PBP: MLS 2019 Season Playoffs Conference Championship Round Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Now I understand the watermelon smile in the post game interview.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both teams came second in their Conference and they were 3rd and 4th in the Supporters Shield standings.

And Seattle may seem provincial to those of us on there East Coast but technically their media market is bigger than Detroit or Miami and both teams are in the top 5 in attendance.

Still, not a match for the neutrals. ABC execs won't be happy.

BalanceUT repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I am both disgruntled and disappointed. :cautious:

Nothing went right in MLS this year. :oops:

Except for SRFC's expansion announcement. :thumbsup:

BalanceUT and bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A) Props to TFC. They weren't as deserving a winner as Seattle last night but they did what they needed to do. Especially in this format that's all that matters. Survive and advance.

B) I'm less pissed about losing than I am about HOW they lost. Once more arguably the better side but undone by a few counters. Blech.

C) FdB waited too long make his change, I feel. Attack was way too toothless and that played into TFC's plan. Not a night to leave bullets in the holster, either, so why he didn't earlier swap out Pogba for Meram or Hyndman is beyond me. Alas.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still we get to watch TFC and Sounders FC stop each other from playing.

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.. the 14th largest market in the US with the 3rd highest per capita income that also happens to have the second largest fanbase in the league is an “unattractive small-market”. Hahaha. The salt is strong with you.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Alas...

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh... and as far as Toronto not mattering.. 1.5 million Canadians watched the 2016 MLS Cup compared to 2 million Americans. Sooooooo...... yeeeaaaah....

BalanceUT repped this.
  9. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I can't believe TFC have won 3 playoff games with Laurent Ciman as a starting CB and Omar Gonzalez and Jozy Altidore not setting foot on the field.

I never would have believed it was possible to make it to MLS cup in that scenario.

BalanceUT, bigredfutbol and GunnerJacket repped this.
  10. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    You must be clueless about MLS if you think Seattle is an unattractive small-market team. They play some of the most attractive soccer in the league.

BalanceUT repped this.
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I'm not watching presumably ;)

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gutted to see Parkhurst end his career by making a gritty comeback to play after injury only to fall tantalizingly short of another trophy opportunity. Sorry, Parky. Still a helluva career and we appreciate your contributions to the team and the league. Cheers, sir.

13. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    The reference to contact was spot on as Marrufo was pathetically bad. He wasn't biased as he didn't call anything. Arreaga, who got tossed out of his last two games, smashed into Vella like a rugby player and came close to separating Vela's shoulder on on the second one. He was so bad that let em hack Kelly actually felt the need to call a surprisingly tight game tonight(I thought he was very good outside of a phantom penalty call and a gutless VAR who was to afraid to call him on it) .

Refs like to think by calling nothing they let players decide the game. But this was exhibit A. But without Kaye and Diomonde LAFC team was a poor match for Seattle in a game without fouls which turning what should have been a one sided game into one where the margins between the teams were little. If Arreaga's reckless play is properly sanctioned like his previous games it is probably LA in a rout and LA's leaky defense giving up a goal or even two is inconsequential.

If LA wants to be a great team they needed a guy that would have hammered Lodeiro or Ruidiaz the next time they touched the ball after Vela got taken out in the ninth minute to force the ref into calling something and getting the game under control. By the time Kaye started recklessly hitting Seattle's players in the second half the game was over. They may want to play Bradley's stylish football, but if the ref calls a game more suitable to Lenhart and Gordon they've got to learn how to adjust. That said credit to Seattle and Toronto for making plays. They may not have been the better teams, but they are quality teams that were able to do what was needed to win.

14. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Vella needs to learn how to take a shoulder to shoulder bump

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto was 4th in the East and 9th overall.

cwilke1 repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, I got TFC and AUFC mixed up.

17. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Toronto and Seattle????

Not this shit again!

18. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    C'mon, they need a rubber match to sort out who gets bragging rights for the next decade.
    Seriously though, how would you rate these two teams among the current dynasties? I don't think there has ever been a case where the 2 same MLS clubs have met in the MLS Cup 3 out of four years (pre-2002 doesn't count with only 10 teams the odds were higher).

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I guess another shitty round of MLS playoffs* that I don't fully recognize came to an end with the Washington Nationals as World Series Champions.

I haven't slept.

*allegedly conference championships

BalanceUT and bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Last time MLS Cup was held in Seattle, Real Salt Lake were your Eastern Conference Champions.

Dirt McGirt, jaykoz3, Ismitje and 4 others repped this.
  21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TFC was 4th in the East.

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another TFC/Sea final. Another Final on turf.

23. bgix

bgix Bad Penny

Jun 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the angst of the “we’ve already seen this” crowd. All the neutrals wanted to see LAFC vs either Atlanta or NYCFC. But I’m not going to waste much time feeling bad.

Andy: I’m sorry this is costing you an extra $900. But So far I am on the hook for flying two kids back into town for this (thank you veterans for your service and your holiday) and after tickets and beer, I am going to guess this costs me twice that. Been dreaming of this for 10 years, and it will be gladly spent.

terrier and bigredfutbol repped this.
  24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oh, shit happens. It's part of the job. I was spoiled the last couple of years with all the driving to Orlando and Atlanta.

Plus I miss Seattle. I think it has been ten years since I was in town.

At least I got a direct flight.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  25. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Lodeiro is consistently the most fouled player in MLS, and in this match, both he and Ruidiaz got hit in the head multiple times with nobody being given a yellow card. .