News: MLS 2016 Season (other teams)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is only so much sleuthing we fans can do, so I don't know why the Revs need to be like the Kremlin Politburo. Some day MLS will be big enough that it will be impossible to keep secrets. Well. MLS is starting to get that big, but if the Revs continue to shun any kind of attention, they will always be irrelevant.

If they are scouting in a "small" country, it might be easier to figure out who it might be. Let's say we found out Burns was on a flight to South Africa. There's probably a short list of guys who could play in MLS who might make a move. Factor in the positional need, and you can probably figure it out.

But if he's going to, say, France, there are a lot of "wish list" players way beyond our price range, but also a lot of guys playing at a lesser club than PSG who could be very good players for us. We got 2 guys from the Swiss league, so it wouldn't shock me to see them dip their fishing pole into that pond again.

Then again I figured out we were going to sign Steve Howey from the time I brought my cat to the vet's office, so anything is possible.

2. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Surprised he didn't go to one of the expansion teams. They'd have given him more minutes.

3. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big slightly obscured news in Atlanta's continual crushing of this off season is that they intend to spend in the Almiron's range again for their 3rd DP.

It feels like we are not even playing in the same league some times with how little new we have :(

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly San Jose are down to 5 finalists for their vacant GM job.

Honest question: would the Revs even have 5 finalists for a vacant GM or coach position?

7. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the fact that Atlanta's owner also owns an NFL team will eventually shame Mr Kraft into stepping up.

8. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Atlanta is going all in with the South American strategy as they try and fill out the first years roster
    ==============

Atlanta United closing in on young trio from Newell’s Old Boys
    http://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/201...ta-united-newells-old-boys-loan-transfer-news

Valenzuela is an 18-year-old left back who has cracked into the first team at Newell’s this year. Valenzuela is a 21-year-old center back who was in the mix as a young player when Martino managed the squad in 2013 prior to leaving for Barcelona.

Joaquin Torres is a 19-year-old attacking central midfielder. He joined Newell’s when he was twelve years old after three trials against other talented young players at his age. He is small, fast, and has scored goals with the junior teams of the club.

These additions would be loans, with Atlanta United having an option to buy the players’ rights if they choose. There is another player, 21-year-old Franco Escobar, that Martino likes but Newell’s does not want to let him leave.

9. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    In Kraft's defence, Arthur Blank is hardly contributing any of his own money to build the new SphincterDome because the government down here can't give away our tax dollars to sports owners fast enough. So of course AUFC has more money to spend. Each new signing by AUFC could have been a new school or a bunch of playgrounds or public parks or pay raises for local police officers, but who needs that?

a517dogg and BrianLBI repped this.
  10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one more black check mark against Burns. There is no reason Okoli couldn't have stayed with the Revs (they certainly had the roster slots) and spent the year winning the USL Golden Boot with Rochester instead of Cincy.

Epic. Fail.

TheLostUniversity and Crooked repped this.
  11. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Or even won it with Cincy, just on a loan to a non-Rhinos club. After all we had roster spots open. It would have cost us nothing to have kept him and yet given him his wish of playing time by giving him a season long loan.
    Now let's watch Steve Neumann head to some random USL club, light it up and return to MLS as a player with value.

TheLostUniversity and NFLPatriot repped this.
  12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it was just "bad luck," I tell ya!

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said when I ran into Harkes in NY, he didn't have much complimentary to say about Heaps. Also this...

14. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fail, yes, epic, the jury's still out. Let's see how Okoli does against MLS competition -- he could be the equivalent of what they call in baseball a 4-A player -- good enough to be great against AAA, but not good enough in the majors.

We definitely aren't good at all when it comes to player development. While this would be helped by an effective Rochester pipeline, I'd argue that if there's an epic fail here, it's mostly on the part of Heaps for not cultivating what was there in Okoli as a player.

BERich and NFLPatriot repped this.
  15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what harm is it in telling people that Burns and Heaps have scouted in say Belgium, Holland and France and are planning on going to Germany and finishing up on Switzerland? Stupid. Instead of trying to maintain interest with the fans by giving them a little crumb they try and alienate them by cutting them off from all information

ToMhIlL and Crooked repped this.
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Revs could have held on to him and loaned him out to Cincinnati or whoever else, but it seems that Okoli was probably looking to move anywhere from here. Heaps' stubborn insistence of playing a single striker meant that there were no minutes for a proven guy like Charlie Davies, much less a young guy trying to work his way in. The fact that Davies, a local guy with 2 infants needing medical care asked out of the place with perhaps the best medical facilities in the world says a lot.

18. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard not to be impressed (at least on paper) with what Atlanta has done so far. Today it looks like they traded for an old friend that should be a steady piece for them in the back
    =========================

Sources have confirmed to Goal USA that Atlanta United has completed a trade with the Columbus Crew to acquire veteran central defender Michael Parkhurst in exchange for allocation money.

MM66 repped this.
  19. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I thought he didn't want to come back here because of the turf...

20. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least for the first year, he will be playing on grass in Atlanta.

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason I thought Bobby Dodd was Field Turf, but I don't folow college FB at all, so what do I know? But isn't the new place going to be ready some time in the middle of the summer?

Still, it is amazing how you can build a team from scratch and it looks like they could be pretty competitive right out of the gate.

22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its is amazing what an ownership group can do that is not afraid to spend money

23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an old article (Feb 2016), but it says they plan to open June 1st.

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-fa...m-to-feature-innovative-synthetic-turf-system

24. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

http://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/201...lanta-united-bobby-dodd-schedule-stadium-2017

"Mercedes-Benz Stadium won’t be complete until 'late June to early July'”

I've heard rumours that it may not be ready to go until just before the NFL preseason kicks off, and the cynical New Englander that I am 'knows' that was the main target date all along.

Apparently the delay is related to the additional roof reinforcements needed to support all of the Falcons banners. (Forgot where I heard it, but I love that one!) :p

NFLPatriot repped this.
  25. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to wiki it was astro turf between 1971-1994. All other years dating back to 1913 is grass.