MLS 2018 Season (Other Teams) [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Feb 28, 2018.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Fixture congestion isn't an excuse - it's a reality in MLS scheduling that hits most teams at some point or another.

2. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d say it is a reality that hits them all, more or less equally. Since it hits them all, then it isn’t appropriate to complain about it.

For the REVs their infrequent participation in other competitions besides MLS regular games and, typically briefly, USOC, should make them a team that suffers the challenge less often.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    - It doesn't hit all teams equally at all.

- It came up with the Revs during a period when they were involved in other competitions. It's rarely been an issue since then.

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It came up with them because they had so little depth (and open roster spots) that Nicol only felt comfortable to give only 15 players more than 200 minutes the whole season

5. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less this

More this

6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think Nicol, and Heaps after him, was overly dependent on veteran players (i.e., his regular starters). With Nicol, I think it was from the respect for veterans that he was indoctrinated with in his playing career in Scotland and England (as elaborated in his autobio) and with Heaps, I think it was more about pressure to get results and lack of confidence in the younger players.

One instance I recall, was Marshall Leonard, who IMO was pretty much the equal of Joey Franchino (and a lot less volatile), yet he rarely played.

One year in particular (the one with the Joe Public fiasco), the starting lineup was toast by August!

For sure, open roster spots are an issue, but that only matters if the coach is willing to play the guys filling those (and other) spots.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle, missing a lot of players last night, lost 3-0 at Chivas.

So the CCL semis are now set.

April 3rd:
    Chivas hosts RBNY
    TFC hosts Club America

April 10th:
    RBNY hosts Chivas
    Club America hosts TFC

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's the whole point of having a full roster of guys who are at least competent professionals. That's why the guys you bring in should be at the top of the roster, so they push the previous starters to sub roles and the previous subs to bench/reserve roles. This way, when injuries/suspensions/fixture congestion hits, you've got at least some decent options who won't be an embarrassment.

9. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Seems like Revs don't want to, or are unable to go there.

The team sure could use one or two MLS Best 11 caliber players, or at least MLS Best 22, or Best 33. Not sure that Revs are fielding any of those just now. It's been lean in terms of top players for a while. Only a few one-year, one-player Best 11 appearances for Revs since Shalrie/Twellman/Dempsey era wound down in 2009.

It's pretty straightforward - this fan enjoys a more-skilled team far more than a lesser-skilled team. That's got nothing to do with negativity, nor is it making assumptions. It's a preference, and the Revs aren't lining up with that preference.

TOAzer repped this.
  10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone has a case I would think Seattle or TFC may, tucked away in Cascadia and Canada respectively. Turns out they either don't have issues or thrive in spite of them.

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2008, really a defining year. Twellman gets injured, Cristman broke his toe, Badilla couldn't escape injury the whole year. Combine this with multiple poor draft years. Despite winning SuperLiga, the depleted revs weren't able to be the same team after.

TOAzer repped this.
  12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Let's not pretend that these teams have been perennial successes. Seattle's had plenty of stumbles on the field over their history and Toronto has sucked and/or underachieved most of their lifetime. So, I wouldn't say they've thrived for the most part.
    It seemed like the first Joe Public game gave them a punch to the gut that they never recovered from. In the heat/humidity of August in T&T, they looked like they were running in mud - it seemed like it took so much out of them that they were even less capable in the 2nd leg back home.

13. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Seattle's had plenty of stumbles? They've made the playoffs every year of their MLS existence, they've won a Supporters' Shield and MLS Cup and are perennial contenders to win both, and have participated in numerous CCLs. Sure, TFC has had their stumbles but certainly not Seattle.

rkane1226 and patfan1 repped this.
  14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By Revs standards, that's a 100% success rate!

rkane1226 and Crooked repped this.
  15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm... alternative history is fascinating..... Now plain ol' vanilla history, the one where Nicol has the Revs tank it against Joe Public because he doesn't give a flying rat's ass about anything but league play, is not so fascinating.
    Infuriating, sure, but not fascinating.

rkane1226 and patfan1 repped this.
  16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, the Revs try. That's all we can ask for.

(And thanks for doing the work regarding Seattle for me. As I was reading Bob's comment that's all I wanted to do as well to point out how wrong that statement was).

pwykes, rkane1226 and Crooked repped this.
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that, while Toronto was terrible on the field for their first several years, for the past 3 seasons they have been a top team, and there doesn't seem to be anything to indicate that changing now.

On the other hand, we had a nice run when we were one of the better teams in the league, but never managed to close the deal with an MLS Cup. Inevitably, it was going to go downhill when those key players get old or decline in other ways and they are not replaced.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I was going to parse it all out, but read through https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Sounders_FC#History and you'll find plenty of disappointments.

They've had early USOC exits, early playoff exits, serious underachieving seasons, ... along with their successes.

Had they not had any stumbles, Sigi would still be their coach.
    Right. :rolleyes: Maybe you could post the text of his pre-game speech; something like "now boys, you can make it look like your trying, but whatever you do, don't win this match and make us play another series. Because, even though we're all highly-competitive chaps, winning will just give us more games to play and who among us wants that"?
    Exactly: 3 years out of 11!

19. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I repped it but have to quote it as an attempt to give even more rep

20. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Disappointments because of the standards that their ownership and fans hold the club to. Early exits from the playoffs and the CCL are a disappointment.

To call the club anything but incredibly successful in their eight years in the league is crazy.

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you asked...

"Aiight laads! We're pleyin these geys froom Jamaica tannate, an they'll trey tae roon uus entae the grooon eff wur na careful. Noo, doan ferget, rate effter thess, we gut tae get tae the airoport--Bunsie, yuur gunna drave the boos, rate? At least ye know whech sayde a tha rood tae drave on... Anyway, we gut a tuff match coomen oop in San Jose, so I'm gunnae trey an gie us a break an gevv some tame to somma yue lot... Hey, whass yuur name again? Oh, OK, well, can ye goo fuura full 90? Greet! Yuur gonnae staart. An yue, yuur gonnae come in fur Twellman at the haaf..."

Just like how they rate WC teams based on their most recent results, that matters more than the early years. I bet they will have a longer stretch as an elite team than we did.

Yes, it took them a long time to get their act together, but the thing is, if that was the Revs, the first time they would have tried to sign a big-time player (Jermain Defoe) they would have given up when he was a bust. Instead they learned from their mistakes, kept at it and made the commitment to sign other players until they got it right. Has Burns ever learned a lesson from previous mistakes? I guess now he knows to look both ways when crossing the street and take an umbrella when it's pouring, but that's probably it...

pwykes repped this.
  22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    All I actually said is that they've had some stumbles.
    Just suggesting to look at the whole picture. And, there's no guarantee that their success will continue - MLS is littered with examples of those who have been up, then down (LA, DC, Houston, ...). So, for now, it's about 3 good seasons out of 11.

BrianLBI repped this.
  23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member