MLS 2015!

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by Dammit!, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Just heard on Channel 2 that an investor is onboard for entrance fee (50 mil) and an invitation to MLS is expected in 3-4 months. Couldn't catch much more...

MadRHatter repped this.
  2. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa...

Need to look that one up.

3. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not finding anything about it on their site. Maybe they'll put something up later?

4. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    WESH 2 news - Heath was interviewed...

5. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Link? Video?

6. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is this a joke?

7. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Channel 2 is the local NBC affiliate. Others say they didn't see anything last night, so I'll take this as BS.

Even if it was true, the team isn't going to discuss it officially. But it would make an interesting story. It would also fit the current timeframe for the team announcing a stadium deal.

8. lisab

lisab Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Orlando
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw it. Heath said they expect to get the "invite" to MLS in 3 to 4 months. Hope to play in the 2014 season or 2015 at the latest.

Dammit! repped this.
  9. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I will expect to be overwelmed by apologies, reps, and tithes in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.... :)

10. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Dude, I'll be the first to gift-wrap all that stuff, but I just looked around (wesh.com, orlandosentinel.com, ocsc.com, mls.com, Ives, etc) and couldn't find anything. What else did the report say?

11. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be easier if the interview were, well, I dunno, posted on WESH's website.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I for one would LOVE this to be true. A team down in Florida that is sustainable? Awesome.

13. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    You guys could have hours-long sex and not believe it happened if it wasn't linked or posted on a website. :D

That's really all I remember - I had a 3 year old around at the time.... sorry.

14. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Hold Dammit Jr. up to the keyboard and ask him/her what they heard on Channel 2 last night...

I kid.

(No pun intended.)

(...whoa, that was horrible. Terribly sorry.)

Nacional Tijuana and Dammit! repped this.
  15. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
  16. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Admittedly the "If this is really real..." argument is weak, but: can you imagine the tidal wave of fan gear the team would sell in the next several days and weeks when active supporters find out the team has actually succeeded in reaching MLS? This is just off the top of my head, but really, if this team we already love were suddenly to have that final confirmation of MLS entry, how much more would any of the various supporter's groups want to be cranked all the way to 11 for everything in gear and signs and whatnot else, especially with preseason just kicking off and the Disney cup about to get underway in a few days, not that anything definitive is going to happen by this weekend. And of course, it's all meaningless if the supposed announcement turns out to be scheduled for the dreaded and reviled "next 60 to 90 days" timeframe that many MLS fans, and specifically DC United fans waiting for concrete stadium news, have long-since relegated to the abject hatred category. But still.

17. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Any other news yet?

18. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We play in less than 48 hours. You all going to be there?

19. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You guys aren't paying attention. No one is getting into MLS before NY2. No one. The league has spent a ton of time and money working on making this happen. They aren't going to stop what they're doing to let anyone else in line. 2017 is the earliest anyone besides NY2 is getting in, mark it down.

20. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Wow, Dan Garber himself decided to post here. What an honor.

Bottom line is that NY can't get it together on a stadium deal and Orlando is. Maybe announcements are premature but it sure looks like it's the home stretch and we are a couple lengths in the lead!

22. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just goes to further prove the point that you can't reason with blind-arse fans. You guys will just believe whatever you want to believe and ignore pesky things like facts and common sense. Not much else to say except wait and see how it unfolds. You won't be happy, but then, no one is always happy right? LOL Your team is now the farm club for an MLS franchise. That's as close to MLS as you're getting for quite some time, whether or not you like it, believe it, or embrace it.

23. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Uhhmm, I don't see the "reason"ing behind anything you say - therein lies the problems. It's all just factually deprived conclusions.

On second thought, without factually deprived conclusions, BigSoccer would be a total of 3 pages.... Carry On!

24. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LOL Like I said, blind fans. The world is full of them, you are part of the vast majority, so don't sweat it. The facts are that anyone who has been paying attention can plainly see that NY2 is going to be #20. It was decided long ago. The league would not be spending so much of their own, wait, let's read that again, their own time and money to get everything in place for NY2 if it wasn't their top priority. Not to mention the fact that everyone who asks about #20 gets the same standard league response of they are focused on NY2 at the moment. That's it. That says it all right there. They are focused on NY2. Because the Dan makes a visit to your town and says nice things doesn't mean they are changing their focus. They don't need Orlando. They don't need Minnesota. They don't need Detroit. They don't need Atlanta or South Florida. The league is in a far different place then it was 10 years ago when they were desperate for markets that could make a go of it. The tables have turned. They are in a position now to pick and choose where they want to be. And you know where they want to be? In NYC. You know what gives them a huge factor in their favor in negotiating the next TV deal (which, by the by, is the way for this league and all of the owners thanks to SUM, to start making money)??? It's not Orlando, sorry. It's New York. The situation really is simple, unless you don't want to see it. Orlando has a chance, as good a chance as anyone outside of NY for a future expansion slot. But it ain't happening before 2017 at the earliest. Believe it...or not! LOL

25. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like I can help out here. Yes, MLS wants NYC as an expansion team. Yes, MLS is doing the legwork to make that happen. And yes, that work is currently ongoing.

Now, for the S&M mind blow... from all these reports, Orlando is going to do their own legwork to also become a MLS expansion franchise. No sweat off of MLS's back. All MLS has to do is say "ok" and take the $50 million check to the bank. Its not an either/or situation.

If NYC clears all their hurdles first, then fine. Congrats MLS. In Orlando gets everything setup first, then fine, way to go Orlando. As far as MLS is concerned, NYC is an expansion team - #20 or #21 they don't care. They just want it to happen. If something else comes along in the meantime, great. No, MLS will not divert any attention to getting Orlando setup, but it sounds like Orlando doesn't need the babysitting like NYC.