MLS 2013 TV Ratings

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan123, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds very weird to me. I bought tickets in advance for Saudi Arabia - Morocco and my seats were in the very last row of an upper deck corner section. The stadium was full save for 1-2k seats. For Norway-Ireland, I had to pay $80 (which was HUGE MONEY for me then) for $25 face value ticket, which was again in the last row of section 305.

2. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    #3127 holiday, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    the u.s. is a great country for a wc.
    the reasons are: ready infrastructure; many major urban centers; attractive international destination...
    but interest in soccer is still far from being one of the reasons the u.s. can be a great choice.
    in '94 it would be way of a stretch to say the country got into the wc in some huge way. mass market coverage was superficial.
    today would be better, although i'm not sure by how much, tbh.

of course the '94 wc was huge for the launch of a domestic league. 100%. even if on the wc itself they had to put a little make-up.

3. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    what can i tell you... i was fifty yard line and never bought in advance nor paid full price. and it wasn't hard. there were all sorts of junior exec types unloading tix they must have got for free and didn't care about.
    i don't know beyond what i saw, but my guess is that a lot of tix went to corporations in the course of business, so to speak; or even may have been given away. which of course didn't help someone like you buying in the official retail channel.
    there was supposed to be a rule, no one even allowed into parking lots without ticket in hand. that was my only concern, that dopes at the lot entrance wouldn't let me in.
    but there was no problem. and heck, the ticket windows were open! tbh, i knew i didn't have to sweat tix.
    i wasn't at the games you mention, but i did see italy twice for example, which i would say was a premiere draw.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then how do you explain that photo? Clearly taken after a goal, so after the swoosh you reported, yet that upper deck is clearly full and that's a good third or more of the upper deck in that shot, not just the end zone.

jayd8888 repped this.
  5. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then your memory is obviously faulty, the picture does not lie.

Unless you are admitting to being completely drunk, the picture clearly shows that the upper deck was no where near half full.

6. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    This is reason that USA is not getting WC now because "international construction mafia" will not allow it. It is not that FIFA bribes official for votes but " construction mafia" who make biggest profit from WC. If USA get WC then there is nothing to build but in Qatar you need to build everything. ;)

7. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3132 MLSFan123, Dec 24, 2013
    Of course it weird. Look at his comment about the stadium upper deck being half full for the semi final.

The SA Morocco game was an unbelievable moment for the organizers. There was likely no other neutral country in the entire world that could have produced a crowd for that extremely low profile WC game.

I went to every game in Foxboro, and went to one game in Detroit and was extremely impressed by the crowds at every game.

8. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ps: your memory of this game appears to be as accurate as your memory of the other semi final

Here is a video of the Brazil Sweden game from the Rose Bowl. Start at time stamp 6:27 and watch for a while. The camera pans around and the stadium is full

9. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know the exact time the picture was taken. It was at the 25th minute of the first half (scoreboard shows a 2-0 scoreline).

Of course we might have missed that with the half empty stands getting in the way :)

10. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    careful. be very very careful here....
    again: i was there. the stadium wasn't full. it's not that big a deal. you were 'impressed' with attendance. fair enough.
    as for being drunk. speak for you and yours, asshole.

11. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a video that shows a great view of many angles of the upper deck. This was taken before kick off when some fans were probably still finding their way to their seats.

Please explain to us how this is half full again?

jayd8888 and Londo repped this.
  12. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do I have to be careful? I am producing evidence that clearly shows what you are saying is 100% false.

Please produce any evidence, either by picture, or video or even an article that says the upper deck was half empty.

13. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    #3138 holiday, Dec 24, 2013
    again. i was there. i've described the game, inside and outside gs. pictures these days aren't very good proofs of anything.
    at game time there was a large empty central section of the upper deck. the ends were much fuller. so it wasn't a question of late arrivals. the people in the poorer seats were looking around and literally at the opening whistle they rushed in a mass to the better seats. the mezzanine where i was, wasn't full either. (there was a guy some rows behind me, pbl at the only soccer game of his life, who started doing a dog bark at some point and kept it up literally until the end.)

it wasn't a failure, don't get me wrong. but the '94 wc didn't set the u.s. into any frenzy.
    and yes, it was huge for the launch of mls. it was definitely enough of a success for that. i mean, the u.s. could do a game here and there before, but this was the whole schabang from a to z. that was the impressive thing.

14. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    i've testified first hand, you dope.

15. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    i don't really care about your photo.
    i was there. i know what happened.
    if you don't want to believe me, i couldn't care less.
    i really and truly couldn't care less.
    i was there. i saw it all with my own eyes.
    oh, i forgot...
    merry x-mas to one and all.

