MLS 2016 TV Thread (Ratings, Historical Data, Contracts etc)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan123, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    #1326 RfrancisR, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Well, that's why there's bound to be overlap. But there's still competition however, because most people aren't going to watch every soccer game available when there are so many choices available. 95% of my club soccer viewing is MLS. I watch an occasional EPL game but that's it.

There's overlap, but the numbers demonstrate that some folks are watching EPL but not MLS.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well someone that follows EPL and then starts following MLS does not necessarily becomes a switcher, he could become a follower of both.

I definitely know many Liga MX followers and EPL followers that became MLS followers but continue to follow the other leagues.

So out of the 43K number you use, it does not automatically means EPL will lose all 43K .

looknohands repped this.
  3. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    The absolute soccer diehards who have time to follow every competition on TV are a minority. The soccer fans who also follow one or several other US sports only have so many hours out of the week to devote to soccer--these are the ones MLS loses to the foreign leagues (especially in markets that have no nearby MLS teams).

ukraine76 repped this.
  4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Dallas - Arabe Unido got 93k

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    But are they truly losing them "to the foreign leagues" or the other domestic sports? If the EPL and Bundesliga were not on early morning TV then there's still a high likelihood that casual US sports guy will stick with college football or the NBA during the afternoon and evening broadcasts. I don't know many people who turn away from MLS because their fix is satiated by the earlier beIn broadcast.

Stupid_American repped this.
  6. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Most Premier League games get the early morning all to itself. It's MLS that has to go up against football and basketball in the same afternoon timeslot. If someone wants to get their soccer, football and basketball fix all in one day, MLS is the more likely of the two soccer leagues to get jettisoned.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    But again, you're implying that fans have a budget of hours for the one sport and I don't know many/any people who operate that way. All the footie fans I know watch multiple leagues and if they turn to another US sport it's because of a stronger passion for that sport/team, not because they've had their fill of soccer for the day. If you're watching the Prem or La Liga it's because nothing else is on or because you're a fan, in which case that doesn't preclude you from watching MLS later. What does draw people away is the array of options that come alive when MLS is in action.

The only way I know people are drawn to another league at the expense of MLS is the quality of play, where fans used to high end skill so easily recognize the weaknesses of MLS players that it becomes difficult to watch. But that's not saying they're maxing out their fixed amount of hours being a fan on any weekend chasing another league, they simply view the product in a different light. For if that's the reason then it also holds that they'll become more of a fan and viewer as the quality in MLS improves.

Put simply, while I agree the abundance of options is a problem I don't think other leagues being on TV is the core issue with regards to TV viewership, except for Liga MX since that's often the same time frame and a significant part of our domestic base.

looknohands repped this.
  8. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand what some of you are saying. There is absolutely some cannibalization from EPL and other matches. I certainly know fans who watch more MLS in the summer when EPL is not on. Most people just don't watch more than 2 games per day. So, if they already watched 2 EPL games in the morning, they will not watch an MLS game.

Even as big of an MLS fan as I am, I will not watch the 3rd game of the triple-header if I already watched the first two.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not arguing that there is no impact from foreign leagues, merely the scope of the impact. The real question is what are you doing when MLS games are on, because in those moments there is traditionally no foreign competition save LMX. At those times you're doing 1 of 3 things: Watching MLS, watching other sports, or doing something else entirely. Often that last one is down to weekend chores or leisure activities, in which case MLS is competing with every other form of entertainment, just as the other pro leagues. If you're choosing another sport then odds are you're a traditional US sports fan where you've grown up watching college football, MLB, hockey, or whatever. You have established allegiances and enjoy our local sporting rituals. MLS is still weaving its way into that fabric.

If you're watching the EPL in the morning and then passing on MLS in the afternoon it's likely that at least part of the reason is the convenience allowed by the schedule. "I can watch Liverpool over breakfast and then take junior to the park in the afternoon before mowing the lawn." If you come back in to watch sports that afternoon then you face the choice - MLS or another sport. Odds are if you choose MSU vs Wisconsin it's because you want to see that more than MLS, not because you're burnt out from soccer but because now there are other options. The only way we can definitively say foreign leagues are taking viewers away from MLS is finding an opportunity to have them broadcast at about the same time. (See: LMX) Otherwise I'm watching Arsenal and the EPL, and then enjoying MLS later.

Which is why IMO the core reason someone might call themselves a footie fan and watch other leagues but not watch MLS is down to other causes and influences than simply saying they have a budgeted amount of time they'll dedicate to the sport. They have to have a core reason to say why they're not choosing MLS and often it's because they like another sport/team more, they are not keen on the calibre of play, they're doing some other activity at those times, or they're waiting for a team to connect with them. It might also mean they're watching these foreign leagues but only passively because it beats the Saturday morning news programs!

Bottom line: Does MLS need to lure fans from foreign leagues into supporting MLS? Yes, but it's not an MLS vs EPL issue. It's an MLS and EPL issue, and making them committed enough to the domestic league that they can turn that on instead of baseball, or hoops, etc. because that's what MLS is competing with for viewers.

But that's just me.

Kejsare repped this.
  10. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Or maybe MLS should start all their games at 10AM to beat the European clubs to the punch. ;)

UCFWayne, Boloni86 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want a realistic comparison compare EPL on cable to MLS.

The Fox 3 pm slot would be a perfect time to show MLS until the college football season starts. I mean how often can you show The 40 Year-Old Virgin?

Edited; they're showing cars going around in circles on Sunday.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Bubba1971, RfrancisR and GunnerJacket repped this.
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    You mean auto racing, the most popular spectator sport in the world

15. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for a 2017 thread and close this one, I think? @Ismitje @KCbus

16. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should just be renamed as the general MLS TV ratings thread and remove the year.

Since we have no one managing it any more we don't want to lose all the history that is in the beginning of the thread by starting a new one IMO.

UCFWayne repped this.
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I defer to @KCbus on this one.

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell did I do wrong?

Sachsen, JasonMa and sitruc repped this.
  19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, though... I think a break-off-and-start-fresh approach usually works best. There are always new posters/readers coming by who can be intimidated by seing 54 pages of stuff to read, and the old thread can always be linked to.

We'll go that route.

Len, PTFC in KCMO, Sachsen and 1 other person repped this.