MLS 2017 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Mar 4, 2017.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've already been told that Centennial 38 is preparing a response

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    25,358 in toronto tonight....for those who tuned in early and inclined to say "look less on TV"....you would have been right for first 20 minutes....extremely late arriving crowd (two guys beside me actually didn't get to stadium until half time).

nlsanand and Mucky repped this.
  4. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    The problem is the pattern this organization has shown the fans. The team starts to produce results and gels as a unit. We win the MLS cup in 2010 then they decide they don't like the style of play and gut the team only to struggle for years in the bottom half of the standings. Then they run into coaching issues (imagine that)... The new coach being in a green horn who had no clue and by some miracle the team gels. And they have a fantastic year 2nd in the supporters shield. Best regular season ever for the team. What do you think they do?. The obvious... Gut the team and start over.

What kind of a crap organization does that???

KSE, that's who.

Just look at the colorado avalanche... It's a pattern with this organization.

Watch out Arsenal, you may be in for a long and dismal ride!

5. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It baffles me toó.... It Is not Mack of money., It Is lack of ambition, they are happy with being mediocre

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Was Orlando sold out today? Lots of empty seats - people just getting out of the sun?

7. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    #807 whiteonrice04, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    19597 in Montreal
    22814 in N.Y. red bull arena
    17336 in Columbus

8. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    17,605 @MNU
    16,014 @FCD

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Finally some good numbers all around. Also looks like 17k is the new normal for Minnesota...

10. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    An underwhelming and disappointing average for a first year team.

Whatever. Not my fan base.

okcomputer, deedsy and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  11. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    25008 LAG
    43230 Seattle
    18648 KC
    25527 Orlando

13. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    With Atlanta's 45000 this is going to be a really good week.
    I know I have posted about it more than once but people really need to take notice of Atlanta's attendance for this game. The most important part is that they sold 45k 6 days in advance. Outside of the NFL and college football I am not sure any other team in America could sell 45k 6 days in advance for a regular season game. There may be a couple that could do it when playing their biggest rival.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Um... the Dodgers average 46k. Playing 82 home games. No other sports have a chance to sell that many tickets because they play in arenas.

15. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People in Orlando apparently really crave shade. Because one chooses to live in Orlando because one despises heat and humidity. WTF?

16. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    The game has actually been sold out for a few weeks now not just six days. They hold back some tickets to try and sell more season ticket and four game packages. I think six days ago they released these last few they couldn't sell as packages to the public and then called it an official sell out.

The next game against Houston on May 20th is already sold out as well. There are no more single game tickets left on Ticketmaster. The only way in is through multi game packages.

The real test will be 5/28 against NYCFC. It's a Sunday game with a home game the week before. If that game sells out then there is no stopping ATL.

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  17. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I understand the arena size issue. I am saying even if they had the space to seat 45k.
    Do the dodgers sell them 6 days in advance? Even if so that is 1 team. My point still stands minus 1.

18. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite a few baseball teams get numbers like that when they are on good runs.... it's not uncommon at all... you still hit capacity issues.. like the Giants with their current sellout streak right now surely would regularly of been hitting 45k+ If they had the extra seating... same with the Red Sox and Cubs.. the Phillies were frequently reporting 45kish numbers during their good run of a few years, as were the Indians. I guarantee if hockey or basketball teams had the capacity certain teams would be hitting those numbers from time to time as well. Hell, I bet there are other MLS teams that could sell that fast during a good run if they had the capacity.. do we really think a hot Portland, Seattle or even Kansas City wouldn't be capable of doing it?

19. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    A week in advance is the point. Not the 45k. 45k a week in advance is a very big deal.
    I understand other teams would sell 45k to regular season games occasionally if they had the space.
    You guys are missing the point. The time period in which they sold these is what is important. Selling 45k that early means they could have easily sold thousands and thousands more if they had the space. You are devaluing something that is rarely done outside of NFL and college football.

20. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I remember the Cleveland Indians, after they moved into their new stadium and had a few stars for a couple years, selling out the stadium mostly before the season even started.
    It's not that unusual I don't think, when you sell out, you usually do it well in advance.
    Atlanta is still dope though.

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  21. jeffclimbs

jeffclimbs Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I haven't seen anyone "devalue" what Atlanta is doing this year. Whether they buy into sketchy baseball comparisons is another matter....

harrylee773 repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Specifically there are only 11 non-football only stadiums in the U.S. and Canada that seat 46K or more:

O.co Coliseum (63k) - Oakland A's and Raiders. 67th largest stadium in the U.S, Canada, and Mexico.
    Dodger Stadium (56k)
    Yankee Stadium (52k)
    Coors Field (50k) - Colorado Rockies
    Turner Field (50k) - Atlanta Braves
    Rogers Center (50k) - Toronto Blue Jays
    Globe Life Park (49k) - Texas Rangers
    Chase Field (49k) - Arizona Diamondbacks
    Camden Yards (49k) - Baltimore Orioles
    Safeco Field (47k) - Seattle Mariners
    Busch Stadium (47k) - St.. Louis Cardinals

So realistically outside of football only the A's and the Dodgers could pull 46k without being within 10% of a sellout game

Kejsare and Sachsen repped this.
  23. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Does anyone do a reverse-attendance table? What each team gets on the road?

Thx,

Jay!

24. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  25. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As I was sitting as part of that 25,358 crowd on a Friday night in Toronto, I remember thinking "yeah, this will be an average sized crowd for MLS this weekend" :)

The Irish Rover, jeffclimbs and mbar repped this.