16. Londo

Londo Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Game, set and match for this argument.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    And besides, the point of that was just how good the attendance was, and how that changed a lot of attitudes. It was a huge surprise at the time, but now it's just par for the course. Today the attitude is "Sell out the World Cup?? ******** that, we'll sell out the Confederations Cup."

18. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case people missed this, Fiosfan posted this video on two guys from Forbes debating the size of the next MLS tv contract. They don't say anything (either on the bull or bear side) that we have not said a million times already but it is always good to see both sides talking with facts.

We have predicted in the $45-$60M range for the next set of rights but the Forbes guys window appears to be a bit lower, probably more like $35-$47Mish range.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza...james-ownership-could-fuel-mlss-next-tv-deal/

Stupid_American repped this.
  19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    He probably saw a bunch of empty seats (inevitable in a venue that large) and decided its "half full".

20. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3145 MLSFan123, Dec 24, 2013
    I don't think anyone would argue a few empty seats here or there, that is normal as you said.

But he is also claiming large empty sections, of which simply is not true from any evidence we have. The youtube video clearly shows that the stands were neither half empty nor were there large empty sections in the middle, and that was before kick off when people still had not fully found their seats yet.

He basically dug himself a hole he could not get out of and he was reduced to the classic Wizard of Oz defense of "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" :)

21. Dennishz

Dennishz Member

Aug 8, 2002
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3146 Dennishz, Dec 24, 2013
    I agree with a lot of what is being said on both sides, but I think they are missing one other thing:

Schedule and TV times - I am a big MLS fan and will be the first to admit that our league's quality of play is inferior to many leagues in Europe, south america and even central america, but our schedule ant TV times are atrocious. We are asking non-MLS fans to search thoroughly for when games are being played. This coming year's 2014 schedule is no different. We have games in March starting at 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 6:00, 7:00, 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, 10:00 and 10:30. This is ridiculous, The league needs to provide current and prospective fans with a simpler schedule of when our games will be played

While talent will definitely make a difference, I can't help but think that a simpler schedule and start times would go a long way to in improving television ratings. To do this there is no need to even reinvent the wheel. We simply need to look no further than how the EPL or Bundesliga does it. All or most games are played on the same days and time. I always know that there will be an EPL game on Saturdays at 7:00, 10:00 and 12:30 and Sundays at 8:00 and 11:00. Even the NFL does it the right way with games on Thursday at 8:00, Sunday at 1:00, 4:00 and Monday's at 8:00.

MLS will not improve television ratings until it makes it easier for the television viewers to watch. Television start times and schedule should be the first priority.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NHL start times in December: 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 8:30, 9:00, 9:30, 10:00, 10:30 - 15 different times this month
    NBA start times tomorrow through Sunday: 12:00, 1:00, 2:30, 5:00, 6:00, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 8:30, 9:00, 9:30, 10:00, 10:30 - 13 different times in the next 5 days
    MLB for 3 days in April: 1:05, 1:10, 1:45, 3:05, 3:10, 4:05, 4:10, 4:15, 4:35, 6:10, 7:05, 7:07, 8:05, 8:15, 8:40, 10:10, 10:15 - 17 different times in 3 days
    and for completeness sake, NFL start times: 1:00, 4:05, 4:25, 8:25, 8:30, 8:40 - 6 different times each week

Other than the NFL American sports are all over the map with their start times. MLS actually has less start times in your example than any league but the NFL. The idea that this is the cause of MLS's TV problems is laughable.

fuzzx and ukraine76 repped this.
  23. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If MLS wants to maximize the amount of money they get in the next contract, I think they will have to do the following:

1) Give more control to the networks over game scheduling (whether this means a consistent time slot or not should be up to the tv networks to best define for their business)

2) Allow for some form of flex scheduling so that in the second half of the season the right games are being aired.

3) Lengthening the time of the contract (MLS will likely find another 8 year contract to be a higher value per year than what they are offered for a 5 or 3 year deal)

Now there are valid reasons why MLS would not want to do any of these three. They would have to bean count the possible negative affects on game day revenue of 1 and 2. They may also not want to do number 3 if they feel that they can grow the league (tv wise), such that they would be in a much stronger position for a new contract 3 years from this upcoming one.

There are many variables in play here and we are going to have to do our best to unwind them and piece together the story once the final deal is announced to see what MLS decided was important to them.

24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I hate flex scheduling. I get the appeal ... I'm just talking personally. I like seeing the full spectrum of teams ... the ones and top, middle and bottom. Flex scheduling will just mean the network latches on to 2 or 3 clubs and that's all we get.

FlashMan and JasonMa repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it will be quite that bad, but yeah, we're going to see a lot more of the top-of-the-table teams, along with the Cascadia clubs (due to atmosphere) and a lot less of the Wooden Spoon contenders.