MLS 2019 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by firefan2001, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminder that MLS brass doesn't actually like supporters. They merely tolerate them, and any support they show towards them is largely superficial. The reason for that is MLS doesn't like things they can't exercise total control over.

What actual supporters are, and the kind of "supporters" the league sees as ideal, don't really jive.

The kind of "supporters" the MLS brass wants are blind consumers that are "rah rah" all the time, even when the team sucks or club is shitty to them. In essence they want a free marketing department that never asks questions and doesn't cause problems. That doesn't mesh particularity well with any supporters group that exercises some level on independence (which is most of them).

TrueCrew and MPNumber9 repped this.
  2. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    The kind of supporters MLS wants are fancy law firms that have four prime tickets that they renew every year on a corporate account no matter the the price, without even really thinking about it. Or a luxury box, even better.

The big four reality is total insulation from both labor and their fans. Just massive guaranteed annual profits no matter what, often largely subsidized with taxpayer dollars. That's the SUM dream.

I'm dubious it will work for soccer, for a variety of reasons, and good lord we should hope it doesn't, and fight like hell against it.

3. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to the context of the "rowdy" fans in the stadium that liven up the atmosphere.

You're right though that MLS as a whole is placing a lot more focus on premium seating and corporate suites these days. That's been pretty obvious over the past 5 or so years.

4. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That is true of every sports team and league in the world, though. The tension between business and culture exists in all such enterprises.

5. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Totally true, but there is a very different equilibrium between those forces in, say, Argentinian soccer versus the NFL.

TrueCrew and AlbertCamus repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but who wants to be a prawn sandwich eater? I went to a game at QPR just after getting off a plane. I was tired and jet-lagged, so I chilled in the first row of the upper deck on the sideline toward one end. Then this guy comes over and starts screaming at the top of his lungs at the 2-300 Notts County supporters below us behind the goal.

"You fockin' baaastards! Cumon, Oi'll foight yez aww! Cumon, let's 'ave a go if ya fink yuh 'ard enuf, fockin No-in-amshire scum!" After a couple of minutes of this an old man behind me yells at him, "Guan, Wotch tha goime, yuh daaaaft baaaastard!" The next weekend I went to Leeds and met Boomhauer with a Yorkshire accent....

It reminded me of how much I love the real England.

bbsbt, Dirt McGirt and JasonMa repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I went to QPR last year the away fans had been moved to the upper level, including me (went as part of the travelling Blackburn support).

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is relevant as it makes Atlanta United attendances even more impressive while also confirming that some of United's reported attendances were optimistic (though no more so than many other MLS teams).

Defaults top $32 million as some Falcons fans struggle with PSLs

Thursday, January 23, 2020 @ 7:39 PM
    By Tim Tucker - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Falcons fans have defaulted on more than $32 million worth of personal seat licenses in Mercedes-Benz Stadium, including $7 million in defaults during the 2019 fiscal year, according to the most recent available data.

The figures show that buyers have walked away from thousands of seats, likely for reasons ranging from disappointing team performance to personal circumstances, and may help explain some of the much-noticed empty seats at Falcons games this past season....

...In 2018, the actual attendance figures showed that on average the Falcons drew almost 9,000 fewer fans per game than announced, and Atlanta United drew almost 6,000 fewer fans per game than announced. At one game that year, the Falcons announced 72,084 while actually drawing 56,470; at one game, Atlanta United announced 41,012 while drawing 32,347.

GunnerJacket and Minnman repped this.
  9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Kind of interesting.

We have never really had that large of a season ticket holder base. We draw pretty good crowds but rely heavily on group sales and the like.

Stupid_American and harrylee773 repped this.
  10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2010 Bill Archer, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    I don't have a problem with teams reporting tickets sold as "attendance". Sure it's kind of a fudge but ISTM it's well within allowable flummery.

I do however strongly object to the "tickets distributed" method. For years MLS reported out utterly ludicrous attendance figures because the team was papering the town. Another form of that was conversion, whereby they'd hand over a block of seats to a local soccer organization - crummy seats they were never going to sell - and let them sell them for whatever and keep the money. That way they weren't literally handing them out and, probably, took a charitable write off.

Actual turnstile count - "drop count" is the term Don Garber used when he was badmouthing the Crew* , the first time in 22 years that MLS admitted there even WAS a difference between butts in seats and "attendance" - is a rock solid metric but expecting these guys to be brutally honest and then turn around on Monday and give potential sponsors a bunch of happy talk about how well they're doing is asking a whole lot.

Honesty only goes so far.

* At the new Crew Stadium groundbreaking, when Don took the podium and much of the crowd stood and turned their backs to him, he said he understands that there are some lingering issues between him and Columbus fans, and he hoped one day that we could all sit down, have a beer together and talk it over. All I can say is he must like wearing beer.

11. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That is massive, we are talking about announcing more than 25% than actual attendance.

The sky is not falling and MLS is not doomed, and it's very easy to understand why they bumb their numbers (attrack sponsors, create scarcity, etc). But if we are seriously going to analyze attendance across the league, this is something that can't be ignored.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an extreme example. The average is 13%. If that applied across the league the average number of butts in seats would be 18,851.

Stefan Szymanski claimed the difference between announced attendances and butts in seats in MLS was as high as 30%, based on a single source.

Stupid_American repped this.
  13. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Are partial packs a new thing for the Sounders? I feel like I remember that they originally only did full season ticket packages.

14. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. They’ve done half season from the start.

Stupid_American repped this.
  15. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    When will they start selling individual games? Flying out for the Crew game week 2 and would prefer to get decent seats.

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    No 2020 attendance thread yet, so
    LAFC vs Penarol had 18,988 back on the 25th.

18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    NYCFC - Corintheans 7,837 in Orlando back on Jan 15 Can't find their number against Palmeiras.

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    USA - Costa Rica @carson, CA 9172, I believe this is the lowest attendance ever for the USMNT in Carson.

harrylee773 and Centennial repped this.
  20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not. Just a little non-comprehensive search shows 8803 vs. Iceland in 2016.

mbar repped this.
  21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah, I suppose any match since the end of the Klinsman era is a candidate. Interest has fallen off the roof.

22. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    In 1990, the USMNT played CRC on February 2 in Miami, supposedly when nobody in the US cared about soccer. Attendance was 25,392.

23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    January Camp Attendance in Carson
    2004 10,461
    2006 16,366
    2007 10,048
    2008 14,878
    2009 9,918
    2010 18,626
    2011 18,580
    2014 27,000
    2015 20,271
    2016 8,803
    2018 11,161
    2020 9,172

Thus, 2020 was the second lowest attended January camp in Carson, and the lowest was in 2016.

Stuart95 repped this.
  24. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Non January camp games in Carson
    vs CRC 2011 15,798
    vs Guatemala 2007 21,334 (Gold Cup)
    vs Trinidad 2007 27,000 (Gold Cup)
    vs Barbados 2008 11,476 (WCQ)

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann was still very much in charge against Iceland.

blacksun and ukraine76 repped this.