MLS 2014 TV Thread (Ratings, contracts etc)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan123, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4151 joehooligan0303, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    Just FYI, ESPN/MLS have stated that they are planning on creating a subscription plan for those who don't have access to WatchESPN to be able to watch the non-network games. I know this doesn't solve the whole problem that MLS live provided, but I believe you will at least be able to subscribe to a plan that will give you access to all the MLS games that are on WatchESPN/ESPN. I believe in the end this will be very similar to what we had with MLS Live minus the spanish game and fox games.

I am concerned about losing the condensed matches from MLS Live. Having that option was extremely nice. That is how I found the time to watch every game each week. I really doubt WatchESPN is going to have that option.

Even though I have access to WatchESPN and will ultimately save money because I won't have to pay the small fee for MLS Live I am pretty bummed also. MLS Live was freaking awesome and I am not confident we will get that level with WatchESPN.

The ability to pause live games...currently WatchESPN doesn't have that.
    One thing I used to do with MLS Live is start the game and then immediately pause it. Leave it paused as I did whatever I needed to do then came back to it and played it. This way I didn't have to wait for them to post the whole game on MLS Live. It was really nice if you just needed an hour or two before you could watch the game.

2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would much rather pay $60/year for a 100% dependable, HD stream with viewing controls than watch an iffy pirated stream that is hard to view even if you're running the world's best pop-up blocker.

terrier and joehooligan0303 repped this.
  3. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Meh, I'm probably not making much of a point by saying that. We all loved MLS Live.

MLSFAN12 and AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  4. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just upset about Univision's exclusivity. I don't think their secondary networks have anywhere near the market penetration to rate being sold an exclusive deal. My cable system is based in Cleveland Heights, hardly the sticks, and they didn't carry Galavision until recently. Now they do, but the games have been moved to UniMás, which they don't carry.

Univision's previous agreement allowed local broadcasters to show an English-language version of the game. So if the Crew were on the Spanish-language game, I could still watch it on the local channel. But if this new agreement truly is exclusive, then any Crew fan who can't find a TV that has UniMás is SOL.

------RM

MLSFAN12 repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4155 ceezmad, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    Unimas has a bigger penetration than Galavision.

Plus it is over the air in most markets, so you don't even need cable.

Both are bigger than what Fox Soccer channel used to be.

But...

So yes some big holes. (as of 2013)

http://www.lagconfidential.com/2013/3/5/4068306/unimas-availability-leaves-some-mls-fans-in-the-dark

I looked for Unimas households, but can't find it, I remember they are close to 60M, I know NBCSN used to be around 70M when they first signed MLS (I think NBCSN is over 80M now).

I would not be surprised if FS1 is in less house holds than Unimas.

6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Univision's live streaming is pretty good, and I don't think it requires a subscription for most things. They did charge a fee for the quarterfinals and after in the World Cup, but all games before that were free without authentication, which made it easer to use than ESPN's World Cup streaming. I've also watched Mexican games without needing a password, though I can't guarantee anything about what the access policy will be for MLS games.

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolt, MLSFan123 and jayd8888 repped this.
  8. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
  9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm not up on all of their subscription model, but I do know uivision also has a model like other networks where streaming is free if you log-in with your provider.

Also, it's worth remembering univision already had "exclusive" broadcast rights to some games. That didn't mean they were the sole broadcaster or even the only nationally available broadcast.

10. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally. I have been using my dads account for so long now.

11. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    IIRC Univision is having Englsih with the SAP button, so that's something.

12. Cpress

Cpress Member

Dec 15, 2014
    Fs1 is in 85mill homes. Nbcsn 82mill

ceezmad repped this.
  13. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if it's that kind of "exclusivity", I'm fine. I just want to know that I'm going to be able to see all 34 Columbus games. If I can't watch a certain MLS game each week, I'll be annoyed. But if I can't watch a Crew game in f***in' Ohio, I'm going to be enraged.

The language doesn't bother me a bit. I don't need people telling me what's going on -- I can use my eyes.

Again, what pisses me off is that I never had to worry about this before. Just give MLS 60 bucks and they make sure you can see every single game, maybe not live but you can watch it. Now I'm going to have to keep track of three different providers, just to get fewer features than I had before. (And maybe fewer games.)

------RM

14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have DirectTV, you can not "legally" log in to the WatchESPN app or ESPN3 to access items that are currently being shown on ESPN/ESPNU/ESPN2/etc.

However, depending on your isp, you will still be able to legally access any ESPN3 only content.

As a DirecTV owner I can watch anything on ESPN3 as long as it is not something that is being broadcast on one of their channels.

joehooligan0303 repped this.
  16. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    you probably had ESPN3 through your internet provider. watchESPN is ESPN3+ live ESPN programming.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this seems to be a general thread for all media rights:

Great news. I have free access to ESPN3, but may well spring for MLS Live anyway because of the additional features.

redinthemorning and USSoccerNova repped this.
  18. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    If true this would be a nice addition.

19. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see a tiered approach for MLS Live. I've got access to ESPN3, but getting condensed matches, archives, etc. at a reduced price would be appreciated.

20. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We knew MLS Live would still be available for international subscribers, I wonder if that's what he's referring to?

21. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    This would be great!

22. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By international you mean Canada and Mexico? Because those are the only countries outside the US.

23. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    When it was mentioned it was in the context of Canada. No idea about Mexico.

24. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm hoping MLS Live will be available to subscribers based in the USA when they are overseas.

25. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN did promise that all fans would have access to the MLS streams, whether they had cable or not. Working with MLS to allow MLS Live to continue would be the simplest way to achieve this.

And I gotta believe that MLS would rather not step backwards from MLS Live, and its all-games-in-one-place model with condensed games and archives, if at all possible.

Here's hoping I still have MLS Live in some form come March!

------RM

holiday repped this.