    This should be easy to ignore, just like most people pay no attention to the "FC" in Manchester United, Arsenal etc. But MLS does seem to pretend it's an actual nickname.

9. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well, the strange thing is that the Sounders away unis normally are white with blue/green trim. Not sure why they're wearing black w/pink....has no relationship to the team colors.

10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must say that Jordan Morris has come back from his long term injury in impressive fashion. It seems he's take full advantage of that time not only to work on fitness but also to improve certain aspects of his game. In particular, willingness to take shots with his left and improved sense of place as to where other players are in the attacking box. If he keeps this up, Morris could be a very fine forward.

JasonMa, jaykoz3, mbar and 2 others repped this.
  11. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    My favorite for this ridiculousness is Maritimo in Portugal/Madeira this year:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to write the folks at Sounders HQ. When the only broadcast options are a Seattle-metro geolocked YouTube channel, and a Seattle-only Fox affiliate, it's pretty uncool to prevent those of us 250 miles away from accessing the game on MLSLive or DirectKick.

JasonMa, TOAzer and sitruc repped this.
  13. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    That's what I'm referring to; every time a team is referred to, there's this need for them to tack on the FC....or United.

But I'm just going to let...it...go.

Justin O repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was out at lunch with some people that went a little long after they delayed the time of what was supposed to be a brunch a few times. Eventually I left saying, "guys, it's incredibly rude of me to try to watch Chicago-Seattle on my phone right now and at least one poster on a message board has mentioned me. I need to go before I'm also missing Columbus-Dallas."

JasonMa, Len, Ismitje and 1 other person repped this.
  15. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah, I've never seen him as a USMNT starter, but he looks good enough this year that I won't be too mad if he gets lots of minutes in the Gold Cup. If nothing else, he looks like he can tear up CONCACAF competition.

16. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Time to move on from the minor leagues, Columbus vs Dallas happening now.

JayRockers! repped this.
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I own a Maritimo jersey, having lived in Funchal for half a year or so. Mine is from the late 90s but the color scheme of the home jersey is the same. For such a small club, they've made it to European competition fairly often over the past 30 years,

18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I conquer.

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol don't know why this made me chuckle.

sitruc repped this.
  20. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This goes against cf97 supporter conventional wisdom, if you told me I could shitcan one of Pauno, NRod, or Haumptman, I'd probably choose NRod. Haumptman, unlike say Sugarman, spends money. It's just done stupidly.

Of course if that happened, we'd probably end up with Nick Sakiewicz in his place.

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice distribution by Steffen early.

22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    #122 PhillyMLS, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Yeah, this has a lot more to do with anything than ownership being cheap. Now, I'm not going to say that they couldn't spend more but they have spent more than quite a few more teams that are well above them in the standings. They've dropped at least 4 million on transfer fees between Niko and Katai and they've dropped a good chunk on Basti (I know people claim that Adidas and the league are covering it, but I've never seen that confirmed just rumored). The problem is that they make baffling choices on TAM and regular signings. Their GK situation has been self inflicted for several years and they never have sorted out the backline. Relying on a guy like Marcelo (and as a TAM signing) that has never been more than a good player for one of those mid-tier Portuguese teams. Then they re-inforced their offense with two more TAM signings that could be ok (obviously haven't seen Gaitan yet) but they still seem just meh. With three DPs and the amount of TAM they have spent, they should be a much better team.

Sugarman spends money, just not on DP players. Chicago is trying to get rid of their academy apparently because they don't want to spend the money on that. Sugarman and the other Union owners are supposedly putting in 5 or 6 million a year in talent development (USL and youth teams)

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/ph...co-fabian-signing-direction-of-club-and-more/

Gamecock14 and CMeszt repped this.
  23. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah, I've got 3 nights in Funchal coming up in May, so I'll definitely be purchasing one when I get there. I'd love to see a game at their new stadium but I'm only there during the week. They're having a tough go of it this season, but Nacional looks in far worse shape.

We'll be in Ponta Delgada during Santa Clara's last home game of the year, but not sure if I'll be able to convince my wife to spend the last afternoon of our trip on it.

24. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Sounders goal ruled offside and penal!

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I saw a penalty. I saw a goal. I saw a confused celebration.