MLS 2017 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Mar 4, 2017.

1. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    At 45k for their 3rd game with 6 days until the game it makes you wonder how many they could sell if they had the space. 60k? I actually think more.

Soccerglue repped this.
  2. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's looking like MLS moving up the Loons start date and the absolute reamings they took in the first two games, has really hurt them, at least in the short term.

The new stadium might afford them a bit of a reboot though. I hope so.

The Franchise repped this.
  3. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New digs can certainly help. It's another reason for curious minds to check it out, plus it creates a feeling of "home" more so than a temporary college stadium can

barroldinho repped this.
  4. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Doesn't seem to be hurting atlanta. If anything it is holding them back.

jayd8888, matbluvenger and Soccerglue repped this.
  5. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Touché

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minneapolis metro area population is (according to Google) 25% larger than the Denver metro area.

7. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reasons why the Loons are struggling (?)
    1.The FO banked on expansion holiday and have been piss-poor with advertising.
    2.TCF Bank Stadium SUCKS!!!
    3.Zygy is vindictive a-word who wouldn't let the team play at US Bank (which would have sucked but more would be attending)
    4.Those major drubbings hurt and has set the narrative for a disinterested sports media
    5.This is MN and the Wild had their best season ever. Visions of the Stanley Cup was dancing in everyone's head

All in all I'm not worried; like everything with this club they've been slow and had little ramp up time for MLS. For me this first season has always had the feel of a soft launch. By the time the club moves into it's home in St. Paul they will be pulling sellouts like KC and hopefully by then the plan laid out on building this club for that opening will be hitting on all cylinders.

harrylee773 and Egbert Sousé repped this.
  8. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denver and MSP are the two smallest cities with all five leagues. But Denver is 500-800K smaller, whether one uses metro or greater metro numbers. Minnesota is also home to a disproportionate number of large corporations, so getting sponsors, i.e. Target, should be easier for each team.

I've argued before that Denver is a four-sport town with five teams. (No idea which one would be the best to relocate, except not the Broncos, though.) If Minnesota isn't a full-suite city, it's the next closest.

jayd8888, okcomputer and JasonMa repped this.
  9. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    It has been mentioned before but with MSP you also have to take into account the large collegiate athletic programs. I don't think Denver area has any large college athletic programs, but I could be wrong. I can't figure out where the main University of Colorado campus is.

Edit: It looks like it is in Boulder which is very close to Denver so my point may be invalid.

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not THAT close.

11. NeilB

NeilB Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Mount Kisco, NY
    I think if the team continues its improved form then attendance will pick up somewhat. Fans love the gritty underdog but will not put up with buffoons.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Average after week 8
    2015 - 20.931
    2016 - 21,137
    2017 - 20,460
    Big week to come with Seattle and Atlanta playing at home.

edcrocker and Egbert Sousé repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close enough to jam up the 36 on football game day (at least when the team is good). Also CSU and Air Force are an hour's drive away. Not that they draw a ton of people from the metro area but that's 3 D-1 teams with an hour of some part of the Denver metro area.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6. You can't play the Rapids every week

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're gonna start getting into the whole "what's within an hour's drive," then pretty much US every metro area in MLS has big-time college athletics that should be considered.

And when CU football isn't winning a lot, the Denver media pretends that CU athletics doesn't really exist. TBH, you see more coverage of DU hockey and lacrosse, but that's because they're winning national championships.

(BTW, let's not act like jamming up 36 is any big deal. It happens twice a day every weekday.)

Sal Paradise, UxSxAxfooty and JasonMa repped this.
  16. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not related to anything in particular.

[​IMG]

HailtotheKing, Kejsare, jayd8888 and 3 others repped this.
  17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #792 The Irish Rover, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    As the party whose post triggered this R argument, I guess it's my place to acknowledge that whether not including results in posts on this thread was a rule or a "rule," common sense and a moment's thought would, ahem, "suggest" waiting until the day after the game. I didn't think about it so my apologies to all..

[​IMG]

If there are other rules besides actual vs reported attendance is verboten except in passing,* it would be good to have them posted, perhaps at the start of the thread or of the month. If there aren't, why not lighten up a bit? And maybe lighten up, even if there are those rules.

** i.e. "I know we have to go on the reported attendance, but if team X has so few people actually using their tickets there's trouble in that market. Their concession and parking revenues would be way off" is - just about - OK

harrylee773, JasonMa and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  18. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And this is a very important consideration - Seattle and Atlanta have both played only 2 home games and 5 away games. The MLS average will move upwards as Seattle and Atlanta catch up with the home games. (Houston has had 5 home and 2 away).

AZUL GALAXY and The Irish Rover repped this.
  19. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    If the Loons played at US Bank Stadium there would be even more complaining. The US women played there last year and got a respectable 23k crowd and it looked positively Revs-like.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Differences 2017 - 2016
    SEA + 3175
    MON + 2293
    DAL + 1565
    DCU + 1256
    CHI + 1130
    COL + 1022
    POR 0
    SJE 0
    ----------------
    NYR -104 *
    RSL -438
    SKC -726
    PHI -933 *
    NER -1618 *
    VAN -1669
    HOU -3543
    LAG -3586
    NYC -4043 *
    CLB -4486 *
    ORL -13561
    TOR (no home games in 2016)
    *I would suggest these were weather affected. There may be more...

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well after today's article in FourFourTwo where Pablo openly admits they're punting on this season you can kiss any attendance hopes in Colorado goodbye.

nlsanand, Gamecock14 and Centennial repped this.
  22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A tough, awkward scenario in all sports. Obviously the optimal scenario involves fans willing to ride along, offering support while clinically looking toward the prospective changes for the next year's hope. Are the youth coming along? Are we tailoring the side to the stars we want to keep? Are the wasteful players being benched/offered for trade? It's a tough ask even for the mighty NFL. Hopefully you lot can muster through.

Wanna buy/trade for Kenwyne Jones?

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And one usually not (openly) approached in the 2nd month of the season after less than 20% of the games have been played.

Kejsare, jayd8888 and Todorojo repped this.
  24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed. Certainly plenty of time left and regardless not the kind of thing you publicly announce before the midway point. Yet now it's out there.

As my boss would say, every mistake is an opportunity to learn how to do it better next time. Maybe this is the segue to a sharper fan/team dialogue?

25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    link?

whiteonrice04 repped this.