PBP: MLS 2019 Season Week 25 Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Soccerglue

Soccerglue Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha now it is 10 v 10 .

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea how that was even a yellow to start.

CeltTexan, Soccerglue and jaykoz3 repped this.
  3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is.....not one of the best......that Red on Tarek???? That'll be rescinded. I'm not even sure that was a foul, let alone a card.

WTF is the VAR official doing? Was he/she on a bathroom break??? That card should have been reviewed, not that Elfath would go to the monitor....

Soccerglue repped this.
  4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rivalry Week!
    Commish and league HQ exited to see this week's announcements of St. Louis entering and authentic, well earned rivalry matches for all to enjoy.
    Then tonight.
    Once again, a good game of pro soccer in our nation is ruined by our culture's refs.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue is you cannot review a yellow card. You can only review straight reds. So yellow for the tackle (which I wouldn't have given) and then an additional yellow for dissent. This red won't get rescinded either, for the same reason. The problem was the giving of the yellow on the initial "foul." I have zero idea how you can give a caution for that. It was two guys going hard on a 50/50 ball … at least for me.

JasonMa, CeltTexan and jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Couldn't be. VAR can only look at straight reds and this was a yellow followed quickly by a second yellow (assuming for dissent).

JasonMa and jaykoz3 repped this.
  7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since no one has mentioned it, NYC held on for the 1-0 victory over the Crew. Columbus is completely toothless in the attack. I mean, just a difficult team to watch.

SccrDon repped this.
  8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clarity! :thumbsup:

That was still classic Elfath making a horrible call.......he's still the same ref that presided over that USOC debacle between the Union and the Cosmos back in 2014....and he's arguably gotten worse since then, which is both impressive and sad.

9. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Actually, I may stand corrected on the yellow card timing. MLS' matchtracker is finally back up and it has Tarek getting a yellow first in the 37th minute then the foul we all are talking about as his second. There wasn't anything for dissent.

10. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    What a hit by Kamara. 1-1.

onefineesq repped this.
  11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL......how is that NOT going to VAR?!?!?!? That's a clear dive....

PK for RBNY, Royer converts. 2-1 RBNY

Soccerglue, sitruc and Beerking repped this.
  12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing goal followed immediately by a pk to Red Bulls. Geez.

Fans throwing shit on the field. Terrible.

1-2.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This f'n ref!

Beerking repped this.
  14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He already had a yellow? I missed that. Again, I am on record that the "foul" on Arriola was not a legit yellow in my book.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will defend Elfath here. The angle from behind shows absolute clear foot to foot contact. Having said that, the reaction was ENTIRELY EMBELLISHED. But that is contact that 9 out of 10 refs call, even though I personally hate it.

16. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I think he barely clips the heel. I don't personally think it is a PK, but I also don't think there is enough to overturn the call on the field. I'm also loathe to complain too much since the VAR official gets "better" camera angles (or at least they get to look at multiple ones while we only see what the director throws up on the screen).

That is what the website and opta have. Haven't seen it anywhere else though so who knows right now.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  17. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    What a horrific clown show of an official, missing that clear dive in the box was shambolic officiating. :mad::thumbsdown:

Soccerglue repped this.
  18. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Missed it. Did it not go to VAR or did VAR uphold it?

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always try to look at these from the perspective of "what would I think if it had happened to MY TEAM?" And if that had happened to my team, I would want the pk, even though I, theoretically, HATE these type of calls. Refs always give them when seen, so I would want my team to get it.

superdave and Ismitje repped this.
  20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elfath clearly communicated with VAR and then waived the penalty forward. The VAR officials didn't even think it close enough for Elfath to waste his time going to the monitor.

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It shall go unmentioned because the game itself was fairly dreadful. I was preparing dinner and happy for the distraction.

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.
    I just can't stand when the ref becomes so much a part of the game, the sport itself. Nearing the point when it becomes about him over the players. Just letting the sport breath.
    We still are at the point with outdoor association football in our sporting landscape that we must "sell" the sport to so many that are out there just getting into MLS. I mean our league is booming! On all fronts!
    Just want a ref to swallow his (her) whistle and let a good, combative encounter play out via the players. A ref should be little noticed really.

Soccerglue repped this.
  23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long has a KNOT on the side of his face from that Amerikwa elbow. Ouch!

24. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    The problem is that he almost has to embellish it. If he is clipped on the foot and stumbles but doesn't go down then he likely doesn't get the call and it is called a goal kick. In both cases there is the same amount of contact and both will cause him to lose possession because he is off balance. If he goes down then people scream dive but if he doesn't go down people would scream if they call the pk cause he didn't "get tripped". If we want players to not embellish then we need to trust that refs will call trips that don't lead to a player falling down. That won't happen (in any league) though so players embellish. It is a problem in the sport that really doesn't have an easy solution.

JasonMa, superdave and Justin O repped this.
  25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    And the VAR was totally wrong, along with Elfath. Both were culpable.