PBP: MLS 2019 Season Week 28 Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Sep 9, 2019.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Klinsmann did that to me.

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And me. While simultaneously insulting me and my soccer acumen, which was an odd touch.

ElNaranja, OldRetiredCoach, asoc and 2 others repped this.
  3. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I guess I should say GB is finishing it off for me. This crowd reflects my feelings...just dead.

People can blast me all they want but it is already blatantly clear to me that Berhalter is not the person for this job.

They are losing 1-0 and are time wasting, walking up the field with the ball, holding it in the back. The entire goal is not lose 2-0 or more.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, Nash, this is dreadful. I sure am jealous of El Tri for hiring Tata Martino. But then again, they have a whole generation of top players in their prime, and we have Gyasi.

Also: here comes Gyasi!

NashSC repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The nearly 3 game streak is over. The US scored somehow.

1-1

Bluecat82 repped this.
  6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Me too.

But this is pretty miserable too.

sitruc and Grumpy in LA repped this.
  7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute.

It may be a mirage.

You can't tell...

8. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    This game isn't that bad people. This could have been a US v Uruguay game at any point in the 25 years I've watched this team.

9. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    That was the crappiest goal I have seen scored in quite some time. Played the ball 2 seconds too late. Takes a deflection off a defender. then takes another deflection off an offensive player and defender and gets an lazy header.
    They all count, but wow.

10. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Guzan holding the ball, the defenders walking up the field with the ball and the holding the ball in your own half for extended amounts of time (intentional time wasting).......all while losing, just don't cut it for me.

11. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle
    Then change the channel.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That was truly another boring tie...

Ismitje and NashSC repped this.
  13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That truly felt like a friendly.

NashSC repped this.
  14. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Or I could be allowed to discuss my opinion and feelings after lifetime of following/supporting the team. But since I disagree with you, you can't handle and have to start with this crap.
    Allowing people to have another opinion is part of being an adult. Try it out.

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This was the seventh meeting all-time. The last meeting was in 2002. Evidently I was at that game. They played twice in '95. This was extremely boring..

16. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle
    Just a suggestion.

Anyway, at a certain point it gets kind of tiresome hearing people seemingly brag about how much they don't care about the US team. That's fine. Nobody has to care. For any reason, or even for no reason. But best to show that lack of caring by ignoring, no?

17. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    He could very well agree with you about the game.

But constant bitching gets old regardless. Especially right after you said you have no interest in the team. You should just go over to the USMNT boards and join in. You would fit right in.

Grumpy in LA repped this.
  18. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I came here to my fellow soccer fans and calmly stated my thoughts and opinions. I am obviously not alone. I didn't say anything outlandish. It is how I feel. You don't have to agree at all. It is completely fine that you don't. But be an adult. Comments like "change the channel" are the same as saying "shut up".
    I would like to enjoy watching my team play. I don't anymore. I haven't completely stopped trying yet, but I'm getting there.
    Just be an adult. That is my suggestion.

19. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    "constant"???
    I made 2 comments after the 70th minute.

20. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am kind of curious as to what the response is if the US won the game 3-1 (handball pk and Boyd scored on the cross) or 2-1 (if Sargent took the pk).

Funnily, this team is playing the way Klinsmann wanted. That's two games in a row where the US had more possession and limited the opponents shots on goal.

Berhalter has to figure out how to get the attack or even the transition from defense to midfield working, because that is a disaster.

Ismitje repped this.
  21. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle
    The US team has always been the most boring soccer team, probably the most boring sports team, I follow. Always. The USMNT's history of drab, boring friendlies goes way way back. But for me, when you're invested in something you're more into how something unfolds, rather than the entertainment value. A team I don't care about? Sure. In that case I just want entertainment value.

I've felt for most of the last 25 years that the USMNT was not exactly great at selling the game domestically outside the World Cup, which follows a different set of rules. That's precisely because we ain't exactly got flair.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  22. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I don't agree. I think the teams with Donovan, McBride, Mathis, C Jones, Wolf, etc was a lot of fun to watch. I have thought a few teams since then have been fun to watch also. We have had teams that played exciting attacking soccer.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Colombia-Venezuela ended as another ********ing boring scoreless tie.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'd still say it was boring.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  25. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle
    They were fun to watch in the 2002 World Cup. But I mean....the World Cup. There were plenty of drab friendlies before that. I remember one before the 2002 World Cup in particular against Uruguay, though the final friendly was vs. the Netherlands and it was pretty good, as I recall, even thought the US lost.

This was a decent improvement tonight vs. the game against Mexico, against the no. 5 team in the world. This was not exactly Honduras tonight. Next up is Canada and Cuba, and the US will likely be a lot more fun to watch and angst will decrease.