PBP: MLS 2018 Week 25 Continuous PBP [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Aug 13, 2018.

1. bgix

bgix Bad Penny

Jun 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It shows that VAR needs to be revisited at a minimum, to prevent linesmen from being lazy. They are being paid to do a job there.

2. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL got lucky. Clear handball on Besler.

sitruc repped this.
  3. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    That handball can't be reviewed guys... ball has changed possession numerous times already

4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. As long as play hasn’t stopped and restarted, VAR is absolutely still a possibility.

ArsenalMetro, sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we just saw another example of that. In the World Cup, I absolutely would have expected that to get called a penalty after a review. In MLS, I don’t have the slightest freaking idea what they are or aren’t going to look at anymore.

6. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Attacking phase of play not an issue?

7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bravo to Brian Dunseth for his measured, composed, heartfelt & professional take on the Crew situation. Also kudos to him for pointing out that Precourt has been noticeably silent through the entire process. When is he going to publicly own this shit show he has produced?

Jay Sugarman gets a lot of flack, some of it deservedly so from Philly Union fans. That said, he has faced the music and publicly admitted to making mistakes. He also explained how and why he was fixing those mistakes. Philly fans might not like how the team is run, but they do respect Sugarman for standing up and owning his mistakes, and being honest about the financial constraints of the team.

It’s time for Precourt to put his ADULT pants on and explain to The Crew fans WHY he’s moving the team to Austin. Not in a letter that he didn’t write. In front of the Crew fans, and in front of the media. I nominate Dunseth to be the facilitator.

NeilB, TheJoeGreene, TOAzer and 5 others repped this.
  8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attacking phase of play only refers to a foul that was committed by the team that scored a goal in the build up to that goal. So, if RSL commits a foul that isn’t called, and then possession changes hands four times, and THEN RSL scores, you can’t waive the goal off because of a foul that occurred four possessions ago.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Damn Beckerman. That was a hit

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a very long 24 hours (worked until 12:30 last night, only for a SWAT team to hit a house behind our back fence and across the street from 12:45 to 5am) I'm catching up on today's action. Rooney is better than expected and LAFC hasn't picked up the couple of red cards I was hoping for in this game. Think that about covers it.

Ismitje repped this.
  11. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Here is my scouting report: The Rapids should mark Christian Ramirez in the area.

TheJoeGreene, Bluecat82, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I thought that was onside.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh good, Horta has come in. In his first two games with LAFC, he's been pretty good for the opposition. Maybe tonight, too?

14. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    The Assist King.

Ismitje repped this.
  15. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hell was that from Beckerman?

16. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TFC-Caps highlights

crazypete13 repped this.
  17. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    RSL was putrid tonight.

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. While in the first half we were putrid, in the second half we improved to just plain terrible.

Sachsen, jaykoz3 and Guardien repped this.
  19. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I did some reading. Thanks for the correction.

Question. What if play continued, ball was in a "neutral zone' at multiple times. Referee must stop play once the ball is in a neutral zone if a review is recommended. How long does the VAR have to complete their check and make a recommendation?
    There will have to be a judgment call there.

20. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they’re checking a potential penalty or red card, they have until the next restart of play.

Once the play is stopped, they have to go to VAR before play starts back up again. Once play restarts, VAR is no longer an option. But if it happens in minute 1, they could theoretically still initiate a review in minute 32 — provided the ball hasn’t gone out of play. There’s no time limit.

I think that actually happened at the World Cup. A penalty call was missed, but play rolled along. About thirty seconds later, the ref blew the whistle and went straight to the monitor and reversed the call.

21. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having personally witnessed this happen to the Loons three times already this season (twice against Seattle and once against San Jose), I beg to differ.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  22. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shocking defending + good attacking = fun!

Any idea why nobody tried to defend Altidore's run for his 3rd goal? Didn't see a single VAN defender take a single step toward him.

23. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to stand up for your team, @Ismitje !

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Europa League just had the blown tire to end all blown tires.

Dinamo Minsk won the first leg against Zenit at home, 4-0.

The teams headed to St. Petersburg today. Zenit got one in the first half, one mid-second half. Then, ouch, Zenit gets a red card in the 72nd minute. Down a man, need two goals to get to extra time. No problem, Zenit uses the MLS 10-man advantage and scores in the 75th and 78th, to extra time we go.

Minsk scores in the 99th minute, so they're up a man, up a goal, and have the away goals tiebreaker to fall back on. Is that enough? Nope!

Zenit scores in the 109th, 115th (penalty), Minsk gets a 120th minute red card, and Zenit scores twice in extra-time second-half stoppage time (including another penalty) to win 8-1 on the day and 8-5 on aggregate.

I need a cigarette after just typing that; I can't imagine what it felt like to be invested in it.

sitruc, Sachsen, Justin O and 7 others repped this.
  25. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me, but the Blown tire to end all blown tires would have been Combing the opponent in the first game (they got that), then getting combed on the aggregate. Sadly, they were one goal short on that.

RafaLarios, JasonMa and ArsenalMetro repped this.