PBP: MLS 2018 Week 26 Continuous PBP [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Hunh? He looked on to me too, but admittedly I didn't get a great look.

2. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Seattle back into playoff position. The more things change ... the more they stay the same.

Sounders78 repped this.
  3. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I actually kinda feel bad looking at the Portland Defender being all dejected after the game...

Whats wrong with me?

JasonMa repped this.
  4. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Today was definitely a better day for Seattle than yesterday was.

And hello from Australia.

Justin O repped this.
  5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tradition, I guess.

6. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    So, just caught up on the weekend games.

San Jose got rid of Bingham because they thought Tarbell was better. Well......that ain't looking like the right call this year (though they do have Marcinkowski who has looked pretty good in USL this year). Course Starhe is looking like a debacle as a coach as well.

Though Hudson in Colorado isn't exactly covering himself in glory either. Funny that there was that other thread that someone was arguing MLS is League One quality. Colorado is filled with ex-Championship players and they are garbage in this league.

Seattle is going to win the Cup, aren't they?

And, conversely, Portland is trying to bring themselves into the scrap for the last sport or two. They do have a decently easy schedule for the next month (all winnable games) but if they screw that up they go into the last month with FCD, 2 against RSL, and closing out against VWFC. They don't do the business in the next month then those games could kill them.

Lastly, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Union but preparing for disappointment. If DCU keeps up their home form then they could be a pest at year end. Montreal has a rough schedule and TFC does as well. But, we are the Union, so I fully expect a losing streak and a USOC final loss.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to break it to you, but he didn't look clearly off or on from that angle. Flag down was probably the preferred outcome.

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    At least half a yard off. You can go back and review it if you'd like.

Holden has a history of being awful at reviewing replay regardless.

9. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Does he know the rules though? My memory of Friedel is an MLS Cup final (while he was a YNT coach no less) complaining about how the ref backed a defensive player up on a throw-in and saying it is only foul if he makes contact with the player. He also insinuated that he would tell his players to do that.

10. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be asking the AR about the call at some point so I'll be sure to come back to gloat/eat crow, depending on what I learned.

11. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lalas encouraging diving, then he would be the first person to call out a player for doing it.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I hate people.

...another shitty week of MLS came to an end.

13. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
  14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was this one of those moments where the lack of camera angles in MLS made it more difficult to determine if someone was clearly in an offside position?

15. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think (haven't researched at all) it's because the refs don't want players to delay putting the ball back in play in hopes that the match will end.

But what do I know?

16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the youth level I wait because I want to goalkeeper to chase the ball down so I don't have to after the half/game. :)

Ismitje, crazypete13 and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Evidently this tweet didn’t age well.

Thx,

Jay!

Ismitje and Sounders78 repped this.
  18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Also the pregame chat she had with Bill Hamid, I think, was one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    You mean like Wednesday, when DC United plays their MLS Approved rival in Philly?

Thx,

Jay!

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought some here would enjoy the Rapids' attempt at spin after that debacle:

https://www.coloradorapids.com/post...ds-vs-real-salt-lake-takeaways-august-25-2018

A series Salt Lake won 7-1 on points with a +9 GD. The Rapids played down a man for about 145 of the 270 minutes in the series this year and down two men for about 50 of the 270 minutes.

Sounders78 and Gamecock14 repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good grief. I mean, I can see their point, but I would never be stupid enough to offer it up to a angry fanbase.

JasonMa repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, because I can't even see their point. It feels like something that was written pregame. Going into game 3 I would have easily said that we were close to winning the series this year if it weren't for a bad stretch of 5-10 minutes in Game 1. So if we had won Saturday night by a couple of goals I could see their point.

But we got destroyed Saturday night, through bad decisions made by the coach and the players. Not a bad bounce here or a bad call there, just a team that didn't belong on the field Saturday night. Hard to spin that into "easily turned in our favor".

And to your point, even if it was accurate, you don't put that out there after what happened.

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How was this rivalry week and the Galaxy and Quakes weren’t playing each other?