MLS 2013 Week 21 Continuous PBP Thread [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ImaPuppy, Jul 16, 2013.

1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    What happens when a stoppable force meets a movable object? You'll all find out tomorrow night as CUSA takes on TFC in what I'm dubbing the Disclaimer Bowl*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So come one, come fifteen or so, to the second greatest thread on BigSoccer**

* Major League Soccer and its related entities are not responsible for any loss of vision or sanity incurred while viewing this match. Viewer discretion is advised...seriously, be discrete, no one should know you're watching this.

** Second to "Ismitje abusing his mod power and is also a liar" of course.

As always, keep it friendly and neutral in the PBP thread!

Paging all of you who value BigSoccer over family time.

2. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foaming at the mouth over that CUSA-TFC showdown.

onefineesq and Jough repped this.
  3. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're finally gonna find out what happens when a stoppable force meets a movable object.

redinthemorning, Oobers and ImaPuppy repped this.
  4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    It should be noted that this will be the last time I'll be making one of these threads for at least 2-2.5 months, so if someone wants to take over the responsibility starting next week (or give it back to Ismitje) that would be just dandy.

5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say Hi to Putin / al-Assad / Kim Jong-un / Morsi / Mourinho for us.

(....mum's the word... honest...)

ImaPuppy repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, the return, after a one-year absence, of the (almost) annual Jameson Night game in Colorado.
    [​IMG]

Followed by game in our dead zone. 7 competitive games in Seattle all time, 7 losses, -13 GD.

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

Yeah, but you guys didn't have:

[​IMG]

back then.

8. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I'll see your Jameson, and raise you this little ditty...

[​IMG]
    My brother got it for me as an apology for bailing on so many games this season. I love that man with all my heart.​

9. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I will be in bed by the time that Chivas/TFC match will kick off, but I've got a message for both teams involved in this match...

Sounders78 repped this.
  10. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I'm contemplating playing roller hockey tomorrow evening after work at, like, 6 pm. The temperature is expected to be 94 degrees with close to 90% humidity in the air. What do you think: Good idea or bad idea?

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

That seems like a terrible idea, and as such I think you should totally do it.

redinthemorning repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a better option, but that's not what works for this match. We're not tempting fate by changing the drink of choice. The only win by New England in Colorado since the start of the 2002 season was the second game in 2002 when Jameson Night was not held (it was 3 weeks after the first annual Jameson Night and the supporters didn't realize how important it was yet. ;))

13. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why it can't be both. :cool:

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It seems to me there are three main ways Chivas USA can disappoint me this week. First, they might lose to TFC, which would be really disappointing. Second, they might draw TFC, which would be almost as disappointing as losing to them. Third, they could beat TFC, which would be disappointing because it would mean that TFC is about the only team in MLS that Chivas USA has a reasonable shot at beating. (Well, there is one other team.) Point is, all outcomes are disappointing. And we haven't even begun to think about the other ways that Chivas USA might disappoint me this week.
    I nominate Ismitje!

In the meantime, it's time to argue about the abomination that is this Jammed Bus business. Supposedly this is given to a team that has a draw or a lead late in the game and then squanders those points right at the very end. How that is supposed to relate in any way to the GreenEDGE bus incident at the Tour de France is a mystery.

I say two things. First, if this award should be given (and I'm not sure it should), then it should be given to teams squandering leads after the 85th minute. Second, it should be named in honor of Toronto FC, a team that perfected the art of squandering leads late in games.

Toronto is sometimes called Hogtown. It's a nickname deriving from the city's old livestock industry.

When a team squanders a lead after the 85th minute, I say they got pigged and pictures of pigs should be posted to commemorate the event.

All that said, I definitely encourage others to suggest alternatives, to be contrarian, and to confuse this whole thing as much as possible.

sitruc, AndyMead, Hachiko and 2 others repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree that we can say losing a lead leads to the award. So far I've been using losing a lead or a draw in stoppage time but we can make it more exclusive. As to what the jammed bus on the finish line has to do with it, if you can't see the metaphor of a getting stuck while trying to cross the finish line and how it applies to a team blowing a lead late, well, I can't help you.

Though with the Tour ending this weekend, after this weekend's award (if any) then it would be an appropriate time to rename it.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    But they freed the bus and the race concluded OK. That never happened with Toronto FC.

RafaLarios, AndyMead, rslfanboy and 2 others repped this.
  17. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    There are pros and cons of doing this. On the pro side, I can do some serious sweating which will help me lose some weight. I'll get some good exercise. I won't have to cook dinner. My wife will do it when she gets home. On the con side, the surface that I would play on is plastic, and has small holes. It usually cooks really good. At that time of day, the sun would have been blaring on it for a good 7 or 8 hours and will be setting over top of it. It wouldn't surprise me if the temperature of the court got well over 100 degrees. If I go, I'll have to take my meat thermometer with me to see how hot it truly is. Also, there's that whole heat stroke thing that I have to worry about. I wouldn't play goalie, though, so I wouldn't have to worry about that. I played there last week when it was around 85 degrees, and I didn't die, but I did sweat a lot.

The court is not in particularly good shape because the City of Philadelphia's Department of Recreation cares not for the upkeep of the playgrounds of the poorer neighborhoods. My parents live in this neighborhood, so I grew up here my whole life. I hadn't gone to this hockey court since 2008, and to see it in such disrepair was heartbreaking after having played at that playground all my life. They put the surface in in June 1997. Most of the cracks are from wear and tear, but some are from people abusing it. It's still the best outdoor surface anywhere in the city because every other one will tear up your equipment because it's either on concrete or asphalt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Many people have begged the person who operates this particular playground to find some money to repair the surface because it's still the best outdoor surface in the city. Many of the players who play here said that they would even do the repairs themselves if they would order the pieces to replace the broken ones, but the person who runs it just doesn't give a damn. The person who also runs it also tore down the poles for two of the basketball backboards because "the (n-words) were coming to the court and starting fights," so now they can't play full court basketball. (There's a LOT of racism in Philadelphia, particularly in the neighborhood where my parents live.)​
    Anyway, I digress. I love soccer, but, man, did I LOVE playing roller hockey. I'm trying to get back into it, though, and there's no place I'd rather play that at this court.​

18. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    [​IMG]

AndyMead, tippose and Knave repped this.
  19. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Perhaps the award should be "getting porked" when most of the season and "jamming the bus" while the Tour is running?

JasonMa repped this.
  20. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I dunno... LA is doing a pretty good job of coughing up last min goals while TFC sucks, but doesn't give up late goals anymore

21. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    We doin' USA v CRC in this thread or last week's?

Weather channel forecast seems like The Gods are laughing at CRC complaints about Snowlazo

22. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

This one.

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one seems fine to me.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Copa Oro time at Mead Manor!

25. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Alright ladies and germs:

Grant Wahl@GrantWahl 2m
    USA lineup: Johnson; Parkhurst, Orozco, Goodson, Beasley; Holden, Diskerud; Bedoya, Donovan, Torres; Wondolowski.