MLS 2019 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by firefan2001, Jan 6, 2019.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Anyone that still thinks MLS has some kind of serious attendance problem simply isn't following closely enough. Just eyballing what you see on TV you can see a drastic change in terms of people actually at the stadiums, and also their interest level in the game. It's clear as day that the situation has changed.

EDIT: also MLS is in the top 10 leagues in the world in terms of attendance. Top 10 leagues. In the world. Let that sync in.

STR1, SiberianThunderT and NashSC repped this.
  2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincinnati gives almost free tickets to UC students.

3. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tomásbernal repped this.
  4. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Interesting that you are now on the side of arguing attendance doesn't match butts in the seats.
    Of course many teams butts in the seats doesn't match announced attendance. Something I have always maintained and even started a thread to discuss.

However, I don't think the average team has "thousands" of no shows that didn't "pay a cent". Does it happen with some teams...yes. Does it happen with Portland, Seattle, LAFC, LAG, Vancouver, SKC, RSL, Montreal, Atlanta, FC Cincy, DC United, Minnesota, Philly, SJ, Toronto...don't think so. Does it happen with Chicago, Houston, Dallas, NYRB, Orlando...most likely. There are a few I would put in the not sure: Colorado, Columbus, NER, NYCFC

Remember the statement was "thousands." If it had been "hundreds" I would have agreed.

5. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the sky is falling !!!!!!!!

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhhh.... what are you on about? No one denies that MLS uses tickets distributed and not turnstile counts.. we usually don’t allow it in this thread because it has, historically, resulted in non-productive arguments between factions arguing over how much of a difference exists between the two numbers, others trying to explain why there were so many no shows, or why it appears to be so many, etc. The argument happened so often we just ended up banning it.

You asked how he got "thousands". I answered that question. I just didn't know about the LA Times article.

Egbert Sousé and CMeszt repped this.
  7. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I've had a holiday change of plans and I may be in Denver for the holidays. If the secondary market is good I may have to get tickets to Lions at Broncos...because I hate myself.

8. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Though back on topic, Chicago's $25/game for all non-club seats deal ended yesterday. I'd be interested to know what the number sold so far has been, especially compared to last year.

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost free isn't free tho. Discounted prices isn't uncommon for teams. The idea being that if you get them in the door, they'll want to come to more games. Of course, you run the risk of people becoming used to the discounted prices and not being willing to pay for full price tickets and you could annoy people that pay full price.

10. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Almost free is kind of like almost dead. ;)

GunnerJacket repped this.
  11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mostly free!

SabreKhan and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  12. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Found tickets for today's game at Mile High for MLS prices. Temps in the 60s. My team (Detroit) only plays there every 8 years. Kinda hard to say no to that.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to confirm there are physical seats in MBS.

1208842225444102144 is not a valid tweet id

14. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During the college bowl game the other day, they had the curtains over the upper deck. Huge "ATLANTA UNITED" advertising in lots of TV shots, almost nothing Falcons-related on the TV broadcast.

GunnerJacket and Paul Berry repped this.
  15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is the reason for the attendance drop in Frisco over the past couple of seasons has a lot to do with (a) higher ticket prices and (b) fewer freebies and that the "attendance has dropped but revenues are up" phenomenon is happening there as well.

Color me shocked that a sports ownership group that is headed by a beancounter would do something like that. ;)

sitruc, Kejsare and tomásbernal repped this.
  16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Of course not, cause it's our stadium! We just let the Falcons borrow it from time to time!

;)

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  17. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of reason, the anemic attendance in Frisco going even lower is cause for concern. FCD was one of the first teams in the league to build a stadium, and all they preached was, "We control our own revenues now! We'll be able to invest in the team!" That, and, "All the wealthy white people live up here anyway, and there are more moving in all the time." Both of those sentiments have just frankly failed to pan out over the years. Regardless of the reason, nobody wants to go to Frisco. I'll expect something other than mediocrity out of Dallas when somebody new owns the team. Until then, I guess I'll be content with two or three good crowds a year.

It is telling that the largest section of Frisco ISD Stadium's Wikipedia page is labeled "Notable Concerts." (We are currently in a two-year Jimmy Buffett drought. This is unacceptable.)

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I skimmed the linked article: "almost free" was $12.50/game for the four home games in September, or $44 for all four. More like "half price for a quarter of the home games".

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the college football tv watchers were like "Why is Atlanta United"?

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Especially in this day and age.

21. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick check of the shifting demographics in Frisco indicate renovating Toyota Stadium into a Cricket Ground might be the only way to improve attendance....

22. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    The stadium atmosphere is the #1 factor for sustainability. In Seattle and Portland we draw and it's electric. On TV, Atlanta shows up amazing. The gameday atmosphere is a must for long term viability and profit.

FCD started dead and have never recovered from poor attendance and experience.

Every expansion city should have attendance and supporter group buy-in as the biggest factor before being added to the league.

23. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Merry Christmas, y'all!

MuchoTakeItEasy and stanger repped this.
  24. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Merry Christmas you filthy animals.

CMeszt and MuchoTakeItEasy repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for the position of the effects Mike, which picks up the sound of a capo on his megaphone.