MLS 2017 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Mar 4, 2017.

1. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year they had additional seating put in for the Grey Cup and outdoor NHL game, Toronto game was a bonus (there were 6,000 extra seats). If the stadium held 60,000, there would have been 60,000 at the game.

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yes, yes we all know that. Thus the wink.

firefan2001 and TOareaFan repped this.
  3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

The fact that TFC had a parade to which people actually came is just insane to me... The last time the Galaxy won a title they held an event at Stubhub Center, to which 1500 people bothered to come to...

When Saturday Comes, Len and edcrocker repped this.
  4. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Last few years have had great responses by cities to MLS Cup winners. I remember Portland and Seattle also having great turn outs to see their clubs. I love seeing the sport resonate in the United States and Canada.

ken0sha, Kejsare and edcrocker repped this.
  5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The last time the Galaxy won MLS Cup was 2014, which falls within "last few years". MLS 1.0 cities continue to not give a shit about their teams. (Actually give less of a shit - the Galaxy had 6k show up to their victory celebration at Staples Center after their first MLS Cup win.)

6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Not having too much experience with most MLS markets I can't be sure but it is my impression that the MLS team in Toronto is viewed much more seriously than are MLS teams in many other places. In Toronto, TFC is just one of the professional sports teams. It gets full coverage in the media and sports fans in the city talk about the team as they would any other.

ukraine76 and edcrocker repped this.
  7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Can't speak for other markets...but what you say is, largely, true about Toronto.....part of it is that the fan base has been, more or less, consistently good throughout the team's 11 year history but part of it is is also because it has shared ownership with the hockey and basketball teams and the owner works very hard at treating it as a big league, promotable, marketable product just like those.

There are still naysayers here too (and the same two groups that I bet you will find elsewhere - 1) the "soccer sucks" crowd who prefer traditional NA sports and 2) the "MLS sucks compared to EPL/LaLiga/insertleaguenamehere" crowd ) but they seem to be heard from less and less.

Winning really helps in Toronto.....it has been a long time since anyone in a truly North American footprint league has won and brought attention to the city.....so the last couple of years has really seen the attention/acceptance of TFC in the mainstream zoom.

edcrocker, jayd8888 and Egbert Sousé repped this.
  8. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

edcrocker repped this.
  9. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    edcrocker repped this.
  10. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    RfrancisR and FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

This was Plans A-C as far as I know. It's back to square one for NYCFC.

edcrocker repped this.
  12. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If they build at Square One would the team be known as Mississauga City FC or would they still be called NYCFC?

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  13. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well apparently you don't know too far.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    what

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the NYCFC bid was a half-hearted back-up plan.. Seems like they made the correct choice?

TheJoeGreene and Egbert Sousé repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on TV coverage there must have been 20-25k at Met-Life Stadium today. It'll probably go in the books as 75k.

18. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well LAFC have apparently sold out their season tickets. "New Team Buzz" of course, but it has to be said that for the all the on-field successes, the Galaxy are disgustingly half-arsed about their approach to marketing.

I go to every home game but didn't go to that event. Most likely because I had other commitments and their efforts to promote such events have dwindled from reaching out with phone calls in the run-up, to a single e-mail blast a week before that gets lost amongst the spam.

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably a good thing we stopped tracking the Attendance via the AAAQ, with the full grid of analysis. the <10k number has to be the worst in the last 5+ years and we have to be behind in a number of categories from last year. The excitement of expansion and Atlanta allows us to think we are doing better than we are in some ways.

NashSC repped this.
  21. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I agree. I have been super optimistic the last several years with attendance. This year has brought be back to reality. A lot of teams really struggling.

Lancaster FC repped this.
  22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Justin Meram said in an interview, paraphrased, some teams are getting left behind (he may have said under-performing).

Hopefully DCU fans will pack their new stadium :cautious:

23. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember 2017!