MLS 2017 Week 17 Continuous PBP Thread [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal line technology scores for LA! 2-1 for the home team in Kansas City.

2. Soccerglue

Soccerglue Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tap the screen and you should see what bars at top and bottom plus a red speech ballon looking thing with a keypad inside. Tap that and it give you caption options.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    There's a lot of soccer next week. USOC on Tuesday and Wednesday. MLS Thursday through Sunday, and some USL and NASL mixed in there too.

Then the week after that there's something every single day if you count the USL on Monday. A full slate of MLS on Tuesday (the 4th) and Wednesday as well. One more MLS game on Thursday. And then the Gold Cup begins on Friday.

Soccerglue and Ismitje repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From earlier: David Accam was ridiculously good today. And the goals and assist weren't really about speed, though he is known for that.

GHjelm repped this.
  5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooooo, much like 2 weeks ago, I get home after being out all Saturday on personal business only to find DC has been shutout .... AGAIN. What a freaking surprise. The only team we seem to be able to score against is Atlanta. What is this, the 11 shutout in 17 games this season? Putrid.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    In other words, DC United met your expectations.

Boloni86, JasonMa and Soccerglue repped this.
  7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    SKC off the post!

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL with the consolation goal on the last kick of the game. And after losing 5-1, 6-2, and 4-1 in our last three road games, I am afraid I am content with 2-1 this time out.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Save Curt!

sitruc and Gamecock14 repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    KC fans are wondering how our first ever homegrown player, Jon Kempin, is somehow the backup goalkeeper in LA. Woof

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    First thought in my mind! Especially as he was grabbing his knee as the ball went in the net.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If that had been Dallas, Melia would've had another shutout!

Anyone keep track of how many different ways Tutino pronounced "Melia" in the game?

14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Anyone else care more about opera not breaking something during the shot than the goal.

15. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If you're ever in Portland for a soccer game, I highly recommend Andina, a Peruvian restaurant on 13th & Glisan. Best meal I've had in some time.

Totoro repped this.
  16. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Damn autocorrect.

17. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    :eek: Just noticed that FC Cincinnati-Chicago Fire game will be televised Wednesday on ESPN2!!

Brilliant. The hottest team in MLS vs. the hottest fan atmosphere in the USL. Usually it's hard enough to get a US Open Cup final televised, so this is a nice move by ESPN.

18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ESPN losing Soccer programming to Fox + July dead season might be a good thing.

GHjelm repped this.
  19. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I must say, I've been fairly impressed with this Confed Cup. Makes me feel better that next year's WC won't be a disaster. My main worries were :

Fan violence. So far the atmosphere in all the matches has been calm, even Russia matches. Seems very family friendly. This could still end up being a problem though when traveling fans from England, Poland and Croatia show up.

Racism. As far as I can tell, no black players have been booed. It's a low bar to even have to think about that, but at least it's not happening. Also whenever the camera shows the crowd, the non white fans seem to be having fun.

Attendance. Russia isn't exactly the most soccer crazy country in the world. So far all the games seem pretty well attended.

Totoro and jaykoz3 repped this.
  20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Looking at the numbers this morning, I think somebody in Utah plugged in a toaster.

21. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The October 15th RSL-Col match could have the winner taking home the Rocky Mountain Cup and the loser taking home the Spoon.

It would be hilarious if MLS allowed someone to put the crappy wooden spoon trophy on top of a shabbily built wooden case.

22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Looking at the numbers this morning, I think the entire Western Conference plugged in a toaster. We all know deep down inside Sporting is an Eastern conference team.

I keep saying, the West should just rebrand as MLS 2. Maybe Sporting promotes to the East and DC relegated to the West.

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I think this goes too far.

What separates the WC from the EC is only the collection of three strong teams at the top.

The dividing line between playoff and non-playoff teams is currently nearly identical: 1.39 PPG vs 1.38 PPG. And 7th through 11th really aren't that different from one conference to the other. Same with 4th through 6th.

It's just that 1-3 in the EC are really strong relative to 1-3 in the WC.

24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't kidding -- I still have no idea what the heck this means.

SccrDon and JasonMa repped this.
  25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    SccrDon, sitruc, rslfanboy and 5 others repped this